Wizardhawk's memorial thread (a cautionary tale of dental care and garlic)

So I woke up this morning with a big ole swollen bump on my bottom gum near my wisdom tooth/molar (both of which have needed to be removed for a while). Pretty sure it's an infection because it's not a canker sore. Thing is, I don't have $600+ to just go hand a dentist at the moment to get the teeth pulled etc. (otherwise I would've done it before). Will just using mouthwash and taking some amoxicillin/penicillin clear it up in a day or two or is that just something to do to get by for a day or two before having them pulled?

Edit: Should I pop it with a needle or something in the meantime?
you need a root canal or the tooth pulled. temporarily you can go and have the puss drained

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Trap sprung!
Obviously falsified, Economist is British and therefore biased.

But seriously Economist, SHOW CANADA IN YOUR FUCKING GRAPHS. You have at least 8 other countries on that list with less people. Bugs the shit out of me how the Economist almost never has Canada on it's graphs, even when there's 20 countries, despite it being the 11th largest economy on the planet. Get your shit sorted out Economist!

lower case g

Lord Nagafen Raider
Obviously falsified, Economist is British and therefore biased.

But seriously Economist, SHOW CANADA IN YOUR FUCKING GRAPHS. You have at least 8 other countries on that list with less people. Bugs the shit out of me how the Economist almost never has Canada on it's graphs, even when there's 20 countries, despite it being the 11th largest economy on the planet. Get your shit sorted out Economist!
Maybe they are counting Canada as still being part of the UK? That would skew the numbers and make the UK look better than it actually is!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maple trees and beavers don't count as population for them is the more likely reason.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Holy shit how did I miss this gem. Garlic? That shit is fucking classic.

Ahahhaaaa!

Some mod should consolidate all of Lumies posts in one section somwhere so we can have some entertainment.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No way. Half the fun is the hunt and being surprised at which threads he posts in and why.

iannis

Musty Nester
Using garlic to treat an infection is not as stupid as it sounds.

It is WAY WAY WAY fucking stupid when compared to using an antibiotic to treat an infection. But compared to using nothing to treat an infection it's not.

That has its roots in a folk remedy. It is slightly more effective than doing nothing. Powdered red pepper is better, at any rate.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It isn't really funny at all when you consider people die from using bullshit alternative medicine instead of proven real medicine.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Imagine, the black plague could of been prevented if only they knew about garlic. Damn.

iannis

Musty Nester
Garlic for cancer? I thought Lumie was talking about garlic oil for a bad tooth. Garlic won't cause any damage. It won't do very much good but it won't do any harm either. There are worse remedies for an abscess is what I was talking about.

If it was cancer then yeah, garlic for cancer is 500 kinds of stupid.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
wouldnt this be an acceptable time to gargle a mixture of peroxide/alcohol/listerine?

Though you might wanna be careful on the peroxide/alcohol combo, they use that as rocket fuel.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Well, pretty sure a rocket going off in your mouth would kill off any bacteria you had up in there.

Also, pretty disappointed at the google results for rocket in the mouth.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Imagine, the black plague could of been prevented if only they knew about garlic. Damn.
Actually you mother fucking retard, people who were found to not be infected by the plague actually used onions and garlic. Why the fuck do you think it's always been associated with warding off bad spirits? Because disease was "bad spirits" back then because nobody knew what the fuck microscopic bacteria was. Garlic and onions have insanely powerful antiseptic properties. This is a god damn fact you complete fucking retarded waste of god damn life.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Garlic for cancer? I thought Lumie was talking about garlic oil for a bad tooth. Garlic won't cause any damage. It won't do very much good but it won't do any harm either. There are worse remedies for an abscess is what I was talking about.

If it was cancer then yeah, garlic for cancer is 500 kinds of stupid.
Again I know you have fucking down syndrome of another level but not only is it "slightly better than doing nothing" it's actually a whole fucking lot better than doing nothing. I had the same exact fucking thing as Wizardhawk just about. I was in excruciating pain from the abscess. I literally did nothing but what the fuck I said to do and I am completely cured and it's been over 5 fucking years. It's a god damn cure. It's a mother fucking fact. Get a fucking clue you dumb fucking piece of shit.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
There is no way, without examining him, for you to know exactly what is going on with his teeth.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I know you're being all sarcastic and stuff but that was actually something some people did.

Four Thieves Vinegar is a concoction of vinegar (either from red wine, white wine, cider, or distilled white) infused with herbs, spices or garlic that was believed to protect users from the plague.
~
This specific vinegar composition is said to have been used during Black Plague time to prevent the catching of this dreaded disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00911-0085.pdf
French priests consumed liberal quantities of garlic during the bubonic plague and had a much higher survival rate than their English counterparts.
apparently garlic does fight cancer as well
Immune System Modulation
Garlic may be a potent, nonspecific biologic response
modifier. This was dramatically shown in mice
implanted with transitional-cell carcinoma that were
treated by intralesional and systemic administration
of garlic.6 The reduction and destruction of tumor
mass were proportional to the dosage and length of
administration. Microscopically, garlic enhanced
macrophage activity and cytotoxic T-cell necrosis in
these tumors regardless of intralesional or systemic
administration. The phagocytic activity of peritoneal