Wheel of Time series

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
oh ya i wanted to mention that saban, total let down.

personally i think brandon just ran out of space.

Kadmoran_sl

shitlord
And done. I feel like this is gonna take a few days to really settle in after speeding through it. That was pretty awesome.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Since it's been such a long time, I'm actually starting at book 1 and rereading the whole series. I'm 1/4 of the way through Eye of the World and while the characters are all familiar the story feels fresh again to me.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday, i get the feeling it would be the ultimate "Who do you think you are?" moment.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
On about pg. 450, a little after the Demandred reveal. It's fine, just a little out of left field. Good intro though.

So far I'm loving this. Aside from one or two "oh, here's this plot element that is going to get NO introduction because we don't have time" moments, it's pretty awesome. Martin could learn a thing or two.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i wanted to see that meeting between hawkwing and tuon myself-again i think it was dropped due to space/pages constraints. it could have been awesome.
frown.png

my biggest disappointment remains Fain, here he is being built up into potentially a new dark one, killing/corrupting shadowspawn with a touch...etc. and its , go in with the fog,,, mat gets touched and collapses. next thing you know fain steps past mat, he gets up and stabs fain, says what do you know, i'm immune, bam end of plot of fain. sucked sucked sucked

Min being the new truthspeaker was a twist i did not see coming, i was expecting setalle (the burnt out AS)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
You know what, I honestly think my favorite character from the entire first half is Androl of all people. He's a hell of a guy.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
You know what, I honestly think my favorite character from the entire first half is Androl of all people. He's a hell of a guy.
Totally - he's the classic underdog type. But when...

he opens up that massive gateway spilling lava directly from Dragonmount? Truly badass.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, so please no spoilers. After all these years, with all these books, did this last one deliver an ending fitting of the series (as a whole book)?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
what made it even more badass was the AS perspective from eqwene i think it was,
"why is logain giving leadership of the circle to him? he is so weak in the one power"

then BAM he opens a HUGE gate which spews lava clears a huge swath of shadowspawn, gate closes, then another opens to the west then east doing the same thing.

Zindan, that is a good question, hard to quantify really, the overall climax was good not great.
there were several things i wish were done differently, some characters after being so secretive (demandred) were WAY out of character as portrayed in previous books.

there were things that were "too neatly" wrapped up.

there were things that were not covered:

alanna's disappearance the why and how of it.
no joline.
a few things that are completely missed that "happen" yet are not "covered" in the book.
imo a VERY poor wrapup of Padan Fain -especially after all the buildup he has had since THE FIRST FUCKING BOOK.

things i wanted to go differently

Mat & Galgan- especially since the buildup in chapter 11
Mat & Tuon's initial meeting, while good, could have been SIGNIFICANTLY better.
Suian & Garath Byrne.

things i Liked how Sanderson did it:
Lan..all of his parts
how someone's Death Scene was Done....

etc, i could go on.

imo the problem was, jordan left SO many plot points to cover and Sanderson just WRapped most of the extraneous ones up ASAP, just to get the book Done.

oh btw on the E-Book, Harriet was the one that caused the DELAY in the E-book release Tor & Brandon wanted it day 1 she wanted it to be delayed for a YEAR to Ensure that it got #1 hardcover best seller.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
oh just thought of another thing i liked.,..

Matt and the Horn of Valare...

since Mat Died in umm book 4? and came back via balefire, his Link TO the horn was broken, ANYONE could have Blown the Horn and become the new Hornsounder, but everyone ASSUMED it was Mat(since he blew the horn in book 2) so never tried to use it until.....Olver blows it during the last battle while trying to get it to Mat. btw Noal(jain farstrider is a hero of the horn)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I've only just passed Demandred's reveal but I'm sorta meh on it. He's been such an intriguing villain for so long that I was expecting a really dramatic reveal with a twist, but instead it was pretty much out of left field. I still feel like Taim was originally slated to be Demandred but that it changed once Jordan realized people had already guessed it. The relationship between Taim and Rand is so much more like what Demandred's had always been described than the actual result.

Also his name makes me think of The Deer Hunter.

Also, was the "last secret" of Callandor ever detailed in the books, or did it just pop up in this one? It seemed very sudden to me.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Yeah, I've only just passed Demandred's reveal but I'm sorta meh on it. He's been such an intriguing villain for so long that I was expecting a really dramatic reveal with a twist, but instead it was pretty much out of left field. I still feel like Taim was originally slated to be Demandred but that it changed once Jordan realized people had already guessed it. The relationship between Taim and Rand is so much more like what Demandred's had always been described than the actual result.
I've thought the exact same thing for ages, it's really, really obvious that Taim was originally intended to be Demandred, just looking at the narrative structure of Lord of Chaos, but it pisses the dragonmount.com crowd off so much when you say it 'Jordan wouldn't lie to us like that!'

Once he changed it so Taim was no longer Demandred it was pretty obvious where Dem was, so it wasn't much of a shock to me when the reveal came.

Anyway, about 2/3 of the way in, gonna wrap it up today.