What vehicle do you drive?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looks like this may be the "final" production version of Cybertruck. Added side mirrors and a windshield wiper.

It’s so ugly. Only upside is unless this shit is made out of aluminum it should be easy to get dents out of all those FLAT surfaces

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It’s so ugly. Only upside is unless this shit is made out of aluminum it should be easy to get dents out of all those FLAT surfaces
Stainless steel body and they say it has some type of magical coating that will allow it to buff out scratches easily.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Stainless steel body and they say it has some type of magical coating that will allow it to buff out scratches easily.
Honestly my biggest concern is how easily can it be repaired? It’s already a bit of a bitch for body shops to work with all this aluminum stuff now. Can you even repair the stainless or are you ordering all new body panels.

Gotta think of the long term..

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
E.E. knows everything. TL;DW = "Theoretically" possible to hit the claims, but unlikely. Also, there is zero infrastructure for EV semi trucks. How many years (decades) for that to be built to support the volume? Couple that with SuperCharging stations for an EV semi likely costing more than the average kw/h price for a home (around $0.08 per kw/h) and the math stops working (most supercharging stations for EV cars cost a whole lot more than 8 cents to charge).

Sure, YMMW.

As far as infrastructure, if anyone is going to crank out changing stations for their vehicles it's Tesla. Also, I imagine for a while most charging will be done on prem at either end of whatever the routes these trucks are running. I'm too lazy busy to actually run any numbers, but as of last week avg diesel in CA is 5.484/gal

I haven't seen any word of additional deliveries beyond the initial batch for Pepsi/Lays/whatever in 'Central' CA.

Fucker

Log Wizard
A man of fine taste. Glad to see others like myself around here
You drive your mother's Taurus. Keep your LARPing to other threads.

1998-ford-taurus-se-4dr-sedan.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure, YMMW.

As far as infrastructure, if anyone is going to crank out changing stations for their vehicles it's Tesla. Also, I imagine for a while most charging will be done on prem at either end of whatever the routes these trucks are running. I'm too lazy busy to actually run any numbers, but as of last week avg diesel in CA is 5.484/gal

I haven't seen any word of additional deliveries beyond the initial batch for Pepsi/Lays/whatever in 'Central' CA.

That seems to be the case; end to end for charging. Ultimately, it might play out that EV is used for 300 mile or less journeys and diesel is used for the long-haul stuff. There's a healthy mix of both kinds of trucking going on.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That seems to be the case; end to end for charging. Ultimately, it might play out that EV is used for 300 mile or less journeys and diesel is used for the long-haul stuff. There's a healthy mix of both kinds of trucking going on.
Yeah, ditto if the max payload is a bit lower. Might not be ideal for every situation, but it will work for a lot of things.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Honestly my biggest concern is how easily can it be repaired? It’s already a bit of a bitch for body shops to work with all this aluminum stuff now. Can you even repair the stainless or are you ordering all new body panels.

Gotta think of the long term..
No idea. I'm guessing someone who owned a Delorean might have dealt with it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
No idea. I'm guessing someone who owned a Delorean might have dealt with it.
Interesting, good point. Maybe it’s boomer of me but these are things I think of.. I don’t like inconvenience… Shit happens, unavoidable. Amazing how complicated body work has become with all these new fancy sensors that only dealerships can recalibrate and aluminum body panels.

Guess we’ll find out over the year!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
E.E. knows everything. TL;DW = "Theoretically" possible to hit the claims, but unlikely. Also, there is zero infrastructure for EV semi trucks. How many years (decades) for that to be built to support the volume? Couple that with SuperCharging stations for an EV semi likely costing more than the average kw/h price for a home (around $0.08 per kw/h) and the math stops working (most supercharging stations for EV cars cost a whole lot more than 8 cents to charge).

Couple of things. Those numbers were hit prior to Pepsi accepting delivery and the DOT certifying. There is a video (time lapse) of the entire road test with a full load that they did online.

Second, for now until infrastructure is built, this isn't for OTR, which is why Pepsi purchased. It will be for short haul. Btw, the 500 mile version only cost $180k (compared to $240k for a Kenworth W900) and this comes with $40k tax credit. So $140k for a 500 mile semi. That's why they have a wait list of companies who have fully prepaid for them.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anyone buying an EV truck for towing over diesel is just dumb. Don’t get me wrong your EV truck can be cool but accept its limitations. Sure it can be a torque monster but if it’s not on a HD frame/suspension and can’t go a decent number of miles without recharge then it’s not a true HD towing vehicle to me.

More of Kenny Powers tow your jet skies to your local lake kinda vehicle.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couple of things. Those numbers were hit prior to Pepsi accepting delivery and the DOT certifying. There is a video (time lapse) of the entire road test with a full load that they did online.

Second, for now until infrastructure is built, this isn't for OTR, which is why Pepsi purchased. It will be for short haul. Btw, the 500 mile version only cost $180k (compared to $240k for a Kenworth W900) and this comes with $40k tax credit. So $140k for a 500 mile semi. That's why they have a wait list of companies who have fully prepaid for them.

Yup, some changes/updates since his first video and the math in that. He actually did a second one talking about that demo trip, Pepsi, and a few other things. The $19.5 million plus $40k per truck Gov't subsidy doesn't hurt to offset the costs ($180k is not the actual out-the-door cost, but we'll see that soon I"m sure).

It some circumstances they make sense, in some they don't. Like all things.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My partner and I were interested (it would be perfect for the PA/NJ/NY circle) but the wait list is beyond insane.

And that's the thing, this beast is ideal for the NYC region. It doesn't burn range will sitting in shitty NY/NJ traffic. Probably also work great in places like LA.

For sure. Inner city and shorter routes it makes a ton more sense. 300/400+ miles, maybe not. We'll see.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For sure. Inner city and shorter routes it makes a ton more sense. 300/400+ miles, maybe not. We'll see.
I was reading about the new "mega chargers" for these beasts Elon has been installing for the Semis. Current supercharger network is 250kw. The mega chargers are just that, 1mw. Supposedly will do 300 miles of range in 30-ish minutes of charge time.

• 1Weird Boner

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I was reading about the new "mega chargers" for these beasts Elon has been installing for the Semis. Current supercharger network is 250kw. The mega chargers are just that, 1mw. Supposedly will do 300 miles of range in 30-ish minutes of charge time.
If you can get 500 miles + 300 miles every day that's pretty much going to cover the 11 hours per day max that long haul truckers are allowed to drive. Of course that depends on being able to hit an uber charger at about the right time of day.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There’s a ton of regional distribution centers within range of the Long Beach and LA ports. As well as a lot of increasing regulation to reduce emissions in/around the ports.

Will be interesting to see what things are like in 10 years.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you can get 500 miles + 300 miles every day that's pretty much going to cover the 11 hours per day max that long haul truckers are allowed to drive. Of course that depends on being able to hit an uber charger at about the right time of day.
The onboard computer system does the calculations for you along the entire route and gives you the optimum location and amount of time to charge for the most efficient trip.

• 1Like