Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Cascow_foh

shitlord
Honestly I would rather have the "shit" mechanic rocketing me past level 5 in under 30 minutes, than grinding fire beetles for the phat cash.

And I"ll take simple quests to get you familiar with your surroundings (that also help get you some gear), than hoping for some bone chips to sell so I can maybe get that 1st piece of cloth armor.

Maybe it"s just me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I have never played that race... so logging in tonight and just doing the newbie area to see what this sweet shit is about. Sounds like fun.
I can"t even remember what race I was, but I was a Bloodmage and it was a Kojani race of some sort. If that helps.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Rayne said:
Get it now?
Then somethign strange is going on, because the mobs around Jalil or whatever that island town you get dropped into do indeed drop various items for quests or selling to vendors.

Personally I think you"re just backtracking, but whatever!

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Eomer said:
Then somethign strange is going on, because the mobs around Jalil or whatever that island town you get dropped into do indeed drop various items for quests or selling to vendors.

Personally I think you"re just backtracking, but whatever!
Not at all.

I thought the quests were fine. I thought the tutorial was fine. My issue is with what happens when you deviate from the quest log. I"m trying to determine if this is intended or not. Based upon the responses here thus far, it seems as if its intended.

Lets see if I can simplify this:

Is it intended that when players put aside questing just to kill shit for a while, that NO LOOT drops from the mobs they kill?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Twobit Whore said:
While it may be better than "go kill 100 decaying skeletons and fire beetles" that some other game offers, it is far from the best newb experience in any game ever. If people really think this is the best VG has to offer, then I guess some people just have radically different tastes or expectations.
What MMO has a better starting questline than the Kojani Human/Half-Elf newb line?

I"d really like to know.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Rayne said:
Is it intended that when players put aside questing just to kill shit for a while, that NO LOOT drops from the mobs they kill?
Loot drops from mobs in VG. You could find this out by checking out the various VG databases out there. Thanks for playing.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
tad10 said:
What MMO has a better starting questline than the Kojani Human/Half-Elf newb line?

I"d really like to know.
Pretty much most of them other than the previously mentioned "go kill 1000"s of snakes and kobold runts" introduction that has been extinct for a while now.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Twobit Whore said:
Pretty much most of them other than the previously mentioned "go kill 1000"s of snakes and kobold runts" introduction that has been extinct for a while now.
No 2bit. Give me a specific fucking example of a newbie quest line in any MMO better than the Kojani human/half-elf.

You"re the one saying it sucked -- so defend your statement. Or stfu.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
tad10 said:
Loot drops from mobs in VG. You could find this out by checking out the various VG databases out there. Thanks for playing.
So you"re saying its some weird bug that nothing dropped from any of the 50ish mobs I killed? And thanks for the advice. I"m sure everyone that decides to check out VG will run right to database sites.

xmod2_foh

shitlord
Those scripted, forced events are good for single player games, not a "wide open do everything!" kind of world.

What if I don"t want to play a character that has a guilty conscience about killing peasants? What if I want to drink their blood?

Shit like this makes the game less of an RPG and more like a theme park ride. At least give an option for people who want to be evil.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I think we"ve made it clear that the mobs in the burning island Kojani newbie zone don"t drop anything AFAIK. Your purpose is to clear the quests to the next island -- lose your uber gear and then things proceed normally. The Tanvu newbie mobs will drop items though you are better off just following the quest lines to level away from the newbie zones. If you killed 50 mobs in the Tanvu newbie areas I"d be only mildly surprised that nothing dropped. Most mobs in those areas are quest mobs and have a low drop rate for non-quest items.

Generally (though there are a lot of exceptions) you have your quest mobs: always drop a quest item low chance of something else and your non-quest mobs: always drop cash loot low chance of something else.

As you are generally getting $ for your quest turn-in you are compensated for the loss of cash loot.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
xmod2 said:
Those scripted, forced events are good for single player games, not a "wide open do everything!" kind of world.

What if I don"t want to play a character that has a guilty conscience about killing peasants? What if I want to drink their blood?

Shit like this makes the game less of an RPG and more like a theme park ride. At least give an option for people who want to be evil.
Did you read the fucking post? The question was what newbie zone is better? You are telling me that newbie zones in other games are not forced and linear? GTFO.

