Wheel of Time

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 15 Votes
Title: Wheel of Time

First aired: 2018-12-30

Overview: Follow the quest to find the Dragon Reborn, who it is said will help unite forces to combat The Dark One. Based on the high fantasy novels written by Robert Jordan.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
TV Rights to The Wheel of Time Optioned by New Studio, With Jordan Estates Approval | Tor.com

This is going to end well, I can tell already.

Harriet McDougal, wife of the late Robert Jordan, dropped some exciting news late Thursday: the TV rights to Jordan?s Wheel of Time fantasy epic have been acquired by a major studio.

In the wake of the success of Game of Thrones, and considering the staggering amount of fantasy and sci-fi book properties that have been optioned for TV and film, the absence of The Wheel of Time has been eyebrow-raising. (Or in the parlance of the series itself, perhaps the better term is ?sniff producing??) Fans of the series were given a glimpse into the legal tangle preventing WOT?s emergence onto the small screen on February 9, 2015, when a sudden pilot episode dubbed ?Winter Dragon? aired in the early A.M. hours on the FXX Network. McDougal released a statement clarifying that the pilot was made without her knowledge, prompting Red Eagle Entertainment, the production company behind the pilot, to issue a lawsuit. (Which they later withdrew.) A more detailed account of the behind-the-scenes machinations can be found at io9, but regardless of the details, overall it seemed as if fans would have to wait a very long time to see Jordan?s work on screen in a large-scale production.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
God this show would be fucking terrible. 50% of the episodes would be braid tugging. And then Winter's Heart will arrive and that will be the end.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Unless it gets the financial backing of an HBO or Netflix type studio, there is a zero chance it will good. If it does get the money, it's still going to probably suck. And I'm a big fan of WoT. Hype level: 10%

Sterling

El Presidente
If this has a good budget and is cast well and they focus on the 3 main characters 90 percent of the time it could be something good. What are the odds of all of that coming together?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its funny, the articles I read this morning go into that (I didn't even know it existed).

Basically, what happened there was similar to when Interplay was trying to make it look like they were moving ahead with a Fallout MMO so they could retain the rights after their time period to produce something with those rights had expired.

Same thing here, basically, some company was given the rights to make a WOT TV show, but they were about to lose those rights because their contract claimed that if they didn't have a program aired on television by X date, then the rights would revert back to their original holder.

So they pumped out this shoddy, sub par pilot episode, and actually paid to rent the time to air it on FXX at 1 am or some shit, so they could claim that they had fulfilled this obligation under their contracts.

But since they didn't have permission from Jordan's widow to actually air the pilot, their contract was still voided or some shit, and the rights reverted back to the group that oversees Jordan's estate now.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Tried reading this series 3 times. First got to book 7, then twice to book 8.

The first few books I think are great, but when the story shifts to the communities, it turns into 10 pages of plot hidden between every 2-300 pages of dress, hair and landscape descriptions.

Have no doubt it could work well as a show, but it would require quite a bit of rewrites to focus the story and HBO/Netflix type money.

I think the books would do better in a LOTR style movie setup. Maybe with 4 movies. Could cut quite a bit in the transition between movies/plot points.
Movie 1: Story of world, meet characters and their powers.
Movie 2: Focus on the main 3 characters and their power growth + forsaken.
Movie 3: The clans/communities that form around the characters.
Movie 4: Epic conclusion? (Never got past the forming of communities in the books).

With a large budget behind it (for the quality of the massive CGI that would be required for all the magic and creatures), I'd eagerly anticipate any of those.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I picked up WoT as a kid, and actually have all the books up to...6? Maybe more, signed. Met Jordan multiple times at book signings.

I never got past book 8. Still haven't.

Books 1-3 are really decent, then it starts falling apart.

The best thing this IP ever created was the video game that came out way way back in the day.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
First 3-4 books were great twenty years ago when I read them, in particular the whole Seanchan plotline, but like most others it became boring, predictable, and repetitive in the later books. One of the few book series I started yet never finished.

