Wii U

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Last I played there was like 1500 people in the lobby, which is plenty. When it first came out there was usually 3-4k on.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Question about the Wii U's graphics playing standard Wii games.. Do both systems play the original Wii games 100% identical? It really seems that my original Wii with component (HD) video looks better than the same game on Wiii U's HDMI cable. Maybe it's that Wii U is only emulating the Wii, and isn't doing true hardware processing, or maybe I'm just imagining things. What do you guys think?

For reference, I'm currently playing Mario Galaxy 2 on my Wii U.
I don't think the Wii U is emulating either, but maybe the contrast of the 1080p text and the lower-res Wii graphics is making the Wii graphics look fuzzy and worse than it really is?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
GF got me a Wii U mario bundle for my bday, though I suspect it was more for her as she is on it non stop. Her playing on the gamepad whiIe I play my ps4 on the same t.v. guilt free is the best gift of all though!

In all seriousness, I am suprised by how much I am enjoying it so far. Simple functions like the gamepad acting as a remote and the tvii second screen shit seemed cool at a glance watching football yesterday. Functions I have no interest in and would never normaly use, but with it all sitting there a few button presses away why the heck not.

Also looking foward to picking up the new Mario and I guess Monster Hunter (though the demo was underwhelming, I can't ignore the high recommendations). Seems lame I gotta buy 2 MORE controllers just to play co-op but w/e, they seem cheap enough.

If/when I get a Vita, we can theoretically both use the remote play shit on our respective console AND watch t.v.! If I can work in pizza and b.j.'s thats gotta be that american dream thing I keep hearing about. life is good.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't think the Wii U is emulating either, but maybe the contrast of the 1080p text and the lower-res Wii graphics is making the Wii graphics look fuzzy and worse than it really is?
Right - Wii games look better on a SD TV with component cables - Wii U will upscale them to 1080p which stretches it out.

The UI and text actually look more crisp on the Wii U for some reason (just talking Xenoblade here).

Monster Hunter (though the demo was underwhelming, I can't ignore the high recommendations)
The Demo just throws you into a fight - the game ramps it up more steadily. Demo kind of sucks for bringing in new players who have never played MH game before.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So can the wii u pro controller be used to play wii games or does it have to specifically be a wii controller. Might pick up the Mario Galaxies, Kart and Smash bros as I skipped the wii entirely but always wanted to play those. I assume motion controls are a must for skyward sword but what about twilight princess? I remember that being on the GC also so I am hoping not.

Also has anyone tried that Nintendoland game? Need more easy casual GF friendly games (besides the wii games listed above, need some wii u games). I'm thinking Rayman Legends will be a slam dunk but beyond that?

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
So can the wii u pro controller be used to play wii games or does it have to specifically be a wii controller. Might pick up the Mario Galaxies, Kart and Smash bros as I skipped the wii entirely but always wanted to play those. I assume motion controls are a must for skyward sword but what about twilight princess? I remember that being on the GC also so I am hoping not.

Also has anyone tried that Nintendoland game? Need more easy casual GF friendly games (besides the wii games listed above, need some wii u games). I'm thinking Rayman Legends will be a slam dunk but beyond that?
The Wii Games will not be able to recognize what the pro controller it. It wasn't made for it. You'll have to stick with the wiimotes

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Picked up the Mario bundle from target yesterday. Really liking it so far. Something special about not having to pause your game to take a dump. I really like the option to play just on the controller.

Going to try and pick up some old school wii games on the cheap, any reconditions?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are probably the best 2 games for the system.
People like the Wii version of Zelda also.

Elebits is fun.
My wife is in love with Endless Ocean 1 & 2 (scuba diving games where you "find" sea life and like... pet seals and shit)

I had a blast with Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, but that was a Wii release game.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
My bf surprised me with the Zelda bundle Wii U for Christmas (we weren't doing presents this year!). I've been really into Zelda lately and have been playing Ocarina of Time and Link Between Worlds on my 3DS (amazing games; OoT is a 9/10, and LBW is 10.5/10), and have really been wanting to play Wind Waker. I have Phantom Hourglass and was going to get Spirit Tracks, but found out they were sequels to Wind Waker so wasn't going to play them for a long while as I wasn't planning on getting a Wii U till just before summer.

Wind Waker is amazing! He also got me the new mario, 3D World, and it is easily the best mario game I've ever played. I love the controller a lot too, and it's just really neat to switch from my tv to playing on the gamepad. My complaints are--no bluetooth (is this 1999?), very limited online play (why can't I play my mario game multiplayer online?). All in all, I really love this console right now. The only thing I'm nervous about is that they will make more stupid tennis games instead of RPGs and adventure games. Can't wait for Monolith X, and I hope they release Dragon Quest X in the US.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Has anyone bought the new Donkey Kong Country? I'm hesitant to buy it as I felt the last one was a turd.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Just picked up a Wii U for $125 on kijiji. Stoked.

Gonna grab DK: Tropical Freeze and MH3U. Any other recommendations? I never played Xenoblade Chronicles last gen. Should I?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Get a pro controller. You'll thank me later.
Is that a button responsiveness issue? Because I like the way the tablet feels in my hands. Or is it something awful like the touchscreen features actually detracting from gameplay?

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Is that a button responsiveness issue? Because I like the way the tablet feels in my hands. Or is it something awful like the touchscreen features actually detracting from gameplay?
For me it was just the Gamepad was too large. Also I heard MH3U plays better with the pro controller. I only tried it on the gamepad and disliked it quite a bit.