What vehicle do you drive?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think worrying about cross country trips is sort of silly in your electric car calculation unless you actually do that often. Probably 95% of most people's driving is within 100 miles of home and if you really do want to go on the all american road trip, it's not that big a deal to just rent a gas vehicle for a week so you don't have to plan your trip around finding chargers.

To me that's not even the worst part though. Even if you can find chargers, you have to wait for the charge. Plus let's be real, the effective range of any vehicle on internal stores is round trip, not one way. So with a safety margin you're looking for 150-180 (highway) miles on the best electric right now if charging can't be guaranteed. I don't consider it going "cross country" to go to Vegas and not only would I need to go out of my way to get there (I think an extra hour to use the "right" roads), I'm not even sure any if the resorts have trickle chargers for valet use.

I would still buy an inexpensive priced electric expressly for around town but I think you're underselling how short of a trip turns into "cross country" in an electric right now that you're handwaving away as rare and an outlier.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think worrying about cross country trips is sort of silly in your electric car calculation unless you actually do that often. Probably 95% of most people's driving is within 100 miles of home and if you really do want to go on the all american road trip, it's not that big a deal to just rent a gas vehicle for a week so you don't have to plan your trip around finding chargers.

I'm driving the P85 home cross country at this moment (sitting at a supercharger) and it's fucking painless. I go from 10% to 60% in less than 25 minutes (120-140kw charge rate) then blast to the next supercharger. It's marginally less convenient than a gas car but it's no big deal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just got back from the dyno, friend's car took a shit on the dyno. It was heartbreaking seeing his dreams get crushed.

I had some issues as well, at 4,700rpm and up my TPS signal started getting interference, so the ECU was thinking you are letting off the gas pedal so it would cut fuel and cause tuning issues. That being said we were only able to tune to 6k rpm instead of going to 8k, and it was very sketchy AFR ratios.

I put down 150hp @6k rpm, he told me to figure it out and bring back. Good thing was he only charged me half. It fucking screams though, I can't wait to push it to 8k.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Got home with the P85, Tesla makes road trips mildly annoying but really not an issue. I cat-napped while I did a couple of full charges then went almost 300 miles @ 75 on cruise drafting people.

Made it home 1300 miles in about 3 hours additional than it would have been in a gas car, and I spent more than half that time sleeping (which I should have done anyway).

Wonder how much the 911 will get driven now that I have this, the electric torque is pretty sick...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still need to make the trip across state to drive a guys supered tundra to see if i can justify the cost.

Trying someone's Uber mode tesla is my other vehicle bucket list.

Ill admit while i love the truck I'm also starting to miss my r32 for low to ground zippy cornering.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I always wanted and R32 (First gen) or Skyline.

I've seen a few R32's that have been imported by motorex and others, and they are very underwhelming. They're that typical kinda shitty late 80's/early 90's japanese car feel, very basic. They are low displacement and require huge turbos (and lag) to make power, the AWD masks that so it's not as shitty to drive as say a laggy Supra. But they're basically a cult car and the reality doesn't live up to the hype, particularly in the face of modern sports cars.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I agree, but they look sexy. What's stopped me is knowing I wouldn't be able to find any parts for it if it broke and if I did they would be astronomically expensive.

I'd rather have the R33 anyways, it looks so good.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I agree, but they look sexy. What's stopped me is knowing I wouldn't be able to find any parts for it if it broke and if I did they would be astronomically expensive.

I'd rather have the R33 anyways, it looks so good.

They're a lot more upright and conventional looking in person than they seem to be on the internet where every car has crazy body kits and is slammed to the ground etc. They're not remarkable looking in person at all. The R35 is the one that starts to have somewhat exotic proportions IMO.

R33 honestly looks a lot like a 240SX with a body kit.

Sludig

I've seen a few R32's that have been imported by motorex and others, and they are very underwhelming. They're that typical kinda shitty late 80's/early 90's japanese car feel, very basic. They are low displacement and require huge turbos (and lag) to make power, the AWD masks that so it's not as shitty to drive as say a laggy Supra. But they're basically a cult car and the reality doesn't live up to the hype, particularly in the face of modern sports cars.
You guys are thinking of the 04,. Mine was the 08. Nicer interior though certainly not luxury but blew pants off sti/evo. Also was NA v6, only 5000 in us. Its no Shelby in a straight line but still smoked the basic v8 muscle and other cars on highway is why i like it. Or doing traffic circle by work at 50...

Sludig

We are talking about Nissan Skylines dog
The later comments sure that became apparent, (fucking same name cars), but his first response to mine was also "VW R32" followed by yours going on about turbo lag etc. 9/10 times when people asked about my car or whatever they all assumed it was a turbo 4 like the GTI so it fit with that phenomenon......

I'd had my reply typed but got interupted so a delayed hitting post from phone @ work.

And yes Nissans dogshit, course I'm embittered by the Juke in my garage of the wifes and the few rare times I'm forced to be seen in the thing.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The later comments sure that became apparent, (fucking same name cars), but his first response to mine was also "VW R32" followed by yours going on about turbo lag etc. 9/10 times when people asked about my car or whatever they all assumed it was a turbo 4 like the GTI so it fit with that phenomenon......

I'd had my reply typed but got interupted so a delayed hitting post from phone @ work.

And yes Nissans dogshit, course I'm embittered by the Juke in my garage of the wifes and the few rare times I'm forced to be seen in the thing.

Looking back, he may have been talking about VW's. I assumed he wouldn't be so I kinda skipped over that... my bad

Sludig

I'll forgive you, if you bring that Tesla over to the rockies. No charger stations round here so it may take a little longer trickling off of a 7-11 outlet.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'll forgive you, if you bring that Tesla over to the rockies. No charger stations round here so it may take a little longer trickling off of a 7-11 outlet.

Seems to be plenty. I could make it there easily. I was trying to figure out how hard it'd be to get to Telluride. Would be close coming from the Farmington supercharger depending how cold it is. Teslas dont do as well in the severe cold since the batteries need warming, which costs power.

superchargers.PNG