Whats rustling your jimmies?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
LOOOONG fuckin story.

Like a week ago My steam boiler blew up! Like literally shot a couple pipes off it and the water level gauge. When I bought the house the inspector told me it would need to be replaced sooner than later because it was waaaay too rusty and the owner didn't take care of it. Plus it was from the 70's! It was literally a hazard IMO. But short sale...I'll wait until it blows up. And it did!

Put in a half of tank of oil, so it's the 1st fire up after a bleeding for the winter. It's been unusually warm here in Massachusetts thank goodness. I'm putting a load in the dryer, and something seemed off with the way the boiler sounded, so I walk over and BOOOOM! There's fuckin steam everywhere. RED scalding water is shooting out! My fire alarms start going off! Cats and Dogs living together! I was scared shitless.

MY dumbass moves toward the boiler thinking I can shut it off. That 1st hot water hit my black ass and I backed right the fuck up! I finally got to thinking straight, and turned the waster off at the main, and flipped the breakers for the whole fuckin house, since I couldn't see shit. Open the basement door. I'm fuckin stressed outta my mind at this point because I know how much a new boiler costs.

Fast forward a couple hours. I can get in the basement again after going out the basement door. It looks like fuckin Freddy vs Jason down there. Come to find out rust has been building up throughout the boiler and a secondary hot water tank. So rust water, which I thought would be brown is red. Looks like I murdered someone down there. I'm about to have s stroke I swear.

Bare with me here...

Fast forward a couple days. I get a few plumbers to come by to see if they can "fix" this shit. They all laugh at my ass. The lowest price was 9k if he can work after hours. Most expensive was 13k. I went with the 9k. Duh. And boy did I regret this. Not in the way you think though!

Plumber comes by to start cutting pipes etc. He brings his 10 Y.O son who is special needs. He's his helper. Cute kid. Speech impediment and you can tell there is something slightly off. But cute kid. So the plumber and his partner and the boy are down there a few hours. I go to check on them. His partner left so it's just the plumber and his son. Son asks me to use the bathroom. Off the living room kid. Wash your hands.

20 minutes later the boy has not returned from using the bathroom. Plumber calls his sons name thru the floor. "Let's go Billy!". The son responds "I'm trying!". Weird response but OK. I head upstairs. The boy shoots past me on the stairs. As I am walking upstairs I can smell the little bastard tore my bathroom up! I'm going to let that cool off a bit before I go clean the toilet after him. (I can't stand people using my toilet).

I head to my bedroom. An hour has passed. Plumber and son are long gone. BUT! The smell isn't going away. I head to the bathroom, but before I can get there...From my KITCHEN to the living room to the bathroom there is a trail of SHIT on my floor. It was a scene out of Daddy Day Care in my bathroom! There was shit on the floor! Shit on the walls! Shit on the sink! Shit on TOP of the toilet! Shit everywhere! I have the lowest of low constitutions, and run to the kitchen sink to throw up! Disgusting I know. But it's what was there.

I can't clean this up. Call my mother from upstairs, and show/explain. She can't stop laughing and says I am on my own! She comes back with bleach, gloves, mask etc. I can't call the plumber directly to have him clean up this shit, because it's through a service. I'm on my own.

Two hours and two bottles of bleach, rolls of paper towels later, I am done.

I have been shot. I have been stabbed. I have had meningitis. I have had a spinal tap. I even had someone try and cut my throat! This was more painful than all of those!

The next morning the plumber calls me, and says he left his wrench somewhere over my house. I say I will look for it, and let him know if I find it. I say NOTHING about his son shitting all over my house! Why you may ask? My daughter is special needs, and when she was like five Y.O, I had a similar situation. She made a mess in an ex friends bathroom, and he went nutzo in front of everyone. It's an embarrassing situation to be in. I wasn't going to be an asshole. Plus there was zero reason to mention it since I had cleaned up. Thoroughly. PLUS I know he had to have known his son made a mess. They were in the same truck! If my house was any indication, he knew his son had made a mess. PLUS he was clearly fishing my response with the lost tool thing. Come on.

He calls me again to ask me about the tool like a couple hours later. "Nope, didn't see it". He then stutters and says he mean to say he found it! Come on. He comes back that night with his partner. No son. He's a little awkward when I let him in the basement at this point. I still say nothing.

They finally get the old boiler moved after a third guy comes to help. They just start cleaning up, and will order the boiler soon as I give them the next deposit.

That night the plumber calls me. Tells me if I don't mind, he has a boiler that is less than 6 years old. Will sell it to me for 1k. Work installing will be another 3k. He uses some of the piping. I'm skeptical. But I say let's see how good/bad shape it's in, and I will decide. PLUS I don't pay him until it's running a week. He brings it the next night. It's smaller, definitely a newer model. How old I have no idea. Well compared to the old boiler, it's from the future! He says he will give me in writing 5 years of him replacing/fixing the boiler. Cool! They install it next day.