It *could* be good if they stripped out 90% of the filler shit in the books and condensed it to focus on the Seanchan and Rand's boss mob encounters (I forget what they were called since it's been ages, but the "uber" powerful wizards he had to fight).

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Forsaken.

Books 1-6 are pretty dang good.
7 and 8 lose momentum big time.
9 is so so, lot of really bad but some really good.
10 is so bad I will never open it again
11 has a few good moments.
12-13 are the Sanderson books and are enjoyable.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
If Jordan's wife has control over any aspects of this, it'll be so fucking bad. She's the one who fucked everything when he was alive. The women in control, plot lines, and other retarded stuff. Then after he died she controlled every aspect of what Sanderson was allowed to do. You can still hear his anger and annoyance in posts or interviews he does and people ask him why didn't he do this or whatever. His response is almost always "Harriet". The only thing I ever learned from the wot series was never trust women named Harriet and women who liked to munch on pussy are called pillow friends.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I really enjoyed books 1-3. In book four the plot started spiraling out of control, getting too big and cumbersome. Too many details to keep track of, and by book 6 the entire book only covers something like three days. Couldn't make it past book 7. I'm interested in it, but it's not the best writing.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Lol my wife has been reading books 7 and 8 for over five years. Getting close to six at this point.

If Jordan's wife has control over any aspects of this, it'll be so fucking bad. She's the one who fucked everything when he was alive. The women in control, plot lines, and other retarded stuff. Then after he died she controlled every aspect of what Sanderson was allowed to do. You can still hear his anger and annoyance in posts or interviews he does and people ask him why didn't he do this or whatever. His response is almost always "Harriet". The only thing I ever learned from the wot series was never trust women named Harriet and women who liked to munch on pussy are called pillow friends.
that's interesting. i watched an interview of sanderson&harriet from ms research and was suprized to find out that she was jordan's editor and the editor of ender's game. what would sanderson have done differently? (links?). how do you know that she fucked jordan's books? the first book felt a bit inconsistent compared to 2-6. is there anything out there to compareto that didn't have her as the editor?
having read some of sanderson's other works, sometimes his wot books feels off or too sanderson-y... granted he had to hit plot points from the notes he got from jordan and i'm sure jordan told harriet to keep it within bounds.
really, the only thing that would probably placate the fans is canon -- if jordan had released his notes isntead.

i hope they dont reinterpret the books vibe into a dark got-esc vibe. to me wot feels like something youthful from your grandpa's era -- and by our standards -- almost naive. also, the added gay chars in the latter book just felt anachronistic. get the tone right and be consistent (see fargo season 2).

multiplayer wot was fucking amazing. shooting projectiles into portals, air shield on yourself then chain lightning in water to electrocute others in the water, etc.. main thing that needed nerfed was the tornado+balefire.

i imagine it's harder to appreciate these books for those adults who didn't read them growing up.
instead of reading books 7+, there's a reread synopsis chapter-by-chapter on tor for those that struggle to get through them.

there also needs to be an abridged version of this series (trim it down to 5-7 books). it would make it more palatable for new readers... hell for all readers. is there a fan edit that i'm not aware of?

Rais

Trakanon Raider
His notes were released. Or to a small collection of people. As for Sanderson he said he was given very small leeway in creating the last books, even though Jordan had next to nothing laid out. The only part Jordan had for the last "book" was Rand sitting on the horse and lighting the pipe ( More notes have been put out, so maybe there was more than just what was originally said). There is ton of info on Dragonmount. Originally before everyone put it together, Demandred was really Taim. Some good little bits here and there. I also think it was also to be about Rand and Perrin, but Jordan decided to add Mat to have "him" in the book. Hence the black hat and stuff and Jordan always wore his black hat because of it. His wife didn't want Mat also at the start.
Taim
A look at Robert Jordans Notes - Books and eBooks - News - Home - Dragonmount | Dragonmount | A Wheel of Time Community

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Someone be cool to a bro and spoil how the story actually ended for me.

I seriously have no idea. I always figured Rand's wound in his side would break open during his final battle with Shai'Tan, and that blood would fall onto the rock that he's supposed to shed his blood on, and that would be how Jordan tied it up.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database