Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you're in a different "phase" or whatever, can't you just hit the sync to group button to meet up with each other? It's always worked for me before. /shrug
I'm speaking of when the world changes around a quest hub for story telling purposes. I tried grouping with someone and they would vanish when they got around the quest area and would reappear when they got away from it. It made mentoring useless since I couldn't see them or them me.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I'm speaking of when the world changes around a quest hub for story telling purposes. I tried grouping with someone and they would vanish when they got around the quest area and would reappear when they got away from it. It made mentoring useless since I couldn't see them or them me.
I fully understand the issue with that but consider the developer's perspective. The entire point of phasing in PVE content is to make the SINGLE player questing experience more immersive. The world changes around you based on your actions. In exchange for making the PVE content specifically designed for solo players more immersive, the developers are making the conscious decision to screw over the Teekey's of the world because because figuring out how to make phased content visible to players who have already completed the content but are mentored down is just not worth the time and effort. It is as simple as that.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I hadn't run into that, but that's just dumb. I still don't understand why game companies continue to add mechanisms that limit people from playing with their friends in an MMO. Stupid.

misery_sl

shitlord
I fully understand the issue with that but consider the developer's perspective. The entire point of phasing in PVE content is to make the SINGLE player questing experience more immersive. The world changes around you based on your actions. In exchange for making the PVE content specifically designed for solo players more immersive, the developers are making the conscious decision to screw over the Teekey's of the world because because figuring out how to make phased content visible to players who have already completed the content but are mentored down is just not worth the time and effort. It is as simple as that.
Number one complaint I heard in low level zone chats.

"Why are there so few people here? This is a high pop server."

"I don't see anyone to quest with, where is everyone?"

Etc, etc. The entire first few levels felt like a single player game to me. Not just any single player game, but a single player game with monotonous MMORPG quests. They went overboard with the phasing. In really epic quests, and maybe a few certain other occasions I can see the point. Having them around the majority of the areas and nearly every quest hub? No. Just no.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
And we all saw how successful that type of mentality worked out for TESO when devs chose their "vision" over what the players wanted/desired.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I tried this game cause its free... God it's boring. I'd rather go work in my garden then do more of this quest hub boring shit.

It looks good and runs smooth, but I really cant find the willpower to go on past level 13. Am I missing something? Is this really as shitty as it seems. Even GW2 was enjoyable enough that I played it through, but this feels like it fell so far short of even that.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Boring? There's literally more to do in this game then most others I've ever played. I dunno, I guess what is it that you're looking for in a game?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Number one complaint I heard in low level zone chats.

"Why are there so few people here? This is a high pop server."

"I don't see anyone to quest with, where is everyone?"

Etc, etc. The entire first few levels felt like a single player game to me. Not just any single player game, but a single player game with monotonous MMORPG quests. They went overboard with the phasing. In really epic quests, and maybe a few certain other occasions I can see the point. Having them around the majority of the areas and nearly every quest hub? No. Just no.
Are you just making that up? I didn't start playing until launch day so all the head start people were well already past the starter zones. The zone (Algoroc) was still packed full of players and you saw them everywhere. For any given area there were always a significant number of players in the same vicinity doing the same quest I was. Same thing in Galeras.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Boring? There's literally more to do in this game then most others I've ever played. I dunno, I guess what is it that you're looking for in a game?
Having a shit ton of quests doesn't necessarily make the game more fun. Even as a veteran MMO player I was pretty overwhelmed walking into the behemoth starting zone and getting so many quests having me go every which way. And it's not like most of the quests are particularly fun or engaging. The combat system somewhat makes up for it, but not by a lot.

