Windows 10

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Upgrade went well. I'd say the biggest flaw was it doesn't just tell you to 'hold on' while it finds all the drivers and sources/installs them - shit just doesn't work randomly for 10-20 minutes and then it does.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Upgrade went well. I'd say the biggest flaw was it doesn't just tell you to 'hold on' while it finds all the drivers and sources/installs them - shit just doesn't work randomly for 10-20 minutes and then it does.
Sorta like apple?

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, I just upgraded to Windows 10 but I did a clean install. Apparently what I was supposed to do was do an upgrade first and then do a clean install (what an idiotic upgrade path!) so now my machine will not activate. Is there a fix for this?
Not 100% sure if it works in 10 but on 7 I would choose activate by phone and call in. Did it probably half a dozen times across as many machines and never had an issue.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Give you the option to enter a valid license? Get one off reddit for a fraction of the cost. I had to get a new windows 7 license and upgrade on a dual boot. I got it from the company, but I looked around. A windows 7 pro key was $20 and a windows 10 I want to say $45.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
One nice thing I noticed upgrading from Windows 7 is that all the sudden I had an extra 20GB on my SSD that was almost full. The Windows 10 install must be significantly smaller than Windows 7.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
You know Windows has been sending diagnostic information through action center for a really long time, right?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Aww, don't tell them that. The sudden onset of paranoia is fun to watch.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
One nice thing I noticed upgrading from Windows 7 is that all the sudden I had an extra 20GB on my SSD that was almost full. The Windows 10 install must be significantly smaller than Windows 7.
Sounds more like the winsxs got cleaned up. IE every time you install a new version of video card drivers that folder grows by 200x permanently, keeping a version of each driver package you have installed. So if you are diligent at keeping everything up to date all the time that folder gets huge.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok, I just upgraded to Windows 10 but I did a clean install. Apparently what I was supposed to do was do an upgrade first and then do a clean install (what an idiotic upgrade path!) so now my machine will not activate. Is there a fix for this?
So you chose not to upgrade (clean install) and you're complaining about theupgrade path?

Borzak

Yes and? I fail to see your point.
I haven't delved into it, but from what I just glanced at Windows 10 now has the ability to collect stuff from your other applications like word and anything you type on the computer. They market it as collected data about the way you type to help you get ads and "experience" targeted to you.

So while your searches have been saved by say google, now they're going to MS as well plus whatever you type in a letter or email. If what I read was right.

I can see it as a MS play against all the shit google and facebook collect for a variety of reasons including money obviously.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm one of those people who wishes they would take more of my info so I could actually get good targeted ads.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, I honestly don't have a problem with them provided they are at command not all over my screen and popping up everywhere. I think my annoyance from ads came from an era where they shat up the TV channel randomly based upon shit you wouldn't even fathom watching. I'm OK seeing stuff on Amazon that pops up and stuff like that. It's rarely mind-boggling stuff but sometimes you see things come on sale/events/etc. that are interesting.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I don't have cable, don't listen to the radio, and use adblocking on all my devices. The only ads I see these days are billboards. If I want/need something I'll go looking for it. I don't need third parties collecting all my info and selling it off to serve me ads.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea but I'm talking about 'ad' services you seek out, like on Amazon and such. I guess the same thing with Netflix when it sends you info on a new movie in a category you watch often and the like. Those are still 'ads' really even if it is 'inside' sales.

Borzak

I guess my biggest issue is I pay for an OS to be an OS. Not to use me to make money by selling what I do at home for ads. Search engines do it, but I'm not paying for google.

I also don't like them pulling it out of something I write locally like a letter etc...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I guess my biggest issue is I pay for an OS to be an OS. Not to use me to make money by selling what I do at home for ads. Search engines do it, but I'm not paying for google.

I also don't like them pulling it out of something I write locally like a letter etc...
Actually, youdidn'tpay for WIN10 so...
biggrin.png

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't have cable, don't listen to the radio, and use adblocking on all my devices. The only ads I see these days are billboards. If I want/need something I'll go looking for it. I don't need third parties collecting all my info and selling it off to serve me ads.
Occasionally.. Rarely an ad service actually gets it right and shows me something I would be interested in. A movie I didn't know was coming out. A book I forgot about or didn't know about. A device to improve my QOL. It's like when you know you like xx books and want some recommendations. After you have exhausted your friends and your usual sources it would be really useful to have a site that could match you up with more books that match your tastes or possibly introduce you to books in entirely different genres that you didn't think to consider but now love!

When these types of services work right it's magic but well they mostly just tell me what I've already bought...