World of Warcraft: Classic

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The optics are no where near the height of stupidity (Tyen gets to claim that feat). We're on the downhill slide to obscurity now.

Honestly if "Fires of Heaven" wanted to be a competitive mythic guild the first step would probably have to be not letting 98% of the board join the guild. Classic on the other hand is more in our wheelhouse requiring time over skill.
You are flipping the issue here. We aren’t talking about the optics of the guild, we are talking the optics of a developer being attached to a community like this in current_year.

“WoW developer shouts homophobic slurs in discord while raiding with alt-right gaming community” <— this would be the headline on every gaming website a week after Classic launches.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
You know what I was agreeing with you but actually with the whole Tigole thing and all the shit he's said, people in Overwatch don't seem to care that much. But that game super panders sometimes so maybe he's treading the line carefully in the eyes of game journos.

It's sad, but it's probably true. Oh well there's another thread for that, right? lmao

Also yeah mythic was a mistake at the time

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think the mistake was not being an asshole the whole time, rather than just suddenly
Nah, there was room for Mythic being its own asshole thing but you just weren’t going to find 20 in that roster.

Guild started off correct by being inclusive to all for normal and at least an ilvl requirement for heroic.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Still he could flip us a few beta keys, could he not? Come on hook us up @a_skeleton_03 .
Why would he? It’s also account based and no longer keys.

If it was keys I could probably get us a handful to give out. The way they do it now I would need a list of emails for them to add to a pool. It’s just too much direct work and hands on stuff. Nothing in it for him at all.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Nah, there was room for Mythic being its own asshole thing but you just weren’t going to find 20 in that roster.

Guild started off correct by being inclusive to all for normal and at least an ilvl requirement for heroic.
You’ve still got a divide of people with disparate goals. And the people with aspirations are most likely the same people leading the raids that the more casual players are attending. It’s a fracture waiting to happen when you have different levels of difficulty required for maximum character progression in a given tier.

xzi

Mouthbreather

If it was keys I could probably get us a handful to give out. The way they do it now I would need a list of emails for them to add to a pool. It’s just too much direct work and hands on stuff. Nothing in it for him at all.

Hey I boasted about this earlier, but I have about 6 viewers on twitch so you could say I'm a pretty big influencer. gib keys pls

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Right. We expanded outside of the forums because we had to. People that shouldn't have been there were, either because they wanted to or thought they had to. I never got the clear picture.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Ok good point on the keys, but why would he not? its his old community that he set up (or at least was a big part of setting up). Sure he does not owe us shit, but its not like hes not a part of this community still in spirit at least. Its been going strong for the better part of 20 yrs now. I think he would be proud of this, would he not?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Classic WoW is basically the reversal of enjoyable content to current WoW. Leveling in classic is engaging and you have to save your CDs and conserve resources in case of accidental adds. You have to be wary of how you pull and have to watch out for patrols. Raiding is very boring because you spend more time not attacking so you don't pull aggro or spamming your one mana efficient heal/bolt spell than anything else. Current WoW is an AE fest while leveling and it doesn't really matter if you overpull because you can disengage very easily on any class. Raiding (at least on Mythic) is so involved it turns into a headache because of all the cooldowns, abilities, and mechanics you have to keep track of.

In a lot of ways Classic WoW's model is much more of a loot pinata than current WoW when speaking of highest end gear. End game content is so relaxing and uninvolved you can almost AFK through it and collect your loot. The only reason it doesn't feel like a free loot giveaway is because of RNG rarity on the best items and the fact that very few pieces drop in relation to the amount of people you bring to the content. If Titanforging was not a thing nobody would complain about "free loot" in Modern WoW because the best items are actually harder to obtain if you don't get lucky with a high TF. The problem is none of the itemization is interesting, it's all just primary and secondary stats. Itemization was way more interesting in Classic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Ok good point on the keys, but why would he not? its his old community that he set up (or at least was a big part of setting up). Sure he does not owe us shit, but its not like hes not a part of this community still in spirit at least. Its been going strong for the better part of 20 yrs now. I think he would be proud of this, would he not?

I mean are we even really the same community anymore? After rerolled and back again I am sure there are less original FOH members than you can count on one hand.

