What do you do?

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, this thread is making me so bitter and angry.

I am a Senion Proofreader and Subtitling Translator, I work for a multinational media giant, BTI, (ex Zone Studio), I do subtitling and dubbing translations for major televion networks. I work 10-12 hours a day, and during weekends I work from home. You know how much I make a month ? 500 fucking euros. And that's gross income, net i get about 350. And don't fucking tell me that in Romania the cost of living is so much lower, a new car still costs 10.000 + Euros, a tablet that in USA is 450 USD in here is 470 Euros, etc...

In short, fuck my life. Thank you for listening.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just curious, do you have a government mandated minimum wage in your country? And if so, how does your wage compare to it?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is that 188 Euros per month?

Interesting. So you're at roughly 2.5x minimum wage in your country. Minimum wage in the US right now is $7.25 per hour. 2.5x that is ~$18 an hour, which based on a 40 hour work week is $38,000 per year. Definitely a liveable wage in most parts of the country(not the big cities on the coasts)

It sounds like the main issue with your current situation is that they work you a TON of hours for that salary. It sounds like you are working 60+ hours a week, which would be 250+ hours a month, which then breaks down to like 2 Euros per hour. That's sounds pretty shitty :/

Then again, that minimum wage sounds pretty crappy in general. 40 hours a week x 4 weeks per month = 160 hours. Minimum wage is barely more than 1 Euro per hour. If that's the case, it's time to get out of Romania
smile.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If that's the case, it's time to get out of Romania
smile.png
Easier said than done, especially if he's making that little. I've often toyed with the idea of immigrating to one of the Scandinavian countries, but there's just too many societal and family negatives to make it worth it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Not to mention most countries worth immigrating to have pretty strict restrictions on who they'll take, assuming you do it legally.

Wamphyr, I assume you do dubbing in English. Is there no way to use your strong command of English and find a better job elsewhere, perhaps in another field? In my experience living overseas, being able to use English at an extremely high level was a very sought-after skill in tons of fields. I knew several people who moonlighted as translators/interpreters on a contractual basis in order to make some extra money. Of course, given the hellish hours you work it would probably be hard to do something like that.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Anyone who travels for work have any advice to make it suck less? Now that I am married every trip makes me feel a bit depressed going to bed by myself. Leading me to drink a lot to kill that time before bed and be bummed whenever I hear I have to go somewhere.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bring a gaming laptop with you is what I do. I feel your pain though. Me and my wife don't cuddle or anything anymore, but not sleeping in the same bed is weird now.

Settling into my new job. i heard my boss was worried about me because I don't talk as much as the other guys. Kind of intimidating being a new college grad in a job with guys with 20-30 years experience. I guess I will just engage more.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone who travels for work have any advice to make it suck less? Now that I am married every trip makes me feel a bit depressed going to bed by myself. Leading me to drink a lot to kill that time before bed and be bummed whenever I hear I have to go somewhere.
You and I have very similar jobs with very similar comp. Get a job at a no-travel consulting firm would be my advice before you start to hate the work you do.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Network and form a workout habit. I spend my time living out a bag often too. I hit the hotel gym at least once a day. It's a good way to kill an hour or so and then I try to network and make friends in the different cities I travel to. No, I don't mean sluts and hookers, just business acquaintances. Then find the cool place to eat(Atlanta's Fat Matts, Phillys Tony Luke's, Mississippi's Creshels(spelling?), etc). It's always nice to go to the local places instead of just the nearby applebees or fucking fridays that they plant next to all the hotels.

The gaming laptop advice is ok too i guess, but I'm not a huge fan of sitting in my hotel room after being on site all day and gaming. I would say engage more. At some point in time you may be looking for another job or just be able to help out in a way that was unexpected on a project which can advance you in your own job. Making friends with your peers in the industry is a fantastic way to build trust and rapport. This can never hurt you.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
I usually find something to do, I do find friends to go out with when some live nearby or I do something typical of the area. I still find the nights that isn't possible make me really resentful. The problem is I am an SA so I am going out solo a lot right now, just me and the customer. Most of the customers leave at 5-6 and go home to their families.

