Where are all the MMORPG games? lol

Where are all the MMORPGs, A+++ titles?

• Total voters

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
This thread is embarrassing.

THERE ARE 8+ BILLION PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. WE ARE PLAYING LIKE TWO MMORPGS.

This is impossible.

It cannot occur in base reality.

This isn't base reality.

This is a simulation.

w=400

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This thread is embarrassing.

THERE ARE 8+ BILLION PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. WE ARE PLAYING LIKE TWO MMORPGS.

This is impossible.

It cannot occur in base reality.

This isn't base reality.

This is a simulation.

Most of the MMO players out of those 8 billion people are playing p2w shit from Korea or China lol

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Honestly Ashes of Creation is about the only game coming out in the near future(Probably 2026) that has a chance of being the next big game. Yes the PvP is a turn off, but if done right it can hold a good audience similar too Dark Ages of Camelot. A lot of things can change between now and then. Maybe AoC decides to concentrate more on the PvE element of their game. Like it or not though, it is the only game in town that actually looks promising.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
MMOs are dead. Just like MMOs killed muds, shit like fortnite, survival sandbox games, and just the ubiquitous internet on our phones killed MMOs. Factor in to that the folks pining for a new one worth sinking our teeth into are at an age where we have real adult responsibilities and the market isn't there for something like a WoW now. Indie development is the best chance.

• 3Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
MMOs aren’t dead. It’s a matter of what you consider to be a MMO.

Games in the vein of WoW or FF14 are for sure an endangered species, but it is because that model of game is very expensive if you want any level of production value

However, we’re seeing hybrid games like Once Human being made. Action MMO-like games are very much alive. Don’t forget New World had an insanely high initial launch that was squandered due to design decisions. There is very much an appetite for the large scale cooperative/MMO model that doesn’t just copy paste the Everquest/WoW model

Xerge

<Donor>
Honestly Ashes of Creation is about the only game coming out in the near future(Probably 2026) that has a chance of being the next big game. Yes the PvP is a turn off, but if done right it can hold a good audience similar too Dark Ages of Camelot. A lot of things can change between now and then. Maybe AoC decides to concentrate more on the PvE element of their game. Like it or not though, it is the only game in town that actually looks promising.
This is pretty close to the true, although last word I got was end of 5090 life cycle. my industry predictions are AoC will take over the PC MMO crowd while ESO and NW will fight over the mmo-action-rpg console crowd; New world has the upper hand here releasing as cross platform and I foresee eventually holding the crown there. Riot MMO is restarting and then there's the indie MMOs, and that's it besides youre usual line up.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You’ve got rosier predictions for AoC than I do. If they don’t scale back the “lose shit when the city dies” and “lose shit when you get ganked” design, game is going to last about as long as Shadowbane. Especially if players perceive those loses are due to bugs, shitty balance, exploits, or poor network performance

NW on consoles I’m not so sure. Sure, they are going for a new audience, but the fundamental game base is remaining unchanged outside of some new player experience polish

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
Well they effectively turned A2 into a buy in early access at this point and I think AoC will get the feedback it needs during that time to scale back any bullshit, hopefully. If they don't they'll get accused of the same inept shit as new world devs not learning from the industry.

after the oct update NW will be in a state to finally pump content into and do dungeon and raid content updates regularly. The ESO console raid experience is pretty fucking trashy, suffering from issues like not having addons, performance, networking issues, etc. Wouldn't take much to get people interested in another console mmo.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Well they effectively turned A2 into a buy in early access at this point and I think AoC will get the feedback it needs during that time to scale back any bullshit, hopefully. If they don't they'll get accused of the same inept shit as new world devs not learning from the industry.

after the oct update NW will be in a state to finally pump content into and do dungeon and raid content updates regularly. The ESO console raid experience is pretty fucking trashy, suffering from issues like not having addons, performance, networking issues, etc. Wouldn't take much to get people interested in another console mmo.
Do they ever learn? I'm not sure there are many devs in the industry that give enough fucks to actually learn anything from other's mistakes and actually do something about it in their code.

After watching stupid fucking decision after stupid fucking decision get made in Everquest where the customers literally tell them it is a bad idea over and over way in advance and they do it anyway, I've come to the conclusion that if you tell a dev something is a bad idea, they double down and say, "hold my beer". At this point, I think the better strategy is go on the forums and ask for them to do the stupidest shit possible just so they will do the opposite because they hate their customers that much.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Do they ever learn? I'm not sure there are many devs in the industry that give enough fucks to actually learn anything from other's mistakes and actually do something about it in their code.
"You think you do, but you don't"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
You’ve got rosier predictions for AoC than I do. If they don’t scale back the “lose shit when the city dies” and “lose shit when you get ganked” design, game is going to last about as long as Shadowbane. Especially if players perceive those loses are due to bugs, shitty balance, exploits, or poor network performance

NW on consoles I’m not so sure. Sure, they are going for a new audience, but the fundamental game base is remaining unchanged outside of some new player experience polish
I'm with you on that. People don't want hardcore anything anymore. AoC might last a few months, but people will leave once they realize the only way to have fun is to be on the winning team. Who is on the winning team? Not you. <- this is really bad game design.

The may try to fix it after launch, but by then it will be too late.

• 3Like

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider

After watching stupid fucking decision after stupid fucking decision get made in Everquest where the customers literally tell them it is a bad idea over and over way in advance and they do it anyway, I've come to the conclusion that if you tell a dev something is a bad idea, they double down and say, "hold my beer". At this point, I think the better strategy is go on the forums and ask for them to do the stupidest shit possible just so they will do the opposite because they hate their customers that much.

Should talk to whomever is paying the devs their salaries instead. Pretty sure those up there are making decisions and the little dev drones just do like they're told.