Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Raes

Vyemm Raider
That didn't seem like hate to me. Seemed like a valid criticism from a person's point of view. He could be wrong about it but it certainly didn't come off venomous at all, like when Raes talks about Landmark sometimes or when Ut talks about ESO. :p
My venom is non-lethal. And I typically don't bitch about games I don't like. Like, Wildstar. Don't like it. Maybe I'll try to get to level 3 tomorrow.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
My venom is non-lethal. And I typically don't bitch about games I don't like. Like, Wildstar. Don't like it. Maybe I'll try to get to level 3 tomorrow.
A couple pages back I said I'd be a sucker and buy it, but I don't think I will because I'm not really liking it either. Funny too because I'm good with stylistic graphics and I thought I'd be cool with Wildstar's look, but I actually don't even like the aesthetics and the UI seems shit. I don't think I'll get past the magical threshold where it gets good. Maybe developers should start worrying more about making a good first impression and less about "our game starts at 50."

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The Wildstar Elite Loyalist will hang you guys for not liking the game they like - your opinions are only allowed when they coincide with the masses!

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
A couple pages back I said I'd be a sucker and buy it, but I don't think I will because I'm not really liking it either. Funny too because I'm good with stylistic graphics and I thought I'd be cool with Wildstar's look, but I actually don't even like the aesthetics and the UI seems shit. I don't think I'll get past the magical threshold where it gets good. Maybe developers should start worrying more about making a good first impression and less about "our game starts at 50."
I feel just about the same. I find I spend a majority of my time playing this bitching about all the little things that are done wrong.

non-instanced quest items
overwhelming UI / Graphics style
the 1 skill
lack of arrow indicators on minimap (seriously, if you are going to hand-hold me on quests, do it right)
cheap humor (IMO)
etc... etc...

Game just feels like a parody of itself. The core gameplay seems solid, its just there were some design decisions made that really turn me off.

ymmv

iannis

Musty Nester
Try it with an engineer or esper.

Frankly, most of their classes are ass. Those 2 classes are solid though and you will get more mileage out of the game with a skillset that isn't punishing you because they had 3 different designers for each class and 5 resets.

That was just my experience with it though. It's partially a playstyle I guess. Esper/Engi are fun at level 1, and fun at level 50, and the classes change. Stalker is ok -- but it starts to ramp down a lot in the 30's. And it's pretty gimp in the 40's compared to an engi/esper.

I could never get a warrior past 15, and I could never get a medic past 20. Those shits are just fucking boring.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider

Frankly, most of their classes are ass. Those 2 classes are solid though and you will get more mileage out of the game with a skillset that isn't punishing you because they had 3 different designers for each class and 5 resets.

That was just my experience with it though. It's partially a playstyle I guess. Esper/Engi are fun at level 1, and fun at level 50, and the classes change. Stalker is ok -- but it starts to ramp down a lot in the 30's. And it's pretty gimp in the 40's compared to an engi/esper.

I could never get a warrior past 15, and I could never get a medic past 20. Those shits are just fucking boring.
Maybe thats it, I've only played medic and warrior.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The Wildstar Elite Loyalist will hang you guys for not liking the game they like - your opinions are only allowed when they coincide with the masses!
Well, it's more of a personal taste issue. While I like to take at least a small sample of every mmo that comes down the pipe, I know most aren't going to be what I am personally looking for. From what I've seen/read/played (only level 2, lol) just seems to me like it's another game trying to out-WoW WoW. That's fine if people like that. I prefer something like ArcheAge. I want more features, not streamlined, repackaged theme park. To each his own.

I will say, from the few minutes I was in, that it has a pretty decent look and feel.

DMK_sl

shitlord
It's heart breaking to know people are saying esper is great from level one. Because it was the first class I tried and i felt it was sooooo bad. Not being able to move when casting ur main spam attack. Fuck. Me. Dead.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Which is funny because I love medic and have so much fun with it.

Just goes to show no one should decide their class choice based on someone's opinion.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
At 50, esper is mid pack dps wise along with warrior. Medics, stalkers, and engineers shine. Spellslinger is last and needs a review asap to fix their dependence on 2 skills.

