What vehicle do you drive?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I know. :)

I'm surprised how good they have gotten. I had an older one (2006) which was as solid as an anvil but spartan on the inside. I only bought it because it was like new. $14k and low miles and still smelled new inside.

What's your budget? I'll second that the CRV was a great car when I had one years ago.

I'm bracing for the downvotes, but now that I've gone electric, I'm never going back. The linear, instant acceleration is like a cheat code in a driving game. No real maintenance (I hate oil changes), and you're mostly insulated from silly gas gouging. If you don't care about blowing the budget up, I heard great things about the Rivian SUV and truck, even the Ford one is well built and can act like a generator if you own a home.

Fucker

Log Wizard
What's your budget? I'll second that the CRV was a great car when I had one years ago.

I'm bracing for the downvotes, but now that I've gone electric, I'm never going back. The linear, instant acceleration is like a cheat code in a driving game. No real maintenance (I hate oil changes), and you're mostly insulated from silly gas gouging. If you don't care about blowing the budget up, I heard great things about the Rivian SUV and truck, even the Ford one is well built and can act like a generator if you own a home.
Not for me. Simply discussing them.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the inputs guys keep em coming. Ive never liked the look of a wagon will be a hard sell for me. But really the only thing i know for certain that i don't want is a convertible/sports car/coupe cus im at that mid life crisis age and i don't wanna be that guy.

Budget is not a primarily concern, just want value for my money of course. If you can sell me on a 20k vehicle that has what i want great. If its 30 or 40 that's fine. Ideally looking at spending no more than 40k, but thats not a hard limit. I have the money but I'm not goingto spend 100k on a vehicle.

Ive never been able to fit rifle hard cases in car trunks without having to fold down one or both back seats. Then again my experience is with ricer sports cars, like From the 90s on im talking eclipses, celicas, integra type r's, things like that.
When it comes to size main thing is convenience, i dont wanna have to tetris my shit to fit. When i go to the range I'm usually with a friend or 2 plus their guns and we end up riding in someone elses vehicle cus it wont fit in a car. My scuba gear (minus tanks) i keep in one of these Cases which fits in the trunk of larger cars but its a pita. I dont think a smaller car like a civic is going to work.

I guess for suv im balancing size/utility/convenience vs mpg. Or for luxury im balancing amenities/comfort/feel vs $$

I never considered combining the two ie luxury SUVs before but ill look in to them, not sure if i will match my price range.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Budget is not a primarily concern, just want value for my money of course. If you can sell me on a 20k vehicle that has what i want great. If its 30 or 40 that's fine. Ideally looking at spending no more than 40k, but thats not a hard limit. I have the money but I'm not goingto spend 100k on a vehicle.
lulz new car 20k? welcome back to america, haha

sounds like you want a crossover

Fucker

Log Wizard
Thanks for the inputs guys keep em coming. Ive never liked the look of a wagon will be a hard sell for me. But really the only thing i know for certain that i don't want is a convertible/sports car/coupe cus im at that mid life crisis age and i don't wanna be that guy.

Ive never been able to fit rifle hard cases in car trunks without having to fold down one or both back seats. Then again my experience is with ricer sports cars, like From the 90s on im talking eclipses, celicas, integra type r's, things like that.
When it comes to size main thing is convenience, i dont wanna have to tetris my shit to fit. When i go to the range I'm usually with a friend or 2 plus their guns and we end up riding in someone elses vehicle cus it wont fit in a car. My scuba gear (minus tanks) i keep in one of these Cases which fits in the trunk of larger cars but its a pita. I dont think a smaller car like a civic is going to work.

I guess for suv im balancing size/utility/convenience vs mpg. Or for luxury im balancing amenities/comfort/feel vs $$

I never considered combining the two ie luxury SUVs before but ill look in to them, not sure if i will match my price range.
CRV and RAV4 have 75 cu/ft of room in the back with the seats down. They will hold a lot of gear. Easy to get to because the openings are fairly large. Might be able to swing something like a Toyota Highlander if you can find a base model AWD. 100 cu/ft with seats down. Honda Pilot is a miss because of that shit transmission they put in it.

Toyota and Honda have high resale values. GF's CRV is worth what she paid for it, while Ford or Chevy of same class worth half of sticker.

Highlander is a new design as of last year. I'd buy a Highlander if GF didn't have CRV.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
lulz new car 20k? welcome back to america, haha

sounds like you want a crossover
Nah i said used 2015-2020 range but looking at used cars online theyve jumped considerably. Ive never been a fan of buying new but looking at sticker pricesit may be worth it nowadays.

Im looking at rav4, crv, and acura rdx right now.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nah i said used 2015-2020 range but looking at used cars online theyve jumped considerably. Ive never been a fan of buying new but looking at sticker pricesit may be worth it nowadays.

Avoid Honda/Acura with 9 speed transmission. They are bad news.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Used market is terrible now. Some models 2 year old used w 20k miles are selling for more than brand new msrp. I was able to get my new car under msrp a bit, but from what I’ve read I’m an outlier. That may be because I went with a practical boring car and I ordered it four months ago, so prices may have gone up since, idk.

I’d go with rav4 or crv out of those choices. The RDX is overpriced imo. They start at $44. Friends wife had one that was in the $50s and she didn’t really like it, traded it in for an older pilot and loves it lol. I rode it in and didn’t see the price justification honestly, paying for the badge.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Been trying to be smart with vehicles... I'm giving my GF my vehicle, so I want to get a truck..

