Wheel of Time series

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i hated Matt until book umm 3? once he was cured of the taint of the Dagger

Lan was second best

at the fight vs Damondred

D: who the are you?
L: i'm the man that is going to kill you.

they fight yadda yadda yadda

D: you cannot win against me i am better
L: you didn't understand what i said, i didn't say i was going to win, i said i was going to kill you
Lan then does the ultimate sacrifice and purposely "sheathes the Sword" to get in close then Snik...off goes D's Head.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just finished. Nearly 20 years reading the series so I'm satisfied with the ending, but it was so annoying that even until the end all of the main characters never got over of their severe misconceptions of each others intents. They could Travel since early in the series and never took the time to meet up and actually talk anything out.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Crazy how the story can go insane fight / epic love story to people complaining about doing dishes for 100 pages

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I started me re-read after readin Wheel of Time sometime in the early 90s. I've been rereading this series for over 20 years and stopped at book 10. I couldn't finish the book after Rand cleansed saidin. Finally picked up WoT again right before my daughter was born and finished the series today.

I agree with everything said here in the thread, but I just want to toss out that I like Sanderson's mat better.

9veh

Trakanon Raider
Finally finished this book today.

For me it was a very slow read as I was never able to connect emotionally to what was happening in the book. Every time I reached a chapter featuring Perrin's shifting frenzy I put the book down. Most of the other items I found disappointing have been mentioned in detail earlier (Padan Fain/Mashadar, Demandred, Callandor as a sa'angreal for the True Power, Perrin etc). As was posted earlier I also felt the last battle was highly reminiscent of the Ruin & Preservation scenario from Mistborn.

Glad the series is finished, but not much else..

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
A good series and after all he went through it was good to see Lews Therin/Rand (the same person) win in the end, after all he got put through (in both ages really). I liked how they solved the split personality thing, basically as long as Rand thought he had someone else in his head, he was crazy, because he didn't. He was just talking to himself the whole time.
tongue.png

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I'm about 2/3rds of the way into the first book and I really dislike the slow plodding pace of the writing. Many of the story ideas are pretty damn epic, and exactly the kind of stuff I'd want to read about. But this is just too dry for my tastes. Too much like Tolkien, and not enough like Martin / Rothfuss / Lynch.

Would it be better to just skip the series and start Way of Kings or something else?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
honestly. try reading through to the end of the 2nd book. if by then it has not grabbed you, it won't(end of 2nd book is WAY better than end of first book).

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Abruptly, Himeo decided to continue reading. Abruptly.

Abruptly.

It became a drinking game for me.

Abruptly.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I imagine a lot of us would have a different opinion of the "good" books of the series if we reread them. The series is that old that most of us read them so long ago. I know my taste in books and movies has changed since I started reading WoT.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
I'm about 2/3rds of the way into the first book and I really dislike the slow plodding pace of the writing. Many of the story ideas are pretty damn epic, and exactly the kind of stuff I'd want to read about. But this is just too dry for my tastes. Too much like Tolkien, and not enough like Martin / Rothfuss / Lynch.

Would it be better to just skip the series and start Way of Kings or something else?
if you had trouble making it through the first book you are better off reading anything else, cause you wont make it through the next 8 books without them being nailed to your eyes.

I imagine a lot of us would have a different opinion of the "good" books of the series if we reread them. The series is that old that most of us read them so long ago. I know my taste in books and movies has changed since I started reading WoT.
no wonder, you could easily go from being a teenager to grandpa in the time it took Jordan/Sanderson to publish that series.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Crazy how the story can go insane fight / epic love story to people complaining about doing dishes for 100 pages
I had to start skipping so many chapters in the last few books I read, it was retarded. There was one book I skipped like 80% of because it was almost entirely focused on characters I had 0 interest in any more and wished they'd all just die. I think I read all of them up until when RJ died but not sure. Last major event I remember is Rand and Nyn cleansing saidin and the big fight there altho maybe I read the book after that too.

I started the series when book 9 was about to come out (read the 2nd book first, checked out from the library). My dad got me the whole series up to Winter's Heart which was a new release hardback and I read them all, then read the next couple as they came out. I really hate waiting for the next part of any series to come out, tho. Such an agonizing long wait (even when it's only a week for a tv series or something).

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
All done.

The problem with a series based on prophecy is that everything else becomes collateral crap. Some of those issues were well written, but nevertheless, they automatically hold less meaning due to the whole 'there's going to be a last battle to decide the future so this won't really matter but its 9 million pages anyway' thing

Glad to put myself through it and unlike most Stephen King books, the ending wasn't too bad

*possible Spoiler alert*

Faile, all whitecloaks, Gawyn, Morgase, Fain, Slayer, seriously fuck that guy, the Shaido, politics, and immediately reborn forsaken should have been balefired from this series.

As far as women were concerned, that whole banging Aviendha in a sleeping bag while freezing to death thing always turned me on and I hope Rand ditches Elayne and Min for true source of poon, Aviendha. Min already seems the type to get too attached and Elayne is just a megabitch, so yes, asides from Avi's lack of bathing, the choice is easy as long as you can find some shoes for those f'd up feet she's gonna have. Maybe he can just imagine some new toes like he lit his pipe, who knows.

I thought Egwene pulling a Vegeta vs Buu was actually sweet and I was happy to see and Aes Sedai do something useful for a change. I liked Egwene, but I thought she was dehumanized too much to take on the Amy Seat role. Kind of like how Rand went from being a schizophrenic to a pretty chill guy after realizing he needed to let things play out, well, she just kept on the schizo path and never chilled, which sucks, because she had more potential for likability.

Despite all of its shortcomings, the series provided some amazing scenes that'll be with me forever. Scenes like the Horn blowing, AS getting cut thefuck down, the wisdom of Thom, Rand chasing down Rhavin after he just electrocuted his entire posse + Aviendha (The True Source of good sex), and all the cool parts in between. Hell, when I die now I even have a little hope that the pattern will spit me out again.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Read books 1-3 back to back and they were decent enough, took and break and now I am up to the part in Fires of Heaven where Rand finally gets his dick wet
Aviendha
sooooooooooooo tired of the I want him/her but I am chaste or this is wrong or whatever. The fawning back and forth and braid tugging and dreams about various people they want to bang, chapters go on and on and on and on about my dick is hard or my pussy is wet yet no one does a damn thing about it. I really don't care about the lack of sex/romance it isn't why I read these books, but if I have to read one more "I am so conflicted internal monologue" about how some one feels about some one else I think I am done. Pretty sure Matt is the only one that acts like a human being, they haven't gone back to Perrin yet after his Marriage so not sure about him either.

I hate every character except Lan, maybe Moiraine at this point.

Arakkis

N00b
I made it to book 9 (Winter's Heart) before I quit. I picked up Crossroads of Twilight a few years ago after a long break and found it enjoyable, but I'm so sick of reading hundreds of pages without the plot advancing. Is it worth it to finish the last few books? Should I just walk away from this series forever?