Hell most of the board at this point probably never played EQ or even know who Furor is.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'd wager most of the people in this thread played EQ, know FoH and know who Furor is. But yes, the gaming section of this forum is far less active. It used to be the draw, now people are more interested in arguing politics.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'd wager most of the people in this thread played EQ, know FoH and know who Furor is. But yes, the gaming section of this forum is far less active. It used to be the draw, now people are more interested in arguing politics.

Blame it on the age of the community. I wager most people dont even play games anymore, or at least not as much like they did the 10-20 yrs ago. This is why they like playing politics meta game now.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Classic WoW is basically the reversal of enjoyable content to current WoW. Leveling in classic is engaging and you have to save your CDs and conserve resources in case of accidental adds. You have to be wary of how you pull and have to watch out for patrols. Raiding is very boring because you spend more time not attacking so you don't pull aggro or spamming your one mana efficient heal/bolt spell than anything else. Current WoW is an AE fest while leveling and it doesn't really matter if you overpull because you can disengage very easily on any class. Raiding (at least on Mythic) is so involved it turns into a headache because of all the cooldowns, abilities, and mechanics you have to keep track of.

In a lot of ways Classic WoW's model is much more of a loot pinata than current WoW when speaking of highest end gear. End game content is so relaxing and uninvolved you can almost AFK through it and collect your loot. The only reason it doesn't feel like a free loot giveaway is because of RNG rarity on the best items and the fact that very few pieces drop in relation to the amount of people you bring to the content. If Titanforging was not a thing nobody would complain about "free loot" in Modern WoW because the best items are actually harder to obtain if you don't get lucky with a high TF. The problem is none of the itemization is interesting, it's all just primary and secondary stats. Itemization was way more interesting in Classic.

Yeah that’s the thing the current game is so vastly different at this point it’s hard to even consider it an MMORPG. As involved as current bleeding edge Mythic kills are they still don’t get the fanfaire like your first Rag kill even though mechanically it’s light years beyond and substantially more difficult.

At the end of the day killing version #4 of a boss for loot variant #376 isn’t nearly as excited as killing Naggy and getting a Cloak of Flames.

The current game might offer various levels of difficulty to appeal to a wider group of players but it also leads to people excluding friends and guildmates because of the difficulty slider. You end up with apathy from some who don’t care about killing one difficulty higher for the sword of even a blue glow instead of a green one which in BFA the art team was even to fucking lazy to do that. Or you end up resentment towards players who you feel are holding you back although in the current game you just say fuck em and server transfer to join other faggots you don’t know and then quit after two more weeks because you thought the grass was greener and realize every raid team has issues and people who don’t know show, instead of in the past where you invested more in the players and team and you built a comradary with your guildmates.

I still says MMORPGs should have one version of a boss and one version of loot, Transmog shit is gay as is Armor dye, not being able to see by a visual cue what people in the game are wearing lost a ton of uniqueness.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I think the mistake was not being an asshole the whole time
I see you have found the true secret to succesful raid leading. People will either do as they are told because they:
  • share the same goal and ambition
  • like you
  • you kick their ass otherwise
Well, my account just got flagged for classic beta--no email. And it's only 9 GB, which is nothing compared to the BfA client.

Still debating if I should start streaming on twitch. But then I'd have to buy the neccessary "tools":

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
That big fight in Arathi was pretty fun to watch, saw Daezuel in one of the chats lol. The horde mages did some work on the ally, meanwhile Asmon who was rejoicing Venruki changing his mind and having fun classic, spent more than half his time sitting in camp waiting to get even more, gives out his speeches, goes out, gets rekt by Venruki, eventually quits leaving the rest of the raid to die. He's did so much crying, even complaining about cc's in the game (he's a warrior and had 2 pocket paladins), his chat was half turning on him all day. Most of the pros already in one guild on horde, even Shroud might join them as he supposedly will get first dibs on sulfuras lol.

Only sad thing I see about world pvp is that it will probably never evolve like it did in gw2 wvw, gvging, advanced tactics like mass stealth and porting(although it does have mass ressing on your campers to bomb them instantly), it'll mostly stay as pug raids that have more numbers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user