If you"ve done the quest line before you can swim off the island and do wahtever the fuck you want.

The point is to introduce new players into the world in an interesting way and get them familiar with their class and abilities. The Kojani newbie zone does that brilliantly. Its certainly better than some of the other VG newbie zones (edit: and most other MMO newbie zones) where you just kill 10 spiders or whatever.

You guys are ridiculous.

Reggie_foh

shitlord
Jesus, how the hell do you guys fuck something this simple up?

It was just a nice "cutscene" startoff into the world. I liked it, so did my friends. It wasdifferent.

Go slip and fall on an aids dick if you have to start min/max"ing out of the gate during a cutscene andthenstart bitching about it they way you are.

Maybe you just need a deeper poopsock kid.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
xmod2 said:

QFT.

People like to complain about WoW being linear or on rails, when this is much worse.

The point is to introduce new players into the world in an interesting way and get them familiar with their class and abilities. The Kojani newbie zone does that brilliantly. Its certainly better than some of the other VG newbie zones (edit: and most other MMO newbie zones) where you just kill 10 spiders or whatever.

You guys are ridiculous.
No it doesn"t just "introduce" them to the world, it tells them exactly what they are and why they are doing it. And you still "kill 10 spiders", only they are villagers and monks and not just spiders or wolves.

Anyhow, I don"t care much. I just find it funny how people can praise something that is in essence no different than anything else, but is instead more forced and linear than most others. Set yourself free indeed.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
Some of you are still missing what Rayne says is his issue. Its AFTER the island, after he gets stripped and dumped nekkid in the small starter town. In the first area it is an intended mechanic, in the second area it is not and the second is area is where he says he is having an issue.

Wow, this thread turn into a fanboi retardfest really fast. I love how at LEAST 3 people are bashing on Rayne without even reading what he wrote. Then one person accuses him of backtracking because others missed the part where he clearly stated the he had finished the newbie island. Fantastic.

Don"t agree with him? Hey, that"s fine. But making assumptions and flaming him on them after he had already stated the complete opposite is sad. Just because he said something unfavorable your current favorite hobby doesn"t mean you have to slap on your e-thug gangster colors and throw down.

To be fair, 2bit also looked like a tool for trying to twist "That was a great newbie experience" into "That was the greatest newbie experience in any game ever."

Ironically, the only person who actually "got it" was Tad.

Guiness_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Thats not what i"m talking about at all. What i"m saying is, players should be left to thier own devices. If you want to wander off the quest path and return to it a bit later, you should be able to without penalty. You shouldn"t be penalised by a lack of loot drops because you choose to step away from questing for a while.
Alright, I can see your point there. I"ll work along the same line with you for a moment. I would personally like to be able to do diplomacy from the get go anywhere where your faction is viable, because of the fact I quickly left Kojan to catch up with guildmates in Thestra I am really not finding any diplomacy parleys available to me.

Seths_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
So you"re saying its some weird bug that nothing dropped from any of the 50ish mobs I killed? And thanks for the advice. I"m sure everyone that decides to check out VG will run right to database sites.
Yes I would say that is a bug if after 50 mobs you got nothing in either money or drops. Of course along the way of just killing things I"ve had plenty of mobs that don"t drop something but never come across a string of 50 straight that failed to drop something.

I would /bug this. Otherwise to answer your question I"ve never been forced to follow a quest chain path to get loot or money. At anytime you feel like it you can do whatever you want and still earn money and drops. Quests are just there as a way to earn faster exp and quest rewards, but there are those that prefer to grind on mobs and have gotten plenty of drops. I would say its a bug you"ve encountered.

Are the mobs you killed (the 50) all the same type? Are they different? Throw that into your bug report which mobs they were and that will help them find out if its a bug.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Then one person accuses him of backtracking because others missed the part where he clearly stated the he had finished the newbie island. Fantastic.
From what I can tell, he didn"t mention that until well after 3 separate people had commented on the newbie island issue. AFTER they had, he came back and said "oh well I was already past that!" So I stand by my backtracking comment, but don"t give enough of a shit to go back and chronologically order the quotes to prove it.