I am looking for local consulting but the big consulting companies here aren't ready for Big Data yet, almost found one but they decided to wait 6 months before starting their practice after 5 interviews for the head position.

The other problem is I made a dumb move and left a comfortable big company for a more startupy one. The culture here seems to be work first life second which I am not a fan of. I believe strongly in the tech and put blinders on towards what a 200person company is really going to be like. They seem to think it is ok to spend 4 out of 5 weeks in California (including 2 weekends) for training in 1 big shot. Yea, not so much for a newlywed.

I was ok with travel at first, but now that I have been doing it a while and am thinking of starting a family it just depresses the fuck out of me no matter what I do.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All startups are about working 80 hours a week. If you want to work 9-5 and have a nice work/life balance then a startup is not what you should be doing. Go for a boring old school giganto-corp or work for the government.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
All startups are about working 80 hours a week. If you want to work 9-5 and have a nice work/life balance then a startup is not what you should be doing. Go for a boring old school giganto-corp or work for the government.
I wouldn't say all startups... I worked at a startup as a developer and 40hr weeks with flexible starting times were the norm. If I ever worked more than 40hrs a weeks I'd take comp time the following week to make up for it. After getting acquired, my options with an exercise price of ~$1.50 are worth $120 now too.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
I do have ~25k options but I would have to stay 5 years to vest them. The problem is as an SA it is really hard to be flexible as you are the tip of the sword. You are the technical face of the company to every customer, if the other SAs are booked you go no matter how far (I see the Sr SAs getting sent overseas a lot). I think what I need to find is an SE (Sales Engineer) role that is for a company big enough to have small (1-2 cities) regions.

In Big Data that would mean IBM, Pivotal (EMC spinoff) and that is pretty much it. I worked for a big trying to get into this tech and they were flailing and for the Big Data group it was still small enough to require being everywhere.

I wish I could just suck it up and enjoy the travel but, 2 years in and I just can't get used to it.

Vinen

God is dead
I do have ~25k options but I would have to stay 5 years to vest them. The problem is as an SA it is really hard to be flexible as you are the tip of the sword. You are the technical face of the company to every customer, if the other SAs are booked you go no matter how far (I see the Sr SAs getting sent overseas a lot). I think what I need to find is an SE (Sales Engineer) role that is for a company big enough to have small (1-2 cities) regions.

In Big Data that would mean IBM, Pivotal (EMC spinoff) and that is pretty much it. I worked for a big trying to get into this tech and they were flailing and for the Big Data group it was still small enough to require being everywhere.

I wish I could just suck it up and enjoy the travel but, 2 years in and I just can't get used to it.
Pivotal is less an EMC spinoff and more VMware and EMC's incestuous child.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
That is a good description, not a huge fan of their product line but then again I took my current job because I like the product (NoSQL database) and now am facing 60-70% travel despite them telling me to expect 20-30%.

Vinen

God is dead
That is a good description, not a huge fan of their product line but then again I took my current job because I like the product (NoSQL database) and now am facing 60-70% travel despite them telling me to expect 20-30%.
Not saying it's a bad company. Just new, untested and has a idiot who likes running a Virtualization/Compete-with-Microsoft-On-Office company. Not a fan of Maritz. Was funny watching Pat Gelsinger start selling off all the crap Maritz had bought.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm

You could also look to move up to the next role. When it comes to Big Data (or anything considered bleeding edge in tech) the competition between companies is extremely aggressive and you can make vertical moves pretty easily if you are willing to bounce around every year or so. I know we just hired a Director in our Information Management group and his specialty is Big Data. His background was SA -> Principal -> Director in the span of about 2.5 years.