The other big issue I've ran into is that if you do ANYTHING other than the quests as tasked, you'll very quickly outlevel your quests. At some early levels, a PvP win will give you nearly half a damn level. This makes the game start to drag badly, as you do quest after quest and see very little results. I've done as suggested on these forums and started to skip the Tasks and just do the Story quests. However, one issue that arises out of that is the separate Path leveling system, which you are nearly guaranteed to miss if you don't do some extra exploring in the areas that the Task quests would take you to.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
And we all saw how successful that type of mentality worked out for TESO when devs chose their "vision" over what the players wanted/desired.
TESO's phasing had absolutely nothing to do with the lack of meaningful PVP, the massive bot infestation, or the disapproval of the Veteran rank system, which were the main complaints with that game.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Having a shit ton of quests doesn't necessarily make the game more fun. Even as a veteran MMO player I was pretty overwhelmed walking into the behemoth starting zone and getting so many quests having me go every which way. And it's not like most of the quests are particularly fun or engaging. The combat system somewhat makes up for it, but not by a lot.

The other big issue I've ran into is that if you do ANYTHING other than the quests as tasked, you'll very quickly outlevel your quests. At some early levels, a PvP win will give you nearly half a damn level. This makes the game start to drag badly, as you do quest after quest and see very little results. I've done as suggested on these forums and started to skip the Tasks and just do the Story quests. However, one issue that arises out of that is the separate Path leveling system, which you are nearly guaranteed to miss if you don't do some extra exploring in the areas that the Task quests would take you to.
I'm not even necessarily talking about quests.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not even necessarily talking about quests.
I know. But if you're under level 13 (as Furry said he was) - quests are all you really know or care about.

If the low level questing experience sucks, it's bound to turn some people away, even if more fun content and features are just a few levels away.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
TESO's phasing had absolutely nothing to do with the lack of meaningful PVP, the massive bot infestation, or the disapproval of the Veteran rank system, which were the main complaints with that game.
Please remind me what happened with nameplates in PvP again?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can't get past level 13 as a veteran MMO player? Really?
I'm not sure if that comment is directed at me or Furry? I've leveled beyond 13. I was just speaking from his point of view. The low level quests aren't exactly enticing.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Once again, what does TESO's bad decision to not have nameplates have anything to do with phasing in PVE?
I like it when you play the "I'm obtuse" card in these arguments because it makes you looks like a complete idiot. The common thread is the developer thinking they know what's "best" for their player base. Limits on adding friends into your phase (TESO/Wildstar), lack of an auction house (TESO), no PvP nameplates (TESO), etc. are all developer decisions that fly in the face of what the players want/need.

Do you still not get it or are you going to continue to play dumb?

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
The low level quests aren't exactly enticing.
I don't think anyone disagrees with that, especially if you've been playing MMOs for 20 years. The reality is, though, it doesn't take very long to get past it and the quantity of activities increases significantly, which was Tarrant's point. If you like MMOs, it's really hard to believe how you can be bored in Wildstar that has launched with more content than any MMO I can remember.

It could also mean you just don't like the game, which is perfectly valid as well.

misery_sl

shitlord
Are you just making that up? I didn't start playing until launch day so all the head start people were well already past the starter zones. The zone (Algoroc) was still packed full of players and you saw them everywhere. For any given area there were always a significant number of players in the same vicinity doing the same quest I was. Same thing in Galeras.
Yes, I'm making that up, because clearly I have an agenda. It seems we had different experiences. That's not entirely unheard of in MMORPGS. I don't have any screenshots to back it up, so you can choose whether you believe my statement or not. This is my experience with both exile and dominion side, Widow (PvP) during the crazy queue times of day 2 or 3 of head start up until around one or two days ago when I suddenly lost the urge to expend any further energy on this game for the time being. I did see people, obviously, but not as many as I would expect. Not to mention, most of the characters, even the ones that acted like players, were actually NPCs running around randomly. Obviously my experience won't be the same as that of everyone else, and it's interesting to see that some people enjoy how the WS devs have implemented phasing into this game enough to post about it as much as you do. Not so sure I'd be claiming that you're in the majority though.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait you hardly saw people? Man I saw people everywhere(especially the first few zones, those were packed to the bone). It wasn't until the 30ish zone that it seemed to spread out.