Been a week, Small leak that I can see. I THINK the new Amazon thermostat isn't the right type of thermostat. (I just snagged an old analog thermostat to replace the Amazon). I have to set the temp like 4 degrees lower than what I want in the house. According to the thermostat, it's 71 in the house. It's definitely hotter. BUT my god. It's been running a week, and my oil gauge hasn't moved! Plus the radiators are 100% filled with steam. Quiet as a mouse, and just seem to be...working better all around. He's coming today to install the new thermostat/look at sensor and fix the the leak.

I know some of you guys are plumbers. Worth 4k?

Here's the old boiler after the aftermath!

View attachment 448692

View attachment 448693

And the "new"...

View attachment 448694

Jeeze dude, what a story.

I like that he gave you a 5 year warranty, but what's to say he will be around for that long? And his phone number will be active? Did he give you physical location of his shop so you can go to him if need be?

Putting in a used boiler is always risky. Why was it taken out in the first place if it was fine?

I really hope this works out well for you, but I'm worried you bought a lemon.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Screenshot_20221219-065345~2.png
Screenshot_20221219-065353~2.png
Screenshot_20221219-065332~2.png

• 1Harrow
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Jeeze dude, what a story.

I like that he gave you a 5 year warranty, but what's to say he will be around for that long? And his phone number will be active? Did he give you physical location of his shop so you can go to him if need be?

Putting in a used boiler is always risky. Why was it taken out in the first place if it was fine?

I really hope this works out well for you, but I'm worried you bought a lemon.

I know it's risky. I will spend the loot and have my oil company inspect/tuneup see what they say. As for where it came from, his girlfriend bought a new house. He put in forced hot air and solar. I will get the address and the number prior to giving him the 3k I owe him.

THUS far he has been more than stand up. Has come on time. Been pretty forthwith on everything. Sending an electrician for the thermostat today, along with chopping the old boiler up today to lug it off.

I do cross my fingers though. But MAN I can honestly say this one is so much more quiet and efficient.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I know it's risky. I will spend the loot and have my oil company inspect/tuneup see what they say. As for where it came from, his girlfriend bought a new house. He put in forced hot air and solar. I will get the address and the number prior to giving him the 3k I owe him.

THUS far he has been more than stand up. Has come on time. Been pretty forthwith on everything. Sending an electrician for the thermostat today, along with chopping the old boiler up today to lug it off.

I do cross my fingers though. But MAN I can honestly say this one is so much more quiet and efficient.

What happens if he brings his kid again?

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Guy on this forum I read posts a comment like this:

"I have been shot. I have been stabbed. I have had meningitis. I have had a spinal tap. I even had someone try and cut my throat! This was more painful than all of those!"

And doesn't follow it up. You'd have to be blind to not know that would at least warrant a FEW details.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Guy on this forum I read posts a comment like this:

"I have been shot. I have been stabbed. I have had meningitis. I have had a spinal tap. I even had someone try and cut my throat! This was more painful than all of those!"

And doesn't follow it up. You'd have to be blind to not know that would at least warrant a FEW details.

*shrug*

Late 80's Early 90's. Teens early 20's.

Shot by a "rival" gang that wanted to sell on our block. Dead end street, lined with apartments where you couldn't see the back of the dead end. Perfect for seeing, evading warning about incoming cops. No one after me in particular. Two 25's to the right leg.

Stabbed by this dude Chavel because we took his stolen car (called a goose). You stole a car. If the chop didn't want it for whatever reason, you used that car to get another. We aren't talking Corvettes here. Talking Camry's and Accords, which you would get about 2k a car for. He was sitting on the car too long. No one wanted it. Perfect goose. We drop his car, get a couple Accords. He argues with me over him getting one of the cars full cost. I whip his ass. He literally jumps out some bushes and stabs me in the back. Collapsed lung. Couple weeks later we destroy his personal car. His mothers house. His dad's house. His dad moves him to another state.

Meningitis I was one of like 3 cases in Massachusetts. Was on the news and everything! Had viral not bacterial. I can honestly see how people die from this. My head felt like scanners.

Spinal tap for the meningitis. 23 attempts I am told. I fainted after the 5th try or whatever. Too much muscle on my back. They wind up getting a surgeon from Boston area hospital Dude gets fluid 1st attempt. I wind up meeting that surgeon like 5 years later. I went to work in IT at that hospital. He obviously had no clue who I was even after I told him how I knew him.

Stopped my best bud from beating the shit out his girl IN THE STREET. He goes after me with a knife. I pull a gun. He backs down. Couple nights later he's hiding around the corner of a building with one of those machetes. I heard him, back away, he clips my neck. I run away. We shoot up his building. He shoots up my dads house. My dad calls police (He's a public defender). Cops find nothing about me shooting up his house. He gets 10 years. We move very soon after. Same city. Plusher neighborhood. No idea what happened to my "best friend" even today. Nor do I care.

