What do you do?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
45k isn't bad for Saginaw at all, I could buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath house 3 blocks from work for 10,000 dollars if I wanted to.
What the fuck? For that cost I should just buy up a shit ton of houses, systematically dismantle them and then sell the raw materials in other markets for a profit. Then just sell the land when I'm done.

Vinen

God is dead
What the fuck? For that cost I should just buy up a shit ton of houses, systematically dismantle them and then sell the raw materials in other markets for a profit. Then just sell the land when I'm done.
lolmichigan

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Start full-time in about 2 weeks. Getting a little anxious. Feel like my life is over, etc.
And then you'll realize you're making money and can spend it on the kind of shit you always wanted to. And life feels like it's only just beginning.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
And then you'll realize you're making money and can spend it on the kind of shit you always wanted to. And life feels like it's only just beginning.
So much this, all those things I scoffed at when I couldn't afford them to make myself feel better! Travel to great places, nice cars, services to buy back some of your time (cleaning service for my house is priceless) etc. Just make sure to fight for balance, as a professional with the right skill at the job and force of will you don't have to give up your work/life balance. People are so afraid of negative consequences of not putting in the hours that they enslave themselves. In most situations (for professionals) this balance is far more up to you than you think!

On a side note, always be interviewing, amazing skill that if you master is will improve your income more than any job performance history.

Took a Solution Architect role with a pre-IPO NoSQL company recently, better pay (bonus is huge) and options ftw!
smile.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
they are fairly dumpy, but the price is probably lower due to the neighborhood. There is a fair amount of murdering in Saginaw proper.
Jesus Christ, man. Every post you make in this thread gets progressively more depressing.

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
Well I live out of town and commute. I am currently looking for employment in a different part of the state, I'm just waiting 6 months until I'm vested in my 401k. My situation is not tragic by any means. But Saginaw (and the surrounding townships) is a normal community being dragged down by a pocket of poverty and gang violence which consistently places us in the top 10 nationally for per capita violent crime. The hospital I work in is just inside the border of what might be considered the worst area. For example, I drove past the scene of the Milton hall shooting about 5 minutes before the police lit him up. It just happened to be on my route home. But if you drive a few minutes west it is a pretty harmless residential and commercial area: soccer fields, shopping malls, all that bullshit. I'm pretty grateful I don't need to go anywhere east side Saginaw though. Better yet there is no barrier to me getting the fuck out. Some of the people I work with don't have my education and are kind of stuck here, but they have jobs so they can move to the township at least. Its fucking Disneyland in the township.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So much this, all those things I scoffed at when I couldn't afford them to make myself feel better! Travel to great places, nice cars, services to buy back some of your time (cleaning service for my house is priceless) etc.
The very next thing on my list of things to acquire after a raise is a cleaning service. My girlfriend is basically a living embodiment of Katamari Damacy.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
I'm a property/casualty actuary, graduated with a math degree 3.5 years ago.

Over $100k salary, 5 weeks of vacation, attend seminars on company time a few times a year which are always a lot of fun, etc etc.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
My new company has one of these discretionary time off polices that are going around in tech. Will be interesting when I start taking week long vacations every other month (plan to try and take 5+ weeks) to see if they give me shit for it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Being anxious and nervous about a new job is normal, but feeling like your life is over seems like an odd feeling to have before starting a new job. Have you never worked a full-time job before?
Yes I have. What I meant was I just got married, graduating in 2 weeks, starting full time, looking at houses, thinking about kids, etc. I feel like it could potentially be all downhill from here.

Glad you have enjoyed the journey, Eyashusa.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
woah woah just skimmed a bit who around here is form saginaw? im from bay city (next town over) and both are certified shit holes

only jobs are at the hospitals and they dont pay shit and have little to no room for growth

follow the example of the last 2 generations from that area and move the fuck away or get on welfare and start selling drugs

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Graduated chemistry degree.

Biochemist and on-site operator for an oil company in West Texas.

8-5 with 24 on call days and my own office. Single and just over 6 figures. Fulk benefits and 401k. Sometimes I work my ass off.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Yes I have. What I meant was I just got married, graduating in 2 weeks, starting full time, looking at houses, thinking about kids, etc. I feel like it could potentially be all downhill from here.

Glad you have enjoyed the journey, Eyashusa.
It's not so much downhill as a long boring straightline trek to death. Well, have fun!

(you get used to it like everything else, buck up little buddy).

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
woah woah just skimmed a bit who around here is form saginaw? im from bay city (next town over) and both are certified shit holes

only jobs are at the hospitals and they dont pay shit and have little to no room for growth

follow the example of the last 2 generations from that area and move the fuck away or get on welfare and start selling drugs
yeah I'm mostly in agreement. I intend to leave soon. I'm not from Saginaw, I just work there. I actually live in bay city.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Completed my final interview today, which took a little over 3 hours. I had to meet with 12 different staff in groups of 1 to 3 over the course of the day. I feel pretty positive about it, and even if I don't get the position I definitely think I have put my best foot forward and have made a very competitive applicant. All of the group meetings were very positive and friendly.

The ultimate decision maker is headed out of town for the remainder of the year on Friday, so a decision will absolutely be made on Thursday. I've been told all of the applicants were very good, so it will be a tough decision. If I'm lucky it will end up in my favor.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I got a low six figure bonus and I only billed 2200 hours this year! SUCK IT, PEASANTS! HAHA!
biggrin.png