Those spellslingers you see at low level doing good dps are abusing an exploit that's getting patched. Then they'll go back to the bottom unless they get a boost in other places.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's heart breaking to know people are saying esper is great from level one. Because it was the first class I tried and i felt it was sooooo bad. Not being able to move when casting ur main spam attack. Fuck. Me. Dead.
ESPer is the worst class to start with. Bar none. The only thing you could do worse, would be to pair it with the scientist path... like I did with my first character.
frown.png

Radge_sl

shitlord
The Executive Producer did an AMA on Reddit a few hours ago. He got asked about most of the big issues (and a ton of stupid shit, like fucking "hair colors") and had some pretty solid replies. Seemed fairly open.
I'm Jeremy Gaffney, Executive Producer for Wildstar. AMA.

I've heard some of the threads on early levels (I hit performance elsewhere) - here is my personal take on this:
a) The tutorials work well (we've focus tested the heck out of them) for folks new to MMOs, but if you've played an MMO, they are too slow paced. b) The more skilled of the player you are, the more you want things to go "off the rails" and have more abilties/etc. in combat sooner - and more difficulty. You often hear quoted "the game kicks in at level 15" (or 20).
So our answers: Just recently we added in more powerful monsters across all levels/areas. This means that a kill quest gets more interesting - kill one huge creature, or slews of easy ones? It's your choice. We're looking to let folks opt out of the arkship levels. Not sure when that will hit, but it'll help for those who are like "yeah yeah I know".
We also look at the data for when folks drop out - believe it or not (I know everyone feels like their experience is that of everyone) there isn't a HUGE amount of data support; we have really high retention levels through 10, 15, and 20. But there are some hot spots where drop rates go up (and we work on fixing those places).
Another thing we can do better: communicate all the ways you can play. If you don't like the 6-20 experience, PVP is a great option (but we don't really highlight this in the UI) Etc. etc. Some lowbie dungeons might help the hardcore too (but aren't really in the hopper per se unless we move some items around - feedback welcome).
He also commented on the FPS issues some people are having. Supposedly it comes from them not having much Crossfire/SLI support in yet. Should be fixed in a week or two. The other issue is specific CPU chipsets don't behave well with Wildstar currently. That'll be fixed as they identify which specific chipsets are having issues.

TLDR Version:
- Dev's recognize tutorial issues. Adding a "skip tutorial" function.
- Adding "Elite" mobs to quests. Can optionally kill 2-3 tough elites to complete a quests versus kill 10 normal mobs.
- Moving around a bunch of dungeons and adventures to give more fun options at low-level. Namely, moving the moon-base quest to be much earlier.
- Dev's recognize the FPS issues that some people are having. The first fix for it should be out in a week or two.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The Executive Producer did an AMA on Reddit a few hours ago. He got asked about most of the big issues (and a ton of stupid shit, like fucking "hair colors") and had some pretty solid replies. Seemed fairly open.
I'm Jeremy Gaffney, Executive Producer for Wildstar. AMA.

He also commented on the FPS issues some people are having. Supposedly it comes from them not having much Crossfire/SLI support in yet. Should be fixed in a week or two. The other issue is specific CPU chipsets don't behave well with Wildstar currently. That'll be fixed as they identify which specific chipsets are having issues.

TLDR Version:
- Dev's recognize tutorial issues. Adding a "skip tutorial" function.
- Adding "Elite" mobs to quests. Can optionally kill 2-3 tough elites to complete a quests versus kill 10 normal mobs.
- Moving around a bunch of dungeons and adventures to give more fun options at low-level. Namely, moving the moon-base quest to be much earlier.
- Dev's recognize the FPS issues that some people are having. The first fix for it should be out in a week or two.
I don't want to hear about these bullshit solutions. I want to rage about the problems.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It still blows my mind people complain about the tutorial. That's like complaining about the tissue paper that come in your new pair of shoes.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I think contested quest objectives are the biggest issue I have with playing this. Racing a 'friendly' player to clicky objectives is just so jarring when the kill objective quests share credit, which often has you working together with ungrouped folks ala GW2.

Seems silly for this to exist in a 2014 mmo

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
It still blows my mind people complain about the tutorial. That's like complaining about the tissue paper that come in your new pair of shoes.
The forced tutorial was ass. It was one of the defining reasons i went from "im going to give this game a good shot" to "fuck this game, uninstall." They should have had an option to skip it much sooner.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like to see the size of your shoes if pulling the tissue paper takes the same time than completing Wildstar's tutorial.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't think it was that bad. Unless by tutorial you mean 1-49, then yeah it's pretty bad. The tutorial area isn't really that bad otherwise, it's fairly short and has quite a bunch of story stuff mixed in plus basic tutorial shit. Maybe it was too long but eh, it's only like 5-10mins. The fact the rest of the leveling is mostly shit too is slightly more important than the tutorial.