What do you do?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'd rather wait tables for slightly less (or possibly more? depending on location) money than deal with a shit job like that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Waiters at real restaurants make way more than I'm making in this area.

The 'benefit' of this job is that they pay pretty much all the overtime you want once you're actually useful. There's people on my team taking home 140 hour paychecks every 2 weeks.

Apparently once you've learned all the various roles there's not a lot of time to be bored, the workload is pretty demanding especially if someone calls out on your shift. We only had 3 people in the NOC with 2 people working remotely all day yesterday. It's dead in the middle of the week though and brutal on the weekends, because 90% of the work is clearing bullshit alarms on servers because our customers don't inform us they're performing maintenance on their network and they're just bouncing their servers up and down all weekend.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
But seriously, I just worked 4pm to midnight, then had to be back in 9am for a 12 hour shift. So 9 hours total travel and recovery time between 8 and 12 hour shifts.
Marines do this frequently, and complain about it extensively.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's my weekly schedule, every single Friday into Saturday is going to be like that until I quit and take a job at Walmart.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Working 70 hour weeks isn't really a privilege unless you're dirt poor and trying to climb out of debt before the bank takes the farm, or you're in your last two years of your pension and trying to jack your annual income to lock in a higher benefit. I see that as a huge downside, personally.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its a shitty boring job but for $20/hr just be thankful you're making decent money. I worked through college on $10/hr and scraped by living with my girlfriend in a shitty apartment.

While I wasn't working those hours, I was typically studying until 3 or 4am and going to class at 8. It sucked, but I have a strong work ethic now and appreciation for the blue collar folks.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
$20 an hour isnt exactly something to be happy about. Maybe in the boondocks but not on the coasts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The problem with the job isn't so much the boredom. It's the fact that the job is just mentally taxing enough to be tiring and stressful (mostly because the toolchain and workflow are so terrible) but it's not actually productive. Almost all the 'fixing' stuff gets done by someone else. The money is pretty solid for southern RI but that's just because wages are so bad down here. Cost of living is still insanely high.

There's also the fact that they treat us like we're children in detention.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The problem with the job isn't so much the boredom. It's the fact that the job is just mentally taxing enough to be tiring and stressful (mostly because the toolchain and workflow are so terrible) but it's not actually productive. Almost all the 'fixing' stuff gets done by someone else. The money is pretty solid for southern RI but that's just because wages are so bad down here. Cost of living is still insanely high.

There's also the fact that they treat us like we're children in detention.
welcome to the real world.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Mist, sorry that your job sucks, but realistically, here are your options.

Stay and be unhappy, things will not change in your job no matter what you do. It's like Amazon, it is what it is. Since you need the money you can't quit and you won't like your job, it's not worth to stay. But the only one who can realize that is not you.

Stay and be happy, find something to like, either the paycheck or a hot male coworker(lol). Something that will make your time there worth while. Maybe is learning new things, new technologies, maybe go into developing. If you can block out your ego maybe you can put up with it.

Leave your job,for what u are describing there is no future there. Then set your goals and leave after.
What about you Vpn, logmein, teamviewer into your home and browse from there?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I have no doubt I can endure this misery for a long time. I'm just worried that my ability to endure misery is what got me stuck in my shitty situation in the first place, and that enduring further misery might not actually be healthy.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. That's the thing. You can leave a job angry, and I have before and it seems like you usually regret that. Well, I do. Sometimes.

But that bullshit -- I mean, start putting out some resumes and see what bites. It's worth a small paycut to be less miserable. Probably not a -large- pay cut... because being super poor is a misery unto itself.

Cause honestly you can endure that shit for another few years. And then you'll be in the same spot. But don't quit blind. That's the problem with just getting fucking fed up and walking out. A tiny bit of planning will go a long way.

Easier said than done -- obviously. But it's NOT impossible to do. It just sucks. But it sucks less than staying in some miserable shit.

All options are shit!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not like I have time to leave the house or do anything enjoyable, so I don't have any lifestyle expenses. I can pay all my own bills off fixing PCs and selling magic cards. My fellowship stipend pays the mortgage. I took the job to pay my mom's remaining bills, because I won't leave her without her being financially stable. So I can walk out at any time, I don't personally need the money.

Oh well, pretty soon I'll be grading papers during the slow nights. If I can ride this out for the semester I think I'll have somehow fixed all my problems. That is, unless the university finds out I have this job and yanks my fellowship.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Scheduled for 2 interviews with the state. 3 weeks vacation, 14 holidays, and 18 sick days.... i think if i can get that without taking more than a 10k pay cut I'll ride the easy train for a while while i get some rental properties gathered up.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm on the opposite end right now. My state job has me bored as hell. The vacation, pension etc. are all great benefits, but I'm in a place where I'd rather take the additional responsibility and work in exchange for a higher salary.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I can understand that. I'm hoping I'll be able to moonlight and check out early so I can get a business of my own going.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
You likely will if it's a state funded position. My issue is that grant money is so erratic, and requires a lot of effort to keep a pipeline going. The university doesn't actually pay a single cent of my salary; I bring all that in myself. In fact, for every dollar I bring to the school, they take a dollar towards "overhead" that I see little or no benefit from. I'm just over it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had my interview, fairly shitty. I felt like they were looking for someone more experienced despite my resume clearly laying everything out. Not feeling too confident, although one guy kept saying "awesome" to my answers and me and another guy shot the shit about guitar for awhile.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Had my interview, fairly shitty. I felt like they were looking for someone more experienced despite my resume clearly laying everything out. Not feeling too confident, although one guy kept saying "awesome" to my answers and me and another guy shot the shit about guitar for awhile.
It's a state job right? None of those people get any kind of interview training unless they're from HR. Even then, it's pretty nonexistent. I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you feel like you left them with a positive impression and your resume fits the job criteria, you're probably fine.