What do you do?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They're waiting on their first choice to get back to them.

WTF does the recruiter have to do if they want to offer you a job besides just forwarding it?

We had a phone call scheduled, but he gave me a similar update anyway. Without getting into details, the info he provided suggests that it's more a matter of management needing to get together for a final decision. I'm pretty confident I'm the lead candidate (a senior manager called me from his vacation last week). My bigger worry is that management might have decided to retool the job description.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Oh trust me, I'm as suspicious as you. It just doesn't do me any good to despair, I'll get the same answer no matter what. I do feel like having someone call me from their vacation is a pretty positive sign. It wasn't presented as another interview round (in fact it was scheduled at night for the following afternoon), but there was some obvious sizing up going on.

I'm just ready for it to be done. From first contact to now has been about 6 weeks, and none of it was really dead air. I've been getting regular updates that have actually led to further action. They warned me it could be a longer than average process, but I'm tired of the anxiety.

kudos

<Banned>
The waiting game after interviewing sucks. So hard to stay focused on my day to day work.
Try waiting 2 years. I'm just now finally coming to the end. I should hopefully be starting my new career path in 3-5 months if everything goes well. Fucking wait has been more ups and downs than any human should have to go through. Luckily, it's going to be a huge positive on the resume for my field so it's worth it even if the pay is god awful. I'll probably be eating ramen for 3 years and not have any money to take a woman out on a date (or fuck). Playing the long game, boys.

The only thing I can see stopping my plan is if the new company that just bought mine out decides to counter (and the rumors of their plans are true). If they boost me $20k and give me different work assignments then I may have to rethink.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Powah don't accept Jack shit until that is in writing. Keep looking imo

Oh, I haven't accepted a damn thing yet. I want numbers on a piece of paper; That much I'm smart enough to insist on.

As far as continuing to look? Yeah, I mean I am. I'm being selective though. Someone here said I have the luxury of picking and choosing...I'm taking that advice and running with it, sending my resume to the jobs I WANT to work.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Fucking hilarious excuse.

"I AM SICK...SO I CAN'T MAKE MY DECISION TODAY."
What....

Recruiters don't do hiring. They don't have anything to do with the decision making process, they just interface with potential hires. It's plausible that he just wasn't in today when management met, and he'll have details tomorrow. That doesn't mean he's not lying to me, but there's no real motivation for him to do so. It's not a reason to get all Vizzini vs. Wesley with the iocane about it.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Have you try pressuring them into making a decision?

You have no power in terms of negotiating here. You have to take all their excuses at face value since you haven't given them a timeline.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Oh, I haven't accepted a damn thing yet. I want numbers on a piece of paper; That much I'm smart enough to insist on.

As far as continuing to look? Yeah, I mean I am. I'm being selective though. Someone here said I have the luxury of picking and choosing...I'm taking that advice and running with it, sending my resume to the jobs I WANT to work.

I've always went by the mantra the best time to look for a job is while you have a job. You get to be selective and don't have to jump at any and every opening.

I say accept the newest raise and keep looking.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
More like big rent. :p

I gave them my current details today, and a ballpark figure. We'll see what they come back with.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Congratulations indeed, hope all the closing negotiations conlclude to your satisfaction. It must be quite the relief after such a lengthy and intensive process.

Best of luck staying firm and reasonable in your demands in the closing stages!

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Well, I drank a bit too much last night with my boss in celebration.

I am no longer Mr. Lowball'd...Holy fuck. 40%, roughly (I'm guessing they grabbed a round number, instead of a %) increase in pay and the promo is sweet.

I'll still be an escalation point/backup for support (they hired a new guy, apparently an integral part of this plan), but I'll be doing mostly project management/implementation. I impressed them with a couple of projects I rocked out like a boss in the past couple of months and now they want me running all projects for the department I'm in.

But goddamn, from 40k to 55k overnight, with a much better title than "support dude 1" to put on the resume, and being able to focus on my favorite part of this job as my primary responsibility; Yeah, I'm excited.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users