What do you do?

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
It's going to take longer than a few years. Even though meaningful use is pushing hospitals and doctors to get their ass in gear when it comes to EHR what they are doing, just to comply, is basically unusable in any meaningful way (hah!).

For the last 2 years I was building the EHR system for the Connecticut's Medicaid program and the shit they had me doing/wanted me to do was utterly pointless and had me still using 20 year old technology to do it.

FHIR is going to be big if HL7 can actually get people to adopt it and it's a slam dunk to get into healthcare and start learning this stuff. But I completely agree, so much money to be made in the coming years.
Medical device companies like medtronic and st jude are dinos when it comes to IT. Only one doing interesting stuff is GE that ive seen. The hospital systems are even more ancient. The only insurance provider doing interesting work that ive seen is UnitedHealthcare, others like humana centene express scripts and such are in the dark ages.

IBM is a shitshow that is barely a step above Wipro and TCS these days.

+

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's going to take longer than a few years. Even though meaningful use is pushing hospitals and doctors to get their ass in gear when it comes to EHR what they are doing, just to comply, is basically unusable in any meaningful way (hah!).

For the last 2 years I was building the EHR system for the Connecticut's Medicaid program and the shit they had me doing/wanted me to do was utterly pointless and had me still using 20 year old technology to do it.

FHIR is going to be big if HL7 can actually get people to adopt it and it's a slam dunk to get into healthcare and start learning this stuff. But I completely agree, so much money to be made in the coming years.
My wife is the head of the meaningful use division in a software developer. She explained to me how the payouts are going to happen over the next 5 years. It was the most retarded thing i ever heard. It starts at like 10% of the medicaid payout is actually tied to the costs of the equipment you use. The rest is essentially tied with how well you do your goddamn paperwork.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So my responsibilities won't be changing, but the staffing agency will be. Company I'm contracted to finally worked out and signed a new contract to provide IT services to another company, and with that, want to consolidate the staffing agencies they use from 3-4 down to 1. We'll see what happens, but my hope is to negotiate a higher rate.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Like I said I'm a douche. I know in Canada when you become an engineer you get a ring or some shit. Here you get your PE but since it's only really useful to a handful of engineering disciplines most in my field don't get it.

I've considered it but there's no value gained for me.
So you aren't an engineer.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Medical device companies like medtronic and st jude are dinos when it comes to IT. Only one doing interesting stuff is GE that ive seen. The hospital systems are even more ancient. The only insurance provider doing interesting work that ive seen is UnitedHealthcare, others like humana centene express scripts and such are in the dark ages.
This is the truth across the industry for sure. And UHG doing anything different is an extremely recent development.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So it's coming down to go-time. Current contract ends on Aug 15th, already signed on with the new company, benefits suck but the pay is a bit better than I was originally making. Now my current company comes to me and is like "hey we have another spot for you" at DIA, same pay, better benefits, definitely better career-wise. I don't know why I'm even sweating the choice, seems like a no brainer. But I worry so much about burning bridges, about what happens if I pull out and this DIA thing doesn't work out or something and then I'm fucked. Realistically I know I won't be fucked either way, I'll be fine. The uncertainty just makes me want to choke.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think the other company would understand. They probably wouldn't be thrilled they invested so many HR and resource hours into interviewing you and having you sign on the dotted line but realistically you're only one step further along than another candidate.

Vinen

God is dead
So it's coming down to go-time. Current contract ends on Aug 15th, already signed on with the new company, benefits suck but the pay is a bit better than I was originally making. Now my current company comes to me and is like "hey we have another spot for you" at DIA, same pay, better benefits, definitely better career-wise. I don't know why I'm even sweating the choice, seems like a no brainer. But I worry so much about burning bridges, about what happens if I pull out and this DIA thing doesn't work out or something and then I'm fucked. Realistically I know I won't be fucked either way, I'll be fine. The uncertainty just makes me want to choke.
Career Path at a Defense Contractor?

FUCK YEAH YEARS OF SERVICE BULLSHIT.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is work related.

So I built a case for a client today. His name: Thai Tran.

When my agent told me the name on the phone today I had to mute it immediately because I started laughing so hard my hernia hurt. Half my staff popped their heads into my office to see WTF was wrong with me.

This board has corrupted me in so many amusing ways.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Career Path at a Defense Contractor?

FUCK YEAH YEARS OF SERVICE BULLSHIT.
Yeah, I'm beginning to realize that "career growth" generally means "change companies". My goal is still to gtfo out this and go private sector someday.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I am. I just mean away from the whole scene. Contractors are shitty, the govt is completely inept, Vinen is right about career progression. I know guys who are in their 60s doing bullshit sysadmin stuff, bitching and complaining about the man. And they're not wrong, the companies don't invest in you, they don't give a fuck, you fill a seat and stay billable for them.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I am. I just mean away from the whole scene. Contractors are shitty, the govt is completely inept, Vinen is right about career progression. I know guys who are in their 60s doing bullshit sysadmin stuff, bitching and complaining about the man.
Yeah true that, I am 16 years into government service so I have at least 4 years before I jump ship.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
DIA as in Denver International Airport?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Idk, it's like anywhere, it has badass parts and useless parts. Depends on the people and the mission. The mission is cool at the part I would be heading to, so if the people are cool it will be good. At least I hope.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Job I'm in now is my first contract job, and I'm beginning to see the down sides. Lately it's been a little tumultuous because parent company is consolidating staffing agencies from 3 to 1 new one. I'm sure they just under-bid everyone, but watching the old ones fight to keep us under them is crazy. Tons of emails, and even some threats about the non-compete, even though we've been told a few times that way higher up, it's already been decided they won't enforce the non-competes.

Waiting to hear how the new staffing agency we're all being thrown under is gonna screw us sucks, but I made it 6 months before all this happened, so it won't look too terrible on the resume if I have to get work somewhere else.