Wii U

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Ah okay cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Np. Personally when I tried to play the virtual console games, the gamepad was just ass because I was so used to a small SNES controller, not a huge gamepad. I didnt really have any issues with Mario U but since I bought my pro controller I never use the gamepad. Works great for DKCTF, and Mario 3d world. Also Wind Waker. Just feels better having a normal designed controller

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I like the gamepad. It's surprisingly comfortable for how large it is, but if I had a pro controller (just have Wii Remotes and the old classic controller) I would probably use it instead.

I only have two games - the 2D Mario and Wonderful 101. Wonderful 101 is a lot of fun and is a very interesting game. I just felt like a retard for the first few hours because I couldn't figure it out.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Sooooo new smash bros out this summer for the 3ds and fucking winter for Wii U!? Why even bother at this point.....

Felz_sl

shitlord
Mario Kart 8 supposed to come out in may, with 4 players on same screen (30 FPS) and 2 players (60 FPS) with online options, sure seems nice. Will help to wait for Smash Bros but winter sure seems like a while

Remit_sl

shitlord
Mario Kart 8 supposed to come out in may, with 4 players on same screen (30 FPS) and 2 players (60 FPS) with online options, sure seems nice. Will help to wait for Smash Bros but winter sure seems like a while
Thats good to hear. Now I just need a new Mario Party and Waverace U to be announced.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
For sure. I plan to play the fuck out of MK8, game looks amazing. I just cannot fathom how Nintendo can have a 7 month gap for key, console selling games a year and a half into the consoles life. I mean, I understand their emphasis is on the 3ds at this point and developers are spread thin between the two systems but cmooooon, this shit is getting embarrasing.

I would say it's going to be hot item come the holidays, but at a similar price point will be the ps4 which should have a respectable line of titles by that point.

It's a real shame the hardware can't support the 3ds as an interchangable gamepad. Sharing a game library between the two systems would put Nintendo right back in the mix.

Felz_sl

shitlord
When i look that gap, I always think (and hope) for the next Zelda (not hyrule warriors or whatever it's called). Anyway, if the few titles they release are on the same standard as Mario 3d World, it will get people to buy the console whenever they release their titles...

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
When I look at that gap I think no Zelda till NEXT summer at the very earliest and thats the worst part about it. We haven't even seen a single screenshot and presumably it hasn't started major development until after a Link between Worlds. But I do hope to hell they at least get that Dynasty warriors spinoff out before winter.

Smash bros is their next flagship baby (after MK8), hence today's Nintendo Direct.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They were working on it before Link Between Worlds (which started out as ALttP 3D remake so they probably didn't have the full Zelda team on it - most likely they were split between it and the Windwaker HD remake) - probably not full force but they mentioned it even before ALBW was announced.

Supposed to be more Skyrim-esque open world, so hopefully they take their time and get it right.

But I do hope to hell they at least get that Dynasty warriors spinoff out before winter.
Nintendo isn't making the Dynasty Warriors spinoff, just loaning out their IP.

For sure. I plan to play the fuck out of MK8, game looks amazing. I just cannot fathom how Nintendo can have a 7 month gap for key, console selling games a year and a half into the consoles life. I mean, I understand their emphasis is on the 3ds at this point and developers are spread thin between the two systems but cmooooon, this shit is getting embarrasing.
Because Nintendo is a small company divided into about 4 main teams and it takes a long ass time to make quality games? Nintendo doesn't release buggy or unpolished games. Not to mention most of their game devs spent the year leading up to the Wii U saving the 3DS (which also had a dearth of first party titles in it's first year) and making it into massive success.

Problem is they are one of like 3 companies outside of Nintendo that release stuff worth buying on the Wii U - no 3rd party support means Nintendo has to mostly carry the weight. But it's been that way since the Gamecube so no one should be surprised.

A solution to the problem is not "hire more developers to get Nintendo games out faster", that would just wreck the quality. What Nintendo has done is take in struggling and talented development studios like Monolithsoft and Platinum and fund them to make exclusive titles - but those are still on the way (X and Bayonetta 2), and they plan to do that more in the future if the opportunity presents itself.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yup, all true. I have even vocalized much of what you said earlier in this thread I believe. Still embarrasing for Nintendo though, if for nothing else than shining a spotlight on the lack of confidence in 3rd parties developing for the system. Their lack of pressence is strongly felt with huge gaps like this. But what does any of that have to do with Smash bro's comming out 6 months earlier on the 3ds? That was my whole gripe... I assume you own a 3ds so you likely don't care, but where does that leave folks like me that don't?

Also not sure why you put quotations on hiring more devs as if that was my implied solution. Instead of splitting 4 main development studios between 2 system's, every game, comming out of those studio's, needs to be cross platform.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't play my Wii U much, but I expect it to get more play time once Mario Kart comes out. Me and a friend who also has a Wii U are pumped for some online play.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
But what does any of that have to do with Smash bro's comming out 6 months earlier on the 3ds? That was my whole gripe... I assume you own a 3ds so you likely don't care, but where does that leave folks like me that don't?
I do own a 3DS but I won't be buying Smash Bros for it, to me that is a game best played on the couch with 3 other buddies.

