Windows 10

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There's a known bug with dual video processors and just a single monitor(effects a lot of laptops)

If you have two video cards(onboard Intel + AMD/Nvidia), Win 10 thinks you also have two monitors, and occasionally when you boot up, you get a blank screen for a minute or two because Windows 10 is trying to display your desktop on the phantom 2nd monitor. It eventually fixes itself, just makes boot times much longer than need be. It's a known issue and will hopefully be patched soon. It's happening to my wifes laptop(Intel CPU/gpu + AMD mobile GPU) every time it reboots.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You're gonna have to pry win7 away from my previous grasp of winXP, on my business/home computer. I'mma gonna upgrade the htpc if theres time this weekend tho, just b/c.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So one last correction you do need to remake your junctions in Windows 10. Apparently it automagically makes some apps work without updating the junction (Office, itunes, etc.) but not others. It didn't find Steam, Utorrent and Plex so I had to redo the junctions and now everything is working great. In case anyone has to go through this in the future. Also AudioSwitch 2.1.1.0 is awesome for anyone who switches between a headset and speakers regularly.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So one last correction you do need to remake your junctions in Windows 10. Apparently it automagically makes some apps work without updating the junction (Office, itunes, etc.) but not others. It didn't find Steam, Utorrent and Plex so I had to redo the junctions and now everything is working great. In case anyone has to go through this in the future. Also AudioSwitch 2.1.1.0 is awesome for anyone who switches between a headset and speakers regularly.
Steam and Plex both worked 100% fine for me after the upgrade from 8.1 to 10, didn't have to touch either one of those programs. My Plex server was up and running and functional upon the first boot into Win 10

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Steam and Plex both worked 100% fine for me after the upgrade from 8.1 to 10, didn't have to touch either one of those programs. My Plex server was up and running and functional upon the first boot into Win 10
Selix has his system complicated on multiple drives is the issue.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My sound goes out occasionally and if I play a video when it's out, the video stutters. Rebooting fixes, but I can't figure out what's causing it. It's happening at least once a day at this point.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
It's whatever Windows put in there. I use Slim Drivers and it shows nothing to update. I'll test with the actual drivers from ASUS.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
That's not what I mean, there's actually 6 pixels at the top and bottom corners between monitors that block your mouse cursor from moving to the next monitor. I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but they should be shot.
This doesn't happen to me with 3x 1920x1080 and nVidia Surround. This may be because nV Surround makes all three monitors one large "screen". I have seen this before, but it was always adjustable (and annoying, yes). Have they removed the ability to natively adjust where the monitors meet in Win10?

Edit: To clarify, I mean without the nVidia or AMD control panels.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You're gonna have to pry win7 away from my previous grasp of winXP, on my business/home computer. I'mma gonna upgrade the htpc if theres time this weekend tho, just b/c.
... why?

No, really. Why stick with Win7 over Win10? Is it because you're afraid of change, or because everything is running Just So and you're worried about breathing around your PC in case the change in air flow starts a chain reaction? I mean, I get why my dad doesn't want to switch away from XP, but he's nearly 70. He's stuck in his ways. That's not something I usually expect to see from someone on RR.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Put me in the camp of if it ain't broke don't fix it. I still haven't seen a well defined answer why someone "needs" to upgrade. What is the major improvement other than it's new. Lots of people use a computer everyday without a lot of the stuff mentioned here, social media etc...

I have it on a dual boot now, but to go to it 100% I would need a "because X works on it and not what you have now".

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I like new tech and software. I enjoy being an early adopter in both. For vital, work-related things, I would agree with "if it ain't broke". For my personal use, though, I like trying and learning new shit.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
That's fair. It doesn't work for the XP folks, though. XP is absolutely broken. I've seen the long-term maintenance patches that we get at work (only because we pay a stupid amount of money for post-EOL XP support) and it's not pretty how unpatched the world's XP systems are now. Same with Server 2003. No one should be running anything that old at this point. I don't know if anyone's leaked those patches to the Internet yet (I'd assume yes). I know that we aren't allowed to take them off site.

Windows 7 is good for a while yet, so no reason to slam on the brakes, but why not take a look around and start paying attention to the road signs?

Borzak

I like new tech and software. I enjoy being an early adopter in both. For vital, work-related things, I would agree with "if it ain't broke". For my personal use, though, I like trying and learning new shit.
Yeah I mix both. Thru the years I was doing drafting and design work I used my personal computer as my work computer. Doens't help I was tied to a LISP program in AutoCad that was written to run on AutoCad 12 (not 2012) and paying someone to fix it just wasn't worth it. Cheaper to just keep a computer up and running to use it, that one was a separate computer and everyone I knew did the same thing.

The guy who wrote it died and it was used by everyone in my tiny little sector of the industry. Eventually a guy bought it who was fresh out of college in IT I guess. I bought it, went back to the old version like everyone else. Guy was "ok" at fixing the code but he didn't know what he was fixing and what the output was supposed to look like or be. Last I heard he had that company up for sale. If you had an issue with what the program did you couldn't have a converation with him becuase he only made it "work" but was useless basically and he would argue with you. I contracted with 3 companies and he told all 3 of them they really didn't have a clue lol, and they had used it for 20 years.

Borzak

You see a LOT of computers in manufacturing and even plants sites in the petro chemical field that are very old desktops controlling an entire process. You walk into a control room and they have state of the art displays for instrumentation. But the computer there controlling the actual process is running ME or XP or somthing.

There's a lot goes on in those places that people would be shocked at, reason number one you aren't allowed a camera even on your phone. Very little is automated. An operator sits at a control desk and reads instrumentation and radios someone to turn the valve. Not very automated.

An Amiga is kind of a stretch, but I guess being a school kind of explains it.

I ordered some state of art equipment today. A pci card with a parallel port.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm on 8.1 with classic shell and I couldn't be half assed to upgrade right now. I have dual video cards on my Asus gaming laptop and that is still broken last I checked but regardless of that I have no real reason to upgrade. I got over the "OMG ITS NEW I MUST DOWNLOAD IT" many years ago.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Upgraded from Win 7 today. For some reason Win 10 would recognize my wifi network but not connect successfully until I rebooted a couple times. Chrome also failed to launch from the taskbar shortcut until I deleted a registry key. Now all is well. An initial 30 minutes of hassle, but that's fairly painless for an OS upgrade.

Also, for those of you that upgraded and are going to stay that way, make sure to run the disk cleanup app to clear out the ~15GB taken up by the Win 7 restore files.

Morbeas

Silver Squire
Ok, I just upgraded to Windows 10 but I did a clean install. Apparently what I was supposed to do was do an upgrade first and then do a clean install (what an idiotic upgrade path!) so now my machine will not activate. Is there a fix for this?