Woodworking

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
A classic double inside taper on the legs will make them look a lot more refined. It's cake on the table saw with a simple jig.

View attachment 527482
"Inside taper" meaning, literally, the taper goes to the inside of the table. Right?

On a different note, I bought a new drill press last week. I bought my old one at a pawn shop and it sucks ass. The new one isn't top of the line or anything, but it's a fairly nice Bosch setup.

I'm convinced. I'll stop buying shitty tools now. I think my $110 router table is going to be the next replacement.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm looking for something like this, but (lightly) self adhesive. I can't find any on Amazon though. Anyone able to help? Just looking for something to protect the finish a bit when I'm working in the shop. Lanx Lanx

Screenshot_20240505-092146.png

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I taper my table legs like I like my women, skinny at the top, wide at the bottom

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
INSIDE....The taper goes to the inside of the table, correct? Not the outside?

Yes.
1715366366888.png

Yes inside, it would look silly if faced out.

I did a small outside taper on a stand and bench I made for my kids' keyboard. I don't think it looks terrible, but it did narrow the base slightly and make them more tippy than they needed to be. I'd do it the other way if making them again.

1715366406520.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can anyone recommend any sort of vice or jig for drilling the end of table legs? Just going to clamp to the table and spin the top of the drill to do it on the current project, but figured I'd ask.

I'm going to drill holes for threaded inserts for leveling feet, but wanted to try using a paddle bit to make it recessed a little bit too.

Edit:

And this is the taper I'm going to try. (Don't give me shit about the mess or vice install. I'm tearing apart the garage and just needed something quick)
PXL_20240511_155123156.jpg

Started pouring resin to set the map in the slab
PXL_20240511_151507801.jpg

And who was it that recommended wall control last year? Finally getting around to putting them up. I'm getting sprinklers out in and had to clear a spot for the controller, so I figured it was a good time to rip the cabinets off the wall and start putting these up. Garage is a disaster right now.
PXL_20240512_002415314.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Can anyone recommend any sort of vice or jig for drilling the end of table legs? Just going to clamp to the table and spin the top of the drill to do it on the current project, but figured I'd ask.

I'm going to drill holes for threaded inserts for leveling feet, but wanted to try using a paddle bit to make it recessed a little bit too.

Edit:

And this is the taper I'm going to try. (Don't give me shit about the mess or vice install. I'm tearing apart the garage and just needed something quick)
View attachment 528557

Started pouring resin to set the map in the slab
View attachment 528559

And who was it that recommended wall control last year? Finally getting around to putting them up. I'm getting sprinklers out in and had to clear a spot for the controller, so I figured it was a good time to rip the cabinets off the wall and start putting these up. Garage is a disaster right now.
View attachment 528558

My uneducated comments are below and mostly just ramblings. So not meaning to preach to you stuff you already know…

I don’t know what you mean by jig to drill in to the leg. Your skill is way beyond needing something to drill a hole in the bottom of a square. I’m sure they make them but I can’t think of it being like cabinet door hinges and some of those jigs. That vice would work fine how you have it if you don’t have a mozon vice or another one to all it to drop all the way down. You could clamp it horizontal on the table also and drill the end?

Is that a mock up or final? Only ask bc ratios are important to the look and there’s not a hard and fast rule about amount of taper or size of the end of the foot. Is it 3/4” square or 1”, is the blank 2” or 1-1/2”? It may be helpful to mock one up and see what it looks like so it doesn’t end up looking like a fat chick with bird legs in 4” heels. It may be a little different here bc I think you’re putting them inside the apron? So the location you start your taper could vary vs if it was going outside and you wanted to leave 1/8”-1/2” below the apron for the taper to being.

Speaking of, make sure your sled allows you to both finish the cut all the way through and leaves enough space for you to securely fasten the leg when you make the taper on the other side. I’ve screwed up both just by being lazy and working too fast. Had some toggle clamps that I put in the slightly wrong spot and could cut all the way through. Felt like an idiot lol.

You may also want to consider a very small chamfer on the end of your legs. Even though you’re using the leveling feet you could still chip an end when moving it. Just be careful. Working on the end of a 3/4” square it is really easy to get tear out.

Okay just rambling and kind of typing as I think… will go back to lurking since I haven’t actually built anything in like 10 months.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user