Windows 10

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I knew that would happen. That's hilarious. I bet in a few months theyll say all new windows licenses will be fee based.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Several companies I deal with have asked me about the new subscription on Autocad products. It sucks as of last month you can't buy a license for it only pay a subscription. What sucks one of them is a series that they discontinued 2 years ago and bought out a new company and if they do that with a subcription you're stuck retraining and learning new software.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Adobe did it and every one of their products became a big hassle to pirate/update. I expect this to be the direction most companies go in the future.

Borzak

A large number of companies I work with/for still use AutoCad 2000 for in house work. The actual drafting hasn't changed a whole lot and AutoCad 2000 was the last edition you could get a server license.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just what I want another monthly bill...not. Games is the only reason I use Windows. Hopefully Vulkan takes over the world and DirectX dies off so I have some glimmer of hope of moving over to Linux.

Borzak

Maybe they're just cheap. Software costs money to dev.
Well the Autodesk stuff is subscription only and it only goes back 3 years. You can only get a deal for this years release for 3 years. The problem is they release a new version every year and they change small stuff that nobody ueses. In the last 6 years they have changed the input/menu system 3 times and reverted it back twice. From menus, the ribbon, one other I forgot, then menus again, and finally back to the ribbon. Each time you automatically get upgraded now you have people dicking around to relear something that does the same exact thing they knew how to do already. They really should split the product into two, but they keep adding more and more bulk stuff to it that almsot nobody uses.

Their steel detailing package they bought a company and incorperated it into AutoDesk. People bought it and were traning on it, it was just getting some kind of widespread use. Then they dumped development and bought another company. Now they released a new product to do the same thing. If the previous one had been subscription what then? You're stuck with a product you can't get a subscription to that you trained on and spent time/energy on? Nobody is doing the subscription for the new one and they are already talking about yanking it because of that. People "might" buy it if they thought they could at least use the license for 5 years or more if AutoDesk dropped it, if they found it useful. Nobody willing to take that chance now.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
If one is not part of the solution there's good money to be made prolonging the problem. Part of the reason I got out of IT and into health.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is Raster Design a separate license in 2017? Cant find the shit anywhere on the site.

Borzak

I dunno. I saw the list of stuff that was subsciption only now a month ago. It listed all the big stuff like autocad, revit, inventor and all. Don't remember raser design and didn't look into it since it's part of the AutoCad package that I bought in 2016 design studio or whatever they call it. I use it every so often with drawings that are 30 years old to get them into autocad as a base.

But the biggest issue is they have now. There's only so much stuff you do in a 2d or even 3d drawing/design environment but they keep coming out with a new version every 12 months. It's to the point at least in my industry when people send drawings between offices and other companies they save it in autocad 2000 format to ensure everyone down the line can open it. No need to upgrade every year for a lot of these places and I'm guessing that has been the biggest money stream issue.

When you go to the autodesk site it just has reaster design doesn't list a year relase and if you click buy it says a year subscription at $1260 with no reference to raster design 2016 or 2017. Just a subscription.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I dunno. I saw the list of stuff that was subsciption only now a month ago. It listed all the big stuff like autocad, revit, inventor and all. Don't remember raser design and didn't look into it since it's part of the AutoCad package that I bought in 2016 design studio or whatever they call it. I use it every so often with drawings that are 30 years old to get them into autocad as a base.

But the biggest issue is they have now. There's only so much stuff you do in a 2d or even 3d drawing/design environment but they keep coming out with a new version every 12 months. It's to the point at least in my industry when people send drawings between offices and other companies they save it in autocad 2000 format to ensure everyone down the line can open it. No need to upgrade every year for a lot of these places and I'm guessing that has been the biggest money stream issue.

When you go to the autodesk site it just has reaster design doesn't list a year relase and if you click buy it says a year subscription at $1260 with no reference to raster design 2016 or 2017. Just a subscription.
We upgraded from 2008 because the version we had didnt work on 64bit OS.

Borzak

I still think AutoCad doesn't take advantage of having multiple cores. It's single core or whatever they call it only.

My dad still uses autocad r.12. Not autocad 2012, but autocad 12 from 1992 or so. He likes that the menu hasn't changed and uses a digitizer so he never uses an oncreen menu and the steel software he uses is much better than any of the new stuff but the stuff was abandoned when the author died. He makes a PDF and sends it and nobody knows the difference. He doesn't have to screw around with all the stuff they have added that doesn't affect most of the people using it.

Eventually the grandson of the guy who had the rights of the steel stuff hired somone to upgrade the routines to run in new software and is now selling it..for $20k.

Here's an example I ripped from the net. This would take < 5 minutes to input the dimensions for the stair and handrail and the program spits out the details and it's right every time. Huge time saver even compared to stuff that runs now at $250k for a license. I just ask questions and no actual drawing.

stair_and_rail_sheet.JPG

Borzak

Sorry I derailed the windows 10 thread. I just don't see the appeal a subscription on an OS would be to even an enterprise use. I mean if you use the computer you gotta have it and the cost of the OS is normally just put in with the build of the computer I'm guessing. At least in small businesses it is. I just don't see it, or understand it.

Also microsoft had a release this week they are adding a real time closed caption translation from a foreign language into skype for business. Sounds interesting if it works, they should push that and not the windows crap.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
^ Yup, imagine once they feel they are at "windows 11" level they will simple rename it to just Windows and now you pay monthly.