Witcher 3

Caliane

Is it sad that I watched that trailer and all I was thinking was "hmm, i really rather play a Disgaea game".....something is broke within me but I just don't enjoy first person games no matter how amazing they look. I tried Witcher 2 and was extremely impressed but I still didn't make it far in....I switched some some horribly produced JRPG on the psp at the time or something that let me build a team and slew the dragon with horrible graphics and a poor story but something just draws me to those games instead of these AAA's. Damn me, damn me to hell!
I'd say no, not really.
First, I'll qualify it as an older gamer. I've been playing all forms of rpgs since Castle/Rogue/Ultima:exodus, and the like.
Rpg's have changed. And some genres have all but vanished. or morphed to the point, major elements are missing.

Like, when is the last time you've seen an Ultima:The Black Gate?
Even Baldurs gate's iso. Moved to Neverwinter, NWN2. going in that 3rd person camera. the format, and game content shifted. Now we have the mmo Neverwinter.. And Dragon Age did the same thing obviously. Marketed as a spiritual successor to BG. Pc version of first one did have isometric.. but the game itself was hardly a successor,(even if it was a pretty decent game.) DA2 and upcoming 3, completely abandoned the genre.
(Divinity:Original sin is our next big hope for that style.)

I love Skyrim. But its not dragonwarrior/quest. Its an entirely different genre.

Indie gaming is of course great for this.
We have M&M X, Grimrock 1 and upcoming 2 for that genre.
There ARE jrpg clones, as well as Ultima like games on steam and gog. I bet there are a good number of older ones you missed, and can go back and play.
Theres always RPGmaker too.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I've never even heard of Grimrock. That Grimrock 2 looks pretty good.

One of the first RPGs I played was Dragon Wars, but there are a lot of elements of that game that begged for walkthroughs and maps. The game should be more intuitive and assistive. I don't want a linear hallway, but I wouldn't mind the game building my maps for me rather than needing a pad of grid paper.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Grimrock should be on sale on steam this weekend or so, it'll probably be like 1 or 2 bucks, definitely grab it, it's not that long but it's a pretty fun game imo. Or you can grab the torrent to see if you like it. Definitely looking forward to Grimrock 2 which is many times improved on the first one now that they actually have money.

On map building and stuff, one I've heard good things about is Etrian Oddyssey on DS/3DS. You have an autogenerated map of where you walk but you need to add various stuff like doors, chests, bosses, and walls most importantly, you do that via the DS stylus support shit so it's very well done. I'll definitely grab the game whenever I finally decide to buy a 3DS. Wish they did sales here in europe for them, I always see it being sold for less as part as US promotions but it never goes down over here it seems.

Caliane

we have a jrpg thread somewhere right?
should go look for it. update it and the indie thread too.

Extra credits dude recommended Last Dream as an oldschool jrpg in the style of FF/Dragonwarrier. haven't tried it myself.
Theres south park of course.
Ni no Kuni getting rave reviews on the ps3.
Xenoblade X on the wii upcoming. but also seems to be a bit more 3rd person, and less classic rpg.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm I'll see if Last Dream goes on sale, there's a ton of these games but I guess this one has pretty good critics on metacritic so might not be so bad, it's a 50%off atm will wait to see if there's a daily/flash though for like 60-75%.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ni No Kuni is so good when you get past the stupid shit (hand holding). Although they hold your hand until the bitter end, you start to phase it out.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently a bunch of design documents including the plot outline leaked due to a hacked producers google drive account. Going to be tough not running into spoilers during the rest of the year =(

What a bummer. Just why would someone want to go through the trouble of hacking an account to spoil an amazing game is beyond me.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FYI: I just got an email from Amazon that more Collector's Editions are available, and I was able to pre-order.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Apparently a bunch of design documents including the plot outline leaked due to a hacked producers google drive account. Going to be tough not running into spoilers during the rest of the year =(

What a bummer. Just why would someone want to go through the trouble of hacking an account to spoil an amazing game is beyond me.
Ive tried to keep my head down because of this. Im just trying to rationalize spending the money Ill need to upgrade my PC enough to play this on Ultra, or just say f'k it and buy a XBone.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There's only one platform for Witcher 3, they also have the nice habit of releasing free DLC and enhanced editions with mod tools, so it's a no brainer.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just started playing The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition on Steam. I had been putting it off for a while because I wanted to play the first, but I just couldn't get into the first game. I finally said fuck it and read the plot on Wiki for the first one and then started part 2. I am loving this game. It's so much better than the first. Any suggestions on mods for a first-time play that won't cheapen the experience? I did put in the 'no weight' mod, as having to juggle inventory was too annoying. Other than that, I'm playing without any mods.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There's the combat revamp from one of the devs, but that's about it I think. You might want to crank up the difficulty with it, because normal is a bit too easy.

spronk

FPS noob
looks like microsoft bought an xbox exclusive cloth map for their CE

witcher_3_collectors_xb1.jpg

vs ps4/pc CE

81r86fR9GiL._SL1500_.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
People may be drooling over Bloodborne but this still looks infinitely more appealing, cant wait.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Looks really good. I hope more games decided to take the open world (Skyrim / Fallout) style approach. Hope they can get the frame rate up some, saw some slow downs but it looks like it has tons of potential. Can't wait to play it.