What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The new Fords are really cool cars; Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, GT350, and GT are hot. I've never owned a Ford, but I've been trying to find a GT350R since they came out and still can't get one without a $15,000-$20,000 or more mark up. But, Porsche is also releasing the 991.2 GT3 with a manual, so.....

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah, I'm not a big domestic fan but I've owned the SRT-4 and the Fiesta ST, both are phenomenal on the road. The ST is better than the MK6 GTi as a drivers car in my opinion and I beat a MK7 GTi the other day in a drag race.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I don't get how a 4 door sedan is a midlife crisis car. I have a carseat in my 911. :)

I agree with you. But when that 4 door sedan has a 6.4L V8 and does 0-60 in 4.4s with a top speed of 175mph and is black with black rims...maybe it's more douchey than midlife crisis-y but IDGAF I love it! See avatar.

Hekotat

I never could get down on black rims, not my thing. I do love gold on certain colors (blue/white/black, especially Subarus) and silver of course.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The new Fords are really cool cars; Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, GT350, and GT are hot. I've never owned a Ford, but I've been trying to find a GT350R since they came out and still can't get one without a $15,000-$20,000 or more mark up. But, Porsche is also releasing the 991.2 GT3 with a manual, so.....

I bought a 2014 Fiesta a few years ago and was absolutely shocked at how fun to drive the car is, even with it's meager 110hp. Deals this past Fall were too good to pass up. Traded it in for a 2016:

fist_1920x1200_p_zps4kbzvccl.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I never could get down on black rims, not my thing. I do love gold on certain colors (blue/white/black, especially Subarus) and silver of course.

I love the black with white and obviously black on black, to each their own. Hellcat just came out with Brass Monkey wheels and they look awesome, better in person but you get the idea here.

13256727_600605053446866_1636910672_n.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

I bought a 2014 Fiesta a few years ago and was absolutely shocked at how fun to drive the car is, even with it's meager 110hp. Deals this past Fall were too good to pass up. Traded it in for a 2016:

View attachment 110384
Replace those shitter OEM brake pads with the mountune road/track pads for insane stopping ability, and they will way outlast the OEM variants. Mine didn't make it 15k miles and they ruined the rotors.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love the black with white and obviously black on black, to each their own. Hellcat just came out with Brass Monkey wheels and they look awesome, better in person but you get the idea here.

Cat wheels]

Yup, love the Brass Monkey wheels. I chose them for my car. Just wish they were a little wider.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I thought I could deal with an automatic transmission, but I'm utterly hating it. The Infiniti is nice enough, but god it's boring as fuck to drive. I'm only two months in and already looking forward to the end of the lease.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
So car bros, I come to you seeking opinions. I think I may be losing it, but is the fox body mustang becoming cool?

Seeing Matt Farah's fox body in particular, I find myself thinking "Man, that actually looks pretty cool. When and how did that happen?!"

maxresdefault.jpg

You can still find them around fairly cheaply, and they seem like a fairly excellent platform for modifying. Although reading about the $40k that Matt dumped into his personal one is a bit daunting and worrying, lol. That said I'm sure similar things could be done for a lot less if you did some of the work yourself. The notchbacks and old california highway patrol models I find especially tough looking. Not so much the hatchbacks.

I mean, it checks off a lot of the boxes I would have for a modded (semi)classic car.

-2 door.
-good modding platform. With the bonus that mods are plentiful and relatively cheap compared to german stuff especially.
-looks pretty tough with the right stance and wheels and such.
-doesn't really set off the pretentious alarms. The downside of this is there isn't a lot of brand cachet, but I'm getting less and less worried about this.
-semi-classic, but not so much that you wouldn't want to drive it all the time, or park it on the street somewhere, etc.
-starting to appreciate in value (apparently)
-not a slug in modern traffic.
-semi-rare to see driving around every day.
-great sounding v8.

I'm sure I'm not even thinking of them all.

So there's a certain stigma attached to guys who drive modern mustangs (unless I'm mistaken). Basically the stigma of the guy who's a giant douchebro and is about 2 cups of coffee away from powersliding into a parked car out of the next driveway picking up taco bell. I think the fox body is old enough that this stigma pretty much no longer applies to it.

So what do you bros think? Good thing to pick up and mod and then daily drive eventually? Or am I better off ditching this quixotic fantasy?

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

My friends and I still call those the Asian mustangs...

Find the 5.0 Interceptor I think 89? thing is stupid insanely fast and agile.