I have a TON more that people won't believe. Hell a couple involve people on this board!

• 4Mother of God
  • 1Blown
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
*shrug*

Shot by a "rival" gang that wanted to sell on our block. Dead end street, lined with apartments where you couldn't see the back of the dead end. Perfect for seeing, evading warning about incoming cops. No one after me in particular. Two 25's to the right leg.

Stabbed by this dude Chavel because we took his stolen car (called a goose). You stole a car. If the chop didn't want it for whatever reason, you used that car to get another. We aren't talking Corvettes here. Talking Camry's and Accords, which you would get about 2k a car for. He was sitting on the car too long. No one wanted it. Perfect goose. We drop his car, get a couple Accords. He argues with me over him getting one of the cars full cost. I whip his ass. He literally jumps out some bushes and stabs me in the back. Collapsed lung. Couple weeks later we destroy his personal car. His mothers house. His dad's house. His dad moves him to another state.

Meningitis I was one of like 3 cases in Massachusetts. Was on the news and everything! Had viral not bacterial. I can honestly see how people die from this. My head felt like scanners.

Spinal tap for the meningitis. 23 attempts I am told. I fainted after the 5th try or whatever. Too much muscle on my back. They wind up getting a surgeon from Boston area hospital Dude gets fluid 1st attempt. I wind up meeting that surgeon like 5 years later. I went to work in IT at that hospital. He obviously had no clue who I was even after I told him how I knew him.

Stopped my best bud from beating the shit out his girl IN THE STREET. He goes after me with a knife. I pull a gun. He backs down. Couple nights later he's hiding around the corner of a building with one of those machetes. I heard him, back away, he clips my neck. I run away. We shoot up his building. He shoots up my dads house. My dad calls police (He's a public defender). Cops find nothing about me shooting up his house. He gets 10 years. We move very soon after. Same city. Plusher neighborhood. No idea what happened to my "best friend" even today. Nor do I care.

I have a TON more that people won't believe. Hell a couple involve people on this board!

So, these are screen play ideas, yeah?

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
*shrug*

I have mad respect for you getting out of that. You seem like you've got your shit together, and your family is important. Good for you. Honestly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I have mad respect for you getting out of that. You seem like you've got your shit together, and your family is important. Good for you. Honestly.

It was pretty easy to avoid everything until I got to high school. I was in my boys basement playing/setting up D&D lots of nights while dudes were out there selling. My parents being educated was the whole thing really. My pops was a pub defender, then a teacher/principal. Moms was an executive secretary (Remember we are talking 70's 80's) and you needed a degree to work at that level even as a secretary. They made sure I spoke well and studied my ass off before I started running the streets.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It was pretty easy to avoid everything until I got to high school. I was in my boys basement playing/setting up D&D lots of nights while dudes were out there selling. My parents being educated was the whole thing really. My pops was a pub defender, then a teacher/principal. Moms was an executive secretary (Remember we are talking 70's 80's) and you needed a degree to work at that level even as a secretary. They made sure I spoke well and studied my ass off before I started running the streets.

Like I said, mad respect for you, and also for your parents. They did that right.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Okay, big rustle. I was on my way to the basement with a couple bags of water softener salt, and my cat decided it had to be in my feet. Yeah. I fell down an entire flight of stairs. Spent a couple hours at an urgent care, I didn't break anything. I thought I had broken ribs, but I'm all good. I have a very mild concussion, no worries. But holy mother of all that is holy, my body is so sore. I'm going to exist on ibuprofen for the next week.

Fucking cat. Good thing it's cute.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Rustled
  • 1WTF

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Okay, big rustle. I was on my way to the basement with a couple bags of water softener salt, and my cat decided it had to be in my feet. Yeah. I fell down an entire flight of stairs. Spent a couple hours at an urgent care, I didn't break anything. I thought I had broken ribs, but I'm all good. I have a very mild concussion, no worries. But holy mother of all that is holy, my body is so sore. I'm going to exist on ibuprofen for the next week.

Would it be a cat if it wasn't trying to kill you by tripping multiple times a day?

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
So, these are screen play ideas, yeah?
It was a series of books. I remember reading them.

Brahma and the Broken Bullet. A sleeper hit, spent a few months on NY Times best seller's list.

Brahma and the Silent Shank. Sequel to the 1989 hit, arrived to bated breath and was met with critical acclaim and massive sales figures.

Brahma and the 7th Day Adventists. This is the book that drove the author to near ruin and drove his publisher out of business. Author spent the next 14 years working on another book in the Brahma line...Brahma and the Silent Shaw Shank Redemption which again catapulted the author to riches and worldwide acclaim.

Finally...the last installment is due out in a few weeks. Brahma and The Ballad of the Lost.

Rumor has it, the series is set to be made into a series of movies with Clint Eastwood, Quentin Tarantino, and the Cohen Brothers directing, writing and cinematography and editing.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

iu

• 2Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 2 users