Windows 10

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'll switch to chrome book or Linux with zero fucks given. With android apps on chrome book that platform will only improve.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So ASRock doesn't support my motherboard, as I found this out when I upgraded to Win 10, then tried to update the BIOS, and almost bricked my machine. Had a few posts in the Computer Issues thread about it, but anyway, Win 10 has a bug, unsure if graphical or actual, where my CPU is pegged at 100% no matter what is going on.

But the free Upgrade ends soon? I imagine I'll be able to pick up a copy of Win 10 off reddit microsoft swap pretty cheap if it comes down to me upgrading?

This bugs me, and no way I can convince the wife that my motherboard is bad so I might as well refresh my whole system...

jeydax

Death and Taxes
...and no way I can convince the wife that my motherboard is bad so I might as well refresh my whole system...
Not with that attitude you can't!

(in all seriousness, yes you'll be able to get a copy of 10 on Reddit's MS Swap... or just use your current key if you already upgraded, pretty sure it'll work on a new mobo but I haven't tried it).

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man, wife and I got identical pc's ~3 years ago. I did the free update on mine awhile back, but not all my drivers were supported yet, so I reverted. Got around to reinstalling it a couple months back and no more driver issues. Wife last week asks if she should do her free upgrade since it ends this week and I say sure, I upgraded mine and had no problems. She set it up to run overnight and the fucking thing crashed for some unknown reason in the middle of swapping over and corrupted a bunch of windows files, including windows system recovery. Go to windows to make a boot cd, enter the windows key on the pc and windows says they can't give it to you because it was pre-installed by the manufacturer. Man, what the fuck does it matter if it was pre-installed, it is a legit version of windows is it not? Fuck!

So yeah, free windows 10 upgrade causing us to format the pc and making it difficult to do so.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
<insert 100 pages of bitchfest from the old forums here>

And now, back to your regularly scheduled bitching about Windows 10:

Oh, man, am I ever pissed off right now. I didn't update my laptop fast enough and the version of Win10 on it is too old to boot. Just tells me that it can't verify the digital signature on winload.exe, no way out, and I have files on this thing I need to get back. So aggravating. I hadn't rebooted it in a long time so I had no idea.

The very idea that the OS expires without giving you a way out is garbage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anniversary update is breaking a ton of fucking Group policies I have in place for screen locking.

ITS FUN!

• 1Like

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yup. Seems to have fucked up G-Sync for me too. Awesome... playing games like its 2012 now. Wtf.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anniversary update is breaking a ton of fucking Group policies I have in place for screen locking.

ITS FUN!

Really? We've updated about 5 computers to the anniversary edition on our network and haven't seen any issues with desktop locking or screen saver timeouts. What are you seeing? So far, it's mostly cosmetic improvements I've noticed besides the updates to Windows Defender. So far so good here.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Did that before I'd even posted, still f'd up. Nvidia will update their drivers and all will be right in the world.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The anniversary edition slowed down my internet speeds dramatically on my laptop. All the advice on the internet said to disable auto tuning but that really lowers speeds. The correct fix is to disable windows heuristics. That worked for me. Let me know if you need a cmd line fix for this if you are plagued by this.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
The anniversary edition slowed down my internet speeds dramatically on my laptop. All the advice on the internet said to disable auto tuning but that really lowers speeds. The correct fix is to disable windows heuristics. That worked for me. Let me know if you need a cmd line fix for this if you are plagued by this.

Was interested enough to Google this and found:
How Windows is Killing Internet Download Speeds

Auto-tuning was set to normal and heuristics was already disabled on my Win10 machine, and I wasn't having any problems anyway, but thanks for the heads up!

(p.s. Yay, first post in the new home, like it a lot!)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users