What do you do?

I wish I had that environment borzak. Then again maybe not because I would find it hard to get my work done even with lenient scheduling. The best I can do is walk the are with my dog, or go eat at a park.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Working at home really boils down to how much discipline you have. It also helps to have a separate work area. Personally, after working from home for over a year, I grew to greatly dislike it. Not because of a lack of discipline, but because I really, really, REALLY like to keep my work and home lives separate. When I leave work, I want to forget about it 100% until I go back to work. It's really hard to do this when you work from home because all of your work stuff is right there.

I have a separate room for work. When I am done for the day I close the door and don't go back in again for the most part unless I have an emergency to handle or something. My last and current jobs are both primarily from home so I've been doing it for about four years now. I actually enjoy it more now because seeing how on site work operates I know I would go crazy in a week.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm about to have my own private home office and it's gonna be so effin sweet.

Need to figure out how to do the taxes though.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So LinkedIn premium is actually worth it? I had a feeling it would be. Will be looking into upgrading this weekend. My search for a Cisco networking job has extended to pretty much anywhere in Oregon or Washington.

Who knew Amazon had a data center in bumpkin Umatilla OR or Facebook had one in Prineville OR? Lol

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I felt like I got my trial + a months worth out of Linkedin Premium when I was searching earlier this year.

...then a Robert Half guy found me and was able to turn a contract position I disregarded into a regular position and match my pay at my previous job in about 6 days time.

All made possible via connections though, think he found me via Linkedin through a user group I'd been going to for the tools I support (JIRA / Confluence / Drupal).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's a class action settlement against linked in for sending out extra emails after you tried to connect with someone. It's like $1500 a person if you used the feature. Anyone get in on it?

I think I used it but no details yet.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never let them have access to my address book to "find" connections. So I can't get in on it but at least I didn't annoy my contacts. Lol

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I own my own business now, work from home always. Wife is awesome, and never nags. Controls the kids. When daddy's working daddy's working. Stay the F away. I do like to spend time with the boogers, but when work gets done it gets done because I don't have those distractions.

I will say, if you run your own business, you absolutely MUST use a home office where you can close all doors and be left alone. It's impossible to deal with that shit if I say worked on the couch.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So you might know that I created a thread that I am working on a startup. There has been some setbacks from a concept standpoint.

I had a conference with the software team I am working with on my concept. They recently got a grant from the Canadian (eh) government to branch out into hardware. They want me to come on as that product manager and leading them in their design of it. I will be starting with remote work after we work out an equity partnership and figure out all of that aspect. I will help design for the first 4 months and based on that progress we will get follow on grant money to continue the project but I don't think we will have any issues with getting something usable in the first 4 months to then use the follow on money for revision 2.

I am pretty excited about it. It's not my goal to make a ton of money on this, I want to be able to create something and it's a product I would buy. I think once we get it all fleshed out and tested we will be able to sell out though for a decent amount and then maybe I can work on some other things I have running around in my brain.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is it in poor taste to ask the recruiter for updates?

Basically 4 or 5 weeks ago I interviewed at the place. They said they needed like 2 weeks to make a decision. After 3 weeks I emailed them asking for an update and they said they needed another 2 weeks to make a decision - something about budget and creating the position and stuff. Last week they emailed me asking for a reference, which they did reach out to, and the person gave me basically the best reference I could ask for.

Now it's radio silence again, the deadline was last Wednesday and here I sit on Monday with no clue what's going on.

My feeling is that I didn't interview well enough, but they didn't find any other qualified people for the position so they're struggling with extending me an offer. I'm ok with them not wanting me, I just need to know.

So is it poor taste to ask again what's going on?

My company got bought out this morning so now I am getting a little panicked and need to hit the pavement pretty hard.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd be nervous to work for a company that bungles something as simple as hiring someone. Imagine the amount of shit they bungle that isn't HR boilerplate.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You'd be eliminating a lot of companies if that was your criteria. I'm not saying you're wrong to want companies to move faster when hiring, or have the damn positions budgeted, but this is quite standard. It should be something considered when deciding to take the offer, but perhaps not a dealbreaker.

Tenks

I suppose that is true. I still work at the same place when I graduated college and I applied for the job about 9mo-1yr before actually taking it. It took them like 5 months to get me in to interview and I called the HR lady at least 3 times a month asking for updates.

Tenks

I just need to know if it's shitty of me to ask for updates? I'm guessing based on your experience it's ok.
I think showing continued interest in the job and not sounding desperate (like calling twice a week or something) is a good thing