Whiskey

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I actually think you have a bit of an advantage in a state controlled area. PA just put it all up online for orders. What you need to do is talk to store owners find out what their delivery days are and typically when in October/November they get their allotments. They'll know about a week in advance, so show back up, confirm and take that morning off.
Believe it or not, in London it's near impossible to get a good whiskey that isn't one of the top 4 most popular and generic in the world. You have to go to a town called Soho and find specialty alcohol shops, which are not that common. And funny enough, whiskey is more expensive here despite being closer to Scotland. My local metal pub in Camden that I frequent regularly is by far the cheapest from a bar that I've seen in London for a house double whisky, and it's still over $5.50. Bushmills from the grocery store is over $32. It's rough, hard not to just buy the generic grocery store brand and try to drown yourself in your sorrows as fast as possible and hope by chance you forget the swill you're drinking. Miss TotalWine.

Everyone drinks Jameson here, and Maker's Mark is considered garbage (well, it is). My dad used to try and tell me (before I got into whisky) that Maker's Mark was one of the best high quality whiskeys for the dollar. Hilarious. I out level'd him in whisky in only 3 years of drinking whisky, sucker. I love being perceived as just any other regular cis girl yet drinking a neat double whisky wherever I am. The way people act about it is hilarious. I've only ever met other girls that drink it straight from Sweden. I can't even order a whisky without them automatically putting a spirit in despite me not asking, fucking drives me up the wall. I was doing some bartending at a famous pub called The World's End and that place charges nearly $10 for a double cheap whisky. Shit's madness.

Anyone know of any good, unique whiskey I can't get in America but might be able to order to my address in London from somewhere in Scotland? Or just overall recommendations? Wouldn't mind trying something new, and in whiskey years, 3 years still makes me a newb. I prefer Scotch, but if I drink Irish whiskey I prefer a more fruity/vanilla/caramel type sweet flavors, I don't like more than a tiny smoky taste.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Believe it or not, in London it's near impossible to get a good whiskey that isn't one of the top 4 most popular and generic in the world. You have to go to a town called Soho and find specialty alcohol shops, which are not that common. And funny enough, whiskey is more expensive here despite being closer to Scotland. My local metal pub in Camden that I frequent regularly is by far the cheapest from a bar that I've seen in London for a house double whisky, and it's still over $5.50. Bushmills from the grocery store is over $32. It's rough, hard not to just buy the generic grocery store brand and try to drown yourself in your sorrows as fast as possible and hope by chance you forget the swill you're drinking. Miss TotalWine.

Everyone drinks Jameson here, and Maker's Mark is considered garbage (well, it is). My dad used to try and tell me (before I got into whisky) that Maker's Mark was one of the best high quality whiskeys for the dollar. Hilarious. I out level'd him in whisky in only 3 years of drinking whisky, sucker. I love being perceived as just any other regular cis girl yet drinking a neat double whisky wherever I am. The way people act about it is hilarious. I've only ever met other girls that drink it straight from Sweden. I can't even order a whisky without them automatically putting a spirit in despite me not asking, fucking drives me up the wall. I was doing some bartending at a famous pub called The World's End and that place charges nearly $10 for a double cheap whisky. Shit's madness.

Anyone know of any good, unique whiskey I can't get in America but might be able to order to my address in London from somewhere in Scotland? Or just overall recommendations? Wouldn't mind trying something new, and in whiskey years, 3 years still makes me a newb. I prefer Scotch, but if I drink Irish whiskey I prefer a more fruity/vanilla/caramel type sweet flavors, I don't like more than a tiny smoky taste.
Were there robots there?

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know much about scotch, but based on what you like you should get a bottle of hakushu 12 year if you haven't. That shit is delicious.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I only drink 2 different kinds of whiskey.