I'm not sure on Nintendo's reason for staggering the 2 release dates - I imagine it's a simple as the 3DS version is mostly finished and the Wii U version isn't. Anyone who was going to buy the Wii U version isn't suddenly going to buy the 3DS version instead - if anything they will buy both. So maybe Nintendo is using it to build hype for the definitive version on the Wii U.

Either way, the Wii U version is definitely their system seller for this Holiday. There will be a huge marketing push for it, just like Mario Kart 8 is getting right now.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd imagine they're stagged for a reason you hit on. Nintendo owners seem to generally buy into the Nintendo ecosystem. So they want owners of a 3DS and WiiU to double dip. If they released them at the same time or if they released the WiiU prior to 3DS (which I can only assume the wiiu is the "better" product) they'd just cannibalize sales.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Smash Bros may make me buy a Wii-U, that is if Destiny isnt as good as i hope it will be.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So anyone who played Rayman Legends know how the coop works? Game looks amazing and me and my gf need a new game to play but it seems like I would be mostly helping through the touchscreen? Kinda sounds like a drag and for 40 bones I don't wanna risk it.

Only other option that we havent played would be Lego Marvel which also looks like it could be fun but she isn't really into the 3d stuff. Any thoughts?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Mario kart 8 just had a direct. 35 minutes. comes on may 30th

PR:
REDMOND, Wash.?(BUSINESS WIRE)?One month from today, Mario Kart 8 will be driving players wild with anti-gravity racing action. To get people revved up for the Wii U game, Nintendo released a new Nintendo Direct video that announced some additional news nuggets, including a Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle, a free downloadable game offer for Wii U owners who buy Mario Kart 8, details about online features, cool new characters and devastating new items.

?Everyone loves Mario Kart,? said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America?s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. ?It?s a franchise that brings people together for fun at a family gathering, a frenzied race against friends or just an afternoon break at the office. The numerous new features of Mario Kart 8 make this the most ambitious version yet, and one that will have players of all skill levels racing for the checkered flag.?

To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visithttp://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct. Some of the new information announced today included:

Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle: People who don?t yet own a Wii U system will find it easy to get in on the action. On May 30 Nintendo is releasing the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Set bundle that includes a Wii U Deluxe Set system, a Mario Kart 8 game, a red Mario Wii Wheel accessory and a red Mario Wii Remote Plus controller, all at a suggested retail price of just $329.99.

Get a Free Digital Game: People who buy Mario Kart 8 and register the game with Club Nintendo before July 31 will receive a free Nintendo eShop download code for an additional Wii U game. Players can grow their Wii U digital game collections by choosing from one of these well-received Wii U games: New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD or Wii Party U. That?s a two-for-one deal featuring some of the all-time great Wii U games. This offer also applies to people who get the game in the Mario Kart 8 bundle or digitally in the Nintendo eShop.

For Europe : click here!

Online Multiplayer: Up to 12 players can race together online in four different multiplayer modes, as long as everyone has a broadband Internet connection. Like to trash-talk your friends while you?re preparing for a race? You?re in luck! Mario Kart 8 lets players chat with one another in the lobby area using the Wii U GamePad microphone or text phrases as they wait for their friends to join. Players also can create public or private tournaments for which they specify the day of the week, the time and the rules. Per tradition, players will be able to race against ghost data from friends or even the top 10 worldwide racers. They can try to beat them or just pick up a few tips and tricks from studying the best. If you beat the development team?s ghosts, you?ll get cool stamps for use in Miiverse posts.

Mario Kart TV: As previously announced, players can watch their highlight racing reels, rewind them, play them in slow motion or upload them to Miiverse. They can watch the world?s most popular highlight reels and comment on them. But players with Google accounts can also upload their reels directly to their YouTube channels.

New Items: Items are what make Mario Kart games so balanced. No matter how skilled racers are, they?re just a blue Spiny Shell away from disaster. A well-timed item can also turn defeat into victory in an instant. The new Super Horn blows away all other items ? literally. Sounding the Super Horn issues forth a sonic shock wave that blasts away everything in the vicinity, including other drivers, Red Shells and even blue Spiny Shells. It?s a potent asset, especially for drivers trying to maintain their lead. Mario Kart 8 also introduces the Crazy Eight, a swirl of eight different items that lucky players can use one by one.

New Racers: Two new playable female characters make their debut appearances in Mario Kart 8. New heavyweight driver Pink Gold Peach glows with a golden light and makes a nice counterpart to Metal Mario. Baby Rosalina shows up for a play date with other Baby characters. As in past Mario Kart games, players can again choose to play as their Mii characters, which rounds out the field of racers to an even 30.
Day 1 for me... and i am going to get windwaker HD

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
We need to get the rerolled online championship series going on Mario Kart when it comes out!

Could be so much fun!