I've always had F-150s on and off and love them. I found a 2018 Platinum with about 50,000 miles for (around) $48,000. I don't want to go any older than 2018. Would you have any reservations about buying an 18 with 50k miles?

Also was looking at a Ram 1500. They (supposedly) have a couple of used / new ones on their lot with the features I want (CarPlay, leather, Adaptive cruise control). Interiors look great online with the huge infotainment screen.

What do you think, Ram vs f150?
You might hate the fuel management stuff on both of those brands. Ram cuts of half the cylinders very quickly and you can feel it. Ford kills the engine when you're stopped and restarts it when you let off the brake, and you can feel that too. Both up shift to a higher gear quickly and you never feel like the truck has any balls. Powerful engines that are neutered by fuel management systems. If you're spending $50k+ on a truck, the difference between 20mpg and 15mpg isn't going to make or break you.

Tundras from 2021 on back don't do any of those things, which I like. The gas Chevy 2500's (including brand new ones) have no fuel management stuff either and only 6 speed transmissions. After driving around with 8-10 speeds I'd rather just have the 6. I've owned every brand from Nissan to Ford, and currently own a nice Ram 1500. But I don't like the cylinder shut off so it's getting traded in on a Chevy 2500 gasser. I would consider the Ram 2500 but even those have the cylinder shut off and now 8 speed transmissions.

My personal thought on your original question is if you're wanting to be smart with vehicles I wouldn't buy a used or new Platinum edition anything, especially a truck. $48k for a 4 yr old truck because it says Platinum and will massage your butt cheeks isn't a good idea when you can get a brand new well equipped full size for the same price with a warranty. Just my opinion though.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider

You might want to check the Kia Seltos as well. $25k new, reliable, and very good warranty.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You might hate the fuel management stuff on both of those brands. Ram cuts of half the cylinders very quickly and you can feel it. Ford kills the engine when you're stopped and restarts it when you let off the brake, and you can feel that too. Both up shift to a higher gear quickly and you never feel like the truck has any balls. Powerful engines that are neutered by fuel management systems. If you're spending $50k+ on a truck, the difference between 20mpg and 15mpg isn't going to make or break you.

Tundras from 2021 on back don't do any of those things, which I like. The gas Chevy 2500's (including brand new ones) have no fuel management stuff either and only 6 speed transmissions. After driving around with 8-10 speeds I'd rather just have the 6. I've owned every brand from Nissan to Ford, and currently own a nice Ram 1500. But I don't like the cylinder shut off so it's getting traded in on a Chevy 2500 gasser. I would consider the Ram 2500 but even those have the cylinder shut off and now 8 speed transmissions.

My personal thought on your original question is if you're wanting to be smart with vehicles I wouldn't buy a used or new Platinum edition anything, especially a truck. $48k for a 4 yr old truck because it says Platinum and will massage your butt cheeks isn't a good idea when you can get a brand new well equipped full size for the same price with a warranty. Just my opinion though.

I ended up going with a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited w 25k miles. Absolutely beautiful interior. Nicest truck I’ve ever been in. Much nicer interior than the Fords.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I have a 2018. They're nice and the engine seems really good. I posted earlier in this thread how to shut off the Rams cylinder deactivation which makes the truck feel smoother and more powerful.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I ended up going with a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited w 25k miles. Absolutely beautiful interior. Nicest truck I’ve ever been in. Much nicer interior than the Fords.

RAM 1500 > Ford F-150.

I drove a 2016 F-150 FX4 before my 2019 1500 and the RAM is leaps and bounds better. Now I'm driving a 2021 RAM Limited and I agree, it's almost too nice.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Although, if I could do it again I'd have waited for a 2022 1500. I drove a 2022 RAM 2500 for a couple of months and you don't even have to plug your phone in. CarPlay pops up as soon as you get into the truck. It uses WiFi/Bluetooth. The touch-screen interface is also upgraded and nicer.

It seems like a small feature, but it is the most convenient leap in tech I've experienced lately.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

If you are looking at new, due to market conditions, you may want to test drive the Lexus UX/NX/RX as well. They all have a hybrid option, AWD option, and may be more comfortable than the Rav4 or CRV. Prices are higher (start at $36k), but they should have less road noise, along with other various bells and whistles.

The Lexus small SUV is popular luxury upgrade to the Rav4, so there are a bunch of them floating around out there, but the used market for say, a 2018 RX350 is probably just as jacked up as the rest.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

Ram 1500 / 2500 are like the top 2 vehicles of all time for DUI counts. Don't let us down!

Get yourself one of these, starting at 75k with the built in kitchen lol

Riv.png

Fucker

Log Wizard
Grabbed the Tundra. Two owner vehicle, full service history from new. Previous owner was Old Guy who took care of it. New brakes and pretty good tires two years and 20k miles ago. Fresh oil every 5k miles. Clean unsmelly interior. No rust. Rides tight and no rattles. Shop I bought it from didn't blast the engine compartment clean, so I could see leaks...none other than the usual. No accidents. 125k miles for $24k....a pretty square deal these days.

Has two small dents that can be fixed via paintless fix...will be cheap to do. Will add running boards and call it a day.