2 Gingers for everyday use. $20/bottle and is great on the rocks and bonus points for the delicious Big Ginger mixed drinks you can make for the ladies.
2gingersgiftpack.png

Otherwise it's purely Glenlivet 12 year. Greatest tasting scotch I've come across and at about $30/bottle it's still cheap enough for frequent drinking.
Glenlivet_12_Y.O.-05.jpg

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Were there robots there?
I assume you're referencing the movie of the same name. No, they're unrelated, Although a fuck ton of tourists travel hundreds of miles to it though and half of the bar staff let them have their fun, while the other half laugh at them. We even got movie coasters to milk that shit, although don't really need to. It's one of the oldest and most famous pubs in London and also the largest in Europe. But no, no robots unfortunately, just the most disgusting toilets in the country and drug filled bar staff bedrooms living above the bar.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well that certainly is a downer about the robots.

On another note I personally do not care for the Glenlivit 12. The great thing about scotch is there is something for everyone.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tried the Balcones Brimstone lasts night. It's basically BBQ in a glass, super smokey but not in a peaty way. Love it.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Haven't seen it mentioned here (but may have missed it) but for a sub $30 bottle, the Evan Williams single barrel is a damn good sipping whiskey.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
cheap everyday quaffing scotch - teachers highland cream
toffee / caramel scotch - johnnie walker black. most johnnie blends are pretty good, though blue is rubbish and not worth it.
pimping peaty scotch - lagavulin, talisker
overpowering in your face scotch - laophroig for the peat, ardberg for the ethanol
honey / flora scotch - cragganmore, (hart brothers) rosebank / springbank
everyday decent - most of the mid range glens - glenmorangie, glenlivet, glenfiddich etc.

these are the most common around my area. still getting into scotch, not quite into the bourbons / ryes yet.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Was interested in the thread so went out and got some whiskey tonight. I'm primarily a vodka drinker (OJ or Ginger Ale), so straight whiskey is quite a change... Anyways, with this thread in mind I went to my local liquor store and asked him his recommendations. He started with Belle Meade, W.L. Weller, Buffalo Trace, and umm something else. He also diff a good breakdown of Ryes, Mashes, single barrel, blends. He really wanted to sell me Four Roses but they were out. And one other I can't remember. Anyways, ended up with the Belle Meade and it isn't bad. Nothing to compare it too and it is the first. Will try something else next to compare but it'll be a while to finish this.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Four Roses is pretty good stuff, I've bought it multiple times. And I know it's nothing even remotely fancy or trendy, but my easy-to-find go to whiskey is just Makers Mark. Relatively smooth and easy to drink and not overly expensive. I prefer mine with just a splash of water and maybe 1 ice cube

Tea_sl

shitlord
I really recommend Weller over Makers. I'm not a huge wheated bourbon guy though, and Makers is undeniably better. It isn't close to twice the price better though.

Never had Belle Meade, but the other two are rock solid starters. I also just realized that I have no idea what regular four roses tastes like anymore since I always buy the specific mash bills and have for years.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not a huge fan of Makers. I pretty much drink straight whiskey all the time as my common drink but I find Makers very difficult to drink.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I really recommend Weller over Makers. I'm not a huge wheated bourbon guy though, and Makers is undeniably better. It isn't close to twice the price better though.

Never had Belle Meade, but the other two are rock solid starters. I also just realized that I have no idea what regular four roses tastes like anymore since I always buy the specific mash bills and have for years.
I've enjoyed it this weekend. Guess I'm a whiskey vagina because after trying to sip a couple fingers neat I have gone to like two ice cubes. Next weekend I'll try a different bottle to try a compare and start building a profile.

Also quite a change drinking slower than my usual vodka cocktails where I can go through 750 mL in like a day and a half. Or maybe I just have a problem.

edit: okay found a bottle of Chivas 12 year or something in the back of my cabinet, must have bought it for a conference or something. This is very different. I'm hammered.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've enjoyed it this weekend. Guess I'm a whiskey vagina because after trying to sip a couple fingers neat I have gone to like two ice cubes. Next weekend I'll try a different bottle to try a compare and start building a profile.
Don't apologize. It's your liquor, drink it the way you like it. Some stuff is better with a splash of water or an ice cube. I'd be surprised if anyone likes stagg jr. neat.