What do you do?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I just need to know if it's shitty of me to ask for updates? I'm guessing based on your experience it's ok.
I'd say asking after each deadline is fine (as others mentioned, even good, since it shows interest in the job). Unless headhunted, I would go the route of

- See notice about job
- Read up on organization (preferably about the location the job is)
- Call listed people, ask about the job, how many applicants so far, etc
- Apply for job with mention of your call. This will immediately make you "oh yeah, that person" Instead of "random applicant #142"
- Call a week later to make sure they got the application and all attachments. They will then look through applications, again, taking notice to yours. This way, you are already not in the bottom of the pile so to speak. When they get to it, you will already have registered with them, so when it becomes time to weed down applications for interviews, you will almost always be picked over the people who have just filed an application without taking any contact/interest above that. It's crazy how many people do not take contact with the place they are applying for a job at any point during the application process.

Then there is the point you are at. Calling again, which should be fine to do after each deadline has passed.

Be careful with mentioning instability / uncertainty of your current job though, as might impact negatively on your negotiations of a paycheck if you are offered the job.

That said, stuff happened quickly for me now. Sent an e-mail on Friday to the leaders of an organization if I could send them an open application (met them before). 1 hour later, got an e-mail back asking me to come to an interview today (didn't have to send any application or references). Met at interview, before I got my coat off, head of organization said "Yeah, we want you. You got the job, now excuse me, I need to go take a smoke". Higher pay than my current job too. Yay for the efficiency of private organizations!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Unfortunately my company made nationwide headlines for the sale, maybe even international. They know what I'm up against

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Another interview with state today, bridge department. The standardized HR questions are running me into the ground.

"How would you define customer satisfaction" "I think the name says it all"

FIN.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good for EMC, they were headed downhill fast without a bigger picture offering. As part of Dell they will have that.
Great for the company

Not great for employees

Other company emailed me back saying they'd give me a solid response today, but he needs 3 more days to make a decision. Apparently I'm in the running with some other dude, they went full disclosure.

I'm kind of done with it at this point..

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sorry to be pessimistic, but I'd read that as "We gave the other guy until 3 days from now to accept our offer". I've never been in this situation, this type of disclosure is rare. I'd be tempted to tell them I have other offers and need to hear back sooner.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No, I interviewed terribly and figured I'd get a refusal. They're just stringing me along at this point and wish they'd just tell me so I can move on.

It's just a very tiring experience.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
No, I interviewed terribly and figured I'd get a refusal. They're just stringing me along at this point and wish they'd just tell me so I can move on.

It's just a very tiring experience.
I don't think companies really have any interest in stringing anyone along on purpose. They are still considering you or they'd tell you so.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I should've said "it feels like they're stringing me on." I think Deathwing is right. If I had blown them away I would've received an offer right away. I'm ok with that though

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Or, they're still interviewing candidates and should tell you as much. I have no problem with a company telling me they have X more candidates to interview over Y weeks. If we liked you, you'll hear back from us shortly after that. Telling you that "you're in the running" with someone else does nothing but lower your confidence even if you do get an offer.

Imagine if dating went this way? Oh, we really liked you, but we're waiting to see if someone with bigger tits and a real craving for anal shows up soon. Actually, nvm, that is what they are saying.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For the right pay anal is not out of the question.

At first it was "we have all of these people to still interview." Slowly it's turned into this long drawn-out process where I am finding out it is between me and another guy.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Or, they're still interviewing candidates and should tell you as much. I have no problem with a company telling me they have X more candidates to interview over Y weeks. If we liked you, you'll hear back from us shortly after that. Telling you that "you're in the running" with someone else does nothing but lower your confidence even if you do get an offer.

Imagine if dating went this way? Oh, we really liked you, but we're waiting to see if someone with bigger tits and a real craving for anal shows up soon. Actually, nvm, that is what they are saying.
Except its business, not personal. Comparing it to dating has some superficial similarities but not really. You don't give a fuck why they want you for the job or if you were their 475th choice after everyone else said no; if the job works for you and will give you a qualification or resume item you need (or a raise and you can parlay that into more $ later) then go for it. In a year or 18 months start looking again and maximize your takings.

You're taking this way too personal and it is not personal.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Dating does go that way. Some of you guys have been married too long and you've forgotten

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Except its business, not personal. Comparing it to dating has some superficial similarities but not really. You don't give a fuck why they want you for the job or if you were their 475th choice after everyone else said no; if the job works for you and will give you a qualification or resume item you need (or a raise and you can parlay that into more $ later) then go for it. In a year or 18 months start looking again and maximize your takings.

You're taking this way too personal and it is not personal.
Taking the job has opportunity costs, you should definitely care if you were first choice or 475th choice. If you have the flexibility to keep looking, why take a job that was lukewarm in their response? I mean, I guess the opportunity cost is low if you plan on job hopping frequently.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Taking the job has opportunity costs, you should definitely care if you were first choice or 475th choice. If you have the flexibility to keep looking, why take a job that was lukewarm in their response? I mean, I guess the opportunity cost is low if you plan on job hopping frequently.
Imagine if Tom Brady thought this way.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We've been over that topic probably multiple times in this thread already, so I don't see a need to rehash. But, while I realize the net benefits of job hopping, I still find the practice highly distasteful and so I abstain from it because don't *need* the money, yet.

Also, I'm lazy and looking for jobs that often is tiring.

The NFL draft is a horrible counter example. The amount of information that's publicly available to a football-job-seeking candidate is staggering compared to a normal job seeker.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not looking forward to job hopping constantly, however I am looking to maximize my income in a fashion that is smart.

My company won't give me a raise so I'm moving on. If the next job does the same thing I'm moving on again.

As personally fulfilling as my current job makes me feel, my fulfillment isn't going to pay my bills.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Your first million in investments will make your job satisfaction not as important to you.