Windows 10

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've taken to the approach that the ad ship has sailed. For now it is how stuf fis monetized, how these services work, and we just have to deal with it. Not that I don't use adBlock and NoScript, etc... but whenever possible I try to curate my ad experience as much as possible. Ads aren't bad as long as they aren't intrusive and full screen pop ups that take away from my overall experience. And if they are targeted and at least tangentially related to my interests they aren't bad at all. Everyone hates ads because of their shitty implementation on 90% of webpages. No idea why it is so hard, maybe because old people click on dumb shit and it generates $$ so why change it. But targeted ads could be awesome just like Selix describes.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Eventually you will. They already sell it boxed and keys for it. If you build a new computer you will.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
The other day I was on Home Depot's website looking for some blinds. Later that night on Facebook I saw an ad for the very blinds I looked at.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
The Windows 10 store won't work for me. The app opens but it only shows a window with a blue background and the store logo. I've tried resetting the store cache and running a powershell command that's supposed to help, but no luck so far.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Possibly dumb question: I've been using the virtual desktops to segregate applications and browser sessions for work and personal use. However, there are a few things (Skype, etc.) that I'd like to be able to see no matter which desktop I'm viewing. Is there any way to make this happen? Outlook shows up everywhere without problem, but when I try to launch a Skype session on one desktop with the application open in another it just snaps me to the second desktop. Ideas?

Fadaar

That guy
Upgraded to Windows 10 and it works great, except for one fucking thing: DTS does not work. What the fuck Microsoft, get your shit together and fix it. I hate that my 5.1 speakers don't work just because Microsoft decided to never fix it during beta builds.

Edit, this:DTS Connect/5.1 sound is STILL broken in Windows 10 with the latest updates : Windows10

Can't use optical for 5.1 on Realtek onboard sound. I really don't want to have to go dig out my old sound card I haven't used in years but might have to if Microsoft doesn't unbreak it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for posting that, as I was actually thinking of upgrading my HTPC first. Now? Newp.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, I was going to do my HTPC too. How long do we have to do this free upgrade? I thought it was like a year or more, but I don't want to miss it because I'm uninformed either.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I upgraded to W10 on my HTPC (Intel NUC) and seem to get 5.1 just fine. I use Kodi and audio is sent out via HDMI to my AVR.

*Edit*
Doing further reading on the issue, it seems to be driver related, not Microsoft. Mostly those using Realtek audio with complaints. You can't fault W10 for that, get up the manufacturer of your audio device for not putting out drivers.

Ironically, this was a huge issue in Vista as well. Microsoft took all the blame, while it was mostly 3rd party driver issues.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I get a big sound crackle when a game starts. I think it's Xbox app related, but I don't want to uninstall the app.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I just resisted the urge to purchase the now $99 Dell Venue 8 Pro and upgrade it to Windows 10. I'm not sure what I'd do with it that I don't already do on my iPad.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
shoe-152.gif

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Annoying issue with windows 10;
In my current PC, i had two video cards;
GTX470, used to handle physx
GT660, used as my primary

This setup worked fine in windows 7. I did an upgrade to windows 10, and win 10 gave the gtx470 a code 43 and disabled it. Fine, I'll reinstall the drivers. Same issue. I should mention when i did the uninstall, GT660 also got uninstalled..because..well im not actually sure why (driver related possibly). I then pulled both cards out, and put just the 470 in, in the same slot that my primary was in. Works fine. Ok so the card is fine (didnt test the gt660 in the slot that the gtx470 was usually in because its a slower bus and I dont want my primary card there...even if it works). Anyways, I was planning to do a clean install of windows so I went ahead and did that hoping it would also resolve the vid card issue. Nope, same issue. So I pulled the 470 out and set it aside for now. I've done some googling and I cant find anyone having this exact issue as it pertains to windows 10.

Aside from dumping my 660 in the 470s old slot to see if that makes a difference, is there anything else worth trying or should I just wait and look into it later? Having the 2nd vid card is a luxory so I'm not really too annoyed with it not being in there for now. I also plan to do a system refresh when the new intel cpus come out (currently on the x58 chipset with an i7 920..so its going on 6years old) so its possible newer hardware could also resolve this.