Whiskey

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Vendor took me out to a whiskey bar last night and I drank a shit load of stuff...

George Stagg
Sazerac 18yr
Whistlepig 12

There were two others I can't remember. I think I'm in love.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My go to whiskey for making Old Fashioneds is Woodford Reserve.

woodford.jpg

Drinking neat is 18yr Glenlivet.

glvob.18yov1.jpg

Nicest I have ever purchased was Chivas 38yr (blended) Royal Salute.

royal-salute-38-year-old-stone-of-destiny-whisky.jpg

I'd love to get hold of a nice Macallan one day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Never had Pappy.

This year's run was pretty mediocre (as was last year, but last year's was slightly better). It seems the whispers that all current and future releases are not from the original barrel sources may be correct. The golden age of Pappy is coming to an end...

Last edited:

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Best old fashioned:

2 ounces whistle pig rye
1/2 ounce simple
4-5 dashes bitters
orange peel garnish

My favorites:
Whistle pig rye (the $70 bottle, I think 10 year?)
Smooth ambler old scout (7 year, and their rye, both were phenomenal and no longer available)
Weller 12 - amazing test
Elijah Craig 12 (and now the no age statement)
and of course High West Rendezvous Rye (everything by HW is great)

Most nights I just drink whiskey neat, but if I don't feel up to it it's in an old fashioned.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Vendor took me out to a whiskey bar last night and I drank a shit load of stuff...

George Stagg
Sazerac 18yr
Whistlepig 12

There were two others I can't remember. I think I'm in love.

Great lineup. It's unfortunate you (I, anyone) can't find the first two ever, and then people want hundreds per bottle on the secondary market. I can find Whistlepig 10 and 12 all day long on the store shelves here. I bet one day I'll wish I had hoarded it because it's so damn good.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Had some deer hunters from Kentucky last fall and they talked about when they used to buy Pappy Van Winkle for $40 a bottle before the hipsters went crazy for it. They gave me a bottle of 1792 and said it's almost as good.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Had some deer hunters from Kentucky last fall and they talked about when they used to buy Pappy Van Winkle for $40 a bottle before the hipsters went crazy for it. They gave me a bottle of 1792 and said it's almost as good.

Can't say I agree with the notion of 1792 being just as good as Pappy, but it is still a good bourbon none-the-less.

Got lucky on Friday when picking up beer that they just got a case of Weller Antique in. Don't need any more bourbon but fuck it, difficult finding any Weller outside of the cheap Special Reserve. $40 bottle of Antique will likely fetch me $200'ish in a month or so if I decide to go that route (it is great bourbon, but a bourbon worth selling instead)...

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Can't say I agree with the notion of 1792 being just as good as Pappy, but it is still a good bourbon none-the-less.

Got lucky on Friday when picking up beer that they just got a case of Weller Antique in. Don't need any more bourbon but fuck it, difficult finding any Weller outside of the cheap Special Reserve. $40 bottle of Antique will likely fetch me $200'ish in a month or so if I decide to go that route (it is great bourbon, but a bourbon worth selling instead)...

The only "pappy" that I've been able to truly appreciate is a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10, because I've been able to drink the whole thing and enjoy it ($300 on secondary market btw). I've had glasses of the other Pappy's at various bars but so rarely that I honestly can't remember the taste. I don't think ORVW10 is worth $300 so I probably won't buy another bottle. It's not better than High West Rendevous Rye or Whistle Pig or even Smooth Ambler Old Scout to justify the price. I think the 23 year pappy is going for $2200 on the secondary market? Insane.

Is OWA fetching $200 on the secondary market? Yikes! I have about 10 bottles of OWA and about 4 of Weller 12 stashed away.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kinda related, but it's insane how some alcohol rockets in price. I am a bit of a Cognac connoisseur and while in France, bought a bottle of Richard Hennessy at about 1000 Euro. Same bottle today (9 yrs later) is about $3500+. Apparently the Chinese got a taste for fine cognac and with all the new wealth over there, they obviously can't meet the demand. You can't magic up 200+ year old cognac! (the oldest age of the blend).

Basically all cognacs from XO and up the scale have tripled over the last decade.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
The only "pappy" that I've been able to truly appreciate is a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10, because I've been able to drink the whole thing and enjoy it ($300 on secondary market btw). I've had glasses of the other Pappy's at various bars but so rarely that I honestly can't remember the taste. I don't think ORVW10 is worth $300 so I probably won't buy another bottle. It's not better than High West Rendevous Rye or Whistle Pig or even Smooth Ambler Old Scout to justify the price. I think the 23 year pappy is going for $2200 on the secondary market? Insane.

Is OWA fetching $200 on the secondary market? Yikes! I have about 10 bottles of OWA and about 4 of Weller 12 stashed away.

Yup... OWA and Weller 12 fetch a good amount of $$$ in comparison to their original purchase-price. I have a few friends that basically buy yearly releases of bourbon and sell them to "rich New Yorkians" or "dumb Hollywood-money" (their words). If I were you, do the OWA + Weller 12 mix to create the Pappy-clone (it actually works).

Keep 2 bottles of Weller 12, keep 3 bottles of OWA, sell the rest and fund a vacation.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The secondary market is fueled by idiots, makers mark cask strength is a better wheater than owa or Weller 12 but people are lining up to drop $100+ on decent $20+ bottle. I saw people clamoring to buy a bottle of black maple hill no age statement for $500 which was a disappointing bottle when it cost $40. I'm convinced half these people aren't opening these things.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
The secondary market is fueled by idiots, makers mark cask strength is a better wheater than owa or Weller 12 but people are lining up to drop $100+ on decent $20+ bottle. I saw people clamoring to buy a bottle of black maple hill no age statement for $500 which was a disappointing bottle when it cost $40. I'm convinced half these people aren't opening these things.

People with more money than sense basically. There are only a few whiskeys I'd ever buy on the secondary market and even then I'm doubtful I'd actually pull the trigger. It really is crazy that people will spend thousands on Pappy.

...I'm still going to take advantage of these people either way.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to sell Diablo 2 items on eBay. I sold my WoW account for over $1,000. People are dumb.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I've said it a time or two in hear, but if you like Bourbon cheap ass rail Evan Williams is great, especially if you like a little less sweet.

Since mix drinks are being discussed, and although I almost always drink my bourbon strait, this was the best mix drink I ever had (from heartwood in seattle):

Good Medicine.

Toki Japanese Whisky, Sidetrack Shiso, Carpano Bianco, Turmeric

I just emailed em asking for the ratios

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wish Evan burned a little more. I honestly find it a bit too easy to drink.