They are getting in style because they...to some... look retro- as opposed to looking like a horrific ploy to make mustangs great, small and stupid looking again.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
It might be my love of smaller JDM stuff, but I much prefer the new sleeker looking Mustangs.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So car bros, I come to you seeking opinions. I think I may be losing it, but is the fox body mustang becoming cool?

Seeing Matt Farah's fox body in particular, I find myself thinking "Man, that actually looks pretty cool. When and how did that happen?!"

View attachment 110575

You can still find them around fairly cheaply, and they seem like a fairly excellent platform for modifying. Although reading about the $40k that Matt dumped into his personal one is a bit daunting and worrying, lol. That said I'm sure similar things could be done for a lot less if you did some of the work yourself. The notchbacks and old california highway patrol models I find especially tough looking. Not so much the hatchbacks.

I mean, it checks off a lot of the boxes I would have for a modded (semi)classic car.

-2 door.
-good modding platform. With the bonus that mods are plentiful and relatively cheap compared to german stuff especially.
-looks pretty tough with the right stance and wheels and such.
-doesn't really set off the pretentious alarms. The downside of this is there isn't a lot of brand cachet, but I'm getting less and less worried about this.
-semi-classic, but not so much that you wouldn't want to drive it all the time, or park it on the street somewhere, etc.
-starting to appreciate in value (apparently)
-not a slug in modern traffic.
-semi-rare to see driving around every day.
-great sounding v8.

I'm sure I'm not even thinking of them all.

So there's a certain stigma attached to guys who drive modern mustangs (unless I'm mistaken). Basically the stigma of the guy who's a giant douchebro and is about 2 cups of coffee away from powersliding into a parked car out of the next driveway picking up taco bell. I think the fox body is old enough that this stigma pretty much no longer applies to it.

So what do you bros think? Good thing to pick up and mod and then daily drive eventually? Or am I better off ditching this quixotic fantasy?

Has the suspension design from a '75 Fairmont and drives like it. Absolutely treacherous in the rain or uneven pavement.

Old mustangs have the same dudebro rep as the new mustangs, except now you're a poor dudebro. Nothing wrong with that, just telling you what the perception is. Like some hipster in an old M3. You know what he was going for, but he only had $15k instead of $50k.

Also be prepared to be VERY underwhelmed with the power of those things especially compared to modern cars. Stock for stock a new camry V6 will smoke your ass in that thing.

• 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Has the suspension design from a '75 Fairmont and drives like it. Absolutely treacherous in the rain or uneven pavement.

Old mustangs have the same dudebro rep as the new mustangs, except now you're a poor dudebro. Nothing wrong with that, just telling you what the perception is. Like some hipster in an old M3. You know what he was going for, but he only had $15k instead of $50k.

Also be prepared to be VERY underwhelmed with the power of those things especially compared to modern cars. Stock for stock a new camry V6 will smoke your ass in that thing.

I kind of agree with you about the image aspect. But I do think that image is slowly fading away from the fox body. Could be wrong though.
EDIT: And my current car is an E36 M3, lol. I bought it cause it performs well and it's cheap to buy, not really for any illusions about the image though. Or so I tell myself.

As far as the suspension and handling, that's what the mods are for! :)

Read what Matt Farah did to his, it's pretty comprehensive and makes it handle canyons as good as or better than a porsche.

Matt's Mustang

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Who cares what other people perceive you as? Drive what you want, as long as you can afford it.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I kind of agree with you about the image aspect. But I do think that image is slowly fading away from the fox body. Could be wrong though.
EDIT: And my current car is an E36 M3, lol. I bought it cause it performs well and it's cheap to buy, not really for any illusions about the image though. Or so I tell myself.

As far as the suspension and handling, that's what the mods are for! :)

Read what Matt Farah did to his, it's pretty comprehensive and makes it handle canyons as good as or better than a porsche.

Matt's Mustang

Or you can just get yourself a 987.2 Cayman S for probably under $40k. Completely retarded to light money on fire modding an antique like that.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most Fox Body Mustangs are garbage and unless you want to spend 6 figures like Matt did, you won't be getting much to speak about. Now, if your goal is to go 10's in the quarter mile, you can do that in a Fox Body for under $10,000. If you want to rip up the road course or auto cross, you can do that in a Fox Body for under $10,000. If you want it to look awesome, drive awesome, accelerates fast and brakes hard, then you're looking at a car that costs as much or more than a new Mustang Coyote.

Retro is definitely in these days and cool older cars are great. But, it's always going to carry with it a high cost to do it right.

• 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I've been to a lot of track events and I've never seen a Fox body mustang ripping anything up.

• 1Solidarity