World of Warcraft: Classic

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The way I remember it is the Pally didn't even have to press the hotkey, it was triggered by the tell. I don't know if was just an in-game macro or a keyboard macro.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I think it was an addon called Whisper Cast or PallyPower - I don't remember after all those years. Blizzard changed the API to outright kill addons like that (e.g. Decursive) however, so with the classic client based on 7.3.5 those addons won't work in the old way.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think it's a fine line between proper gameplay assist and outright botting. IMO decursive and PallyPower were far beyond the line and those characters might as well have been botted in raids.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Emergency heal in the raid mod pack, before they blocked it. I pressed 2 buttons all raid, #1 healing charts. (target lowest, fastest heal, laugh while everyone overheals, move on)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I think it's a fine line between proper gameplay assist and outright botting. IMO decursive and PallyPower were far beyond the line and those characters might as well have been botted in raids.
Hover cast replaced it which isn't much different.

Emergency heal was funny. Caused so much over healing with all healers targeting the player with the lowest health and getting bombarded. Really wasn't even necessary, or all that efficient, but it helped keep your lowest common denominator from dying due to standing in fire.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Be shit, get lit (on fire).

Saving them only helps them to believe they're not shit, and doesn't let them know they need to modify their behavior.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Lol, don't disagree, but I was unfortunately on an RP server late 2006 so we took what we could get from folks who would actually show up. Plus they helped pad my healing meters, lol.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hover cast replaced it which isn't much different.

Emergency heal was funny. Caused so much over healing with all healers targeting the player with the lowest health and getting bombarded. Really wasn't even necessary, or all that efficient, but it helped keep your lowest common denominator from dying due to standing in fire.
Hovercast is different because the original mods just would cast stuff without even looking at the screen. Like Decursive was just press the button and it'd auto target whatever had to be cured so you never had to actually figure out who was debuff, just mash that button all fight(on the first MC fucker, forgot his name, ended with ron?) Iirc they nerfed decursive in vanilla though didn't they? They just nerfed the amount of curses being thrown at the same time and that was it? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, I didn't play healer during that time.

You know it's funny because with all these mods, I don't remember there being a tranq shot mod. Which would have helped with how fucking retarded most hunters were.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Hovercast is different because the original mods just would cast stuff without even looking at the screen. Like Decursive was just press the button and it'd auto target whatever had to be cured so you never had to actually figure out who was debuff, just mash that button all fight(on the first MC fucker, forgot his name, ended with ron?) Iirc they nerfed decursive in vanilla though didn't they? They just nerfed the amount of curses being thrown at the same time and that was it? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, I didn't play healer during that time.

You know it's funny because with all these mods, I don't remember there being a tranq shot mod. Which would have helped with how fucking retarded most hunters were.
Decursive worked until 2.0 and I don't believe they changed any vanilla fights to take that into consideration. Lucifron was a joke by that point regardless but Noth in naxx40 was a bitch iirc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Decursive worked until 2.0 and I don't believe they changed any vanilla fights to take that into consideration. Lucifron was a joke by that point regardless but Noth in naxx40 was a bitch iirc.
Oh I see, I thought I remembered them nerfing Lucifron at some point during MC/BWL so people without Decursive wouldn't have so much trouble, but it's been so long I don't remember.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I believe the issue in vanilla with Decursive was that it could "double up" where multiple people using the same priority list would attempt to dispel the same target which wasted GCDs. For later fights like Sapphiron if you weren't efficient at cleansing the curse the extra damage and boss healing could cause problems.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
For Saphriron if you didn't get behind an ice pillar was the bigger issue. Had the same issue in heroic 25 man Sindragosa.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember they throwing the book at decursive in BWL, because it made Chromagus an annoying POS to fight with all the random shit going on. Not sure if that was before or after aq/naxx but think it was before. I don't remember wasting GC's back then though, I thought it said "the target isn't cursed" or "Nothing to dispel" and didn't fire or something, as a mage there wasn't as much curses as diseases/poisons/magics.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's still a long ways off but I'm pretty excited about WoW Classic. I'll be playing but honestly the game itself is kinda whatever. What I'm all giddy about is seeing how the community tackles it. I've played on a number of Everquest progression servers over the years and I can't wait to see what the WoW community does with vanilla. On the EQ prog servers we saw a continued evolution of tactics, leveling paths and optimization that is still ongoing. A fringe strategy on one server put into practice by just a couple of people with some specialized knowledge from back in the day can grow to become the standard. Much like you see with the speedrunning community there's just so many ways to get better at any particular video game. What's broken? What's broken and exploitable? I know there's been an array of emulator servers over the years so this isn't entirely fresh but this time it's for real. Are we going to see people five-boxing forty hours straight with the help of adderall and percocet? We do in EQ and if EverQuest has maybe half a dozen people that go that far on any particular prog server than World of Warcraft has to have hundreds between all their servers. Are there crews forming right now planning out an entire start to finish blueprint for world firsts? I damn sure hope so.

I know that Daybreak and Blizzard aren't in the same league and I'm sure that WoW Classic is going to be a far more faithful recreation than we ever got in Everquest but I'm seeing people whose fidelity is so high they can't be anything but disappointed. Some of these people are approaching "playing The Legend of Zelda on an emulator doesn't compare to the authenticity of playing with an actual Nintendo on an old television" levels of delineation. They're going to have a bad time. WoW Classic is 100% for sure guaranteed bank on it going to have shit in it or quality of life changes or other differences that are not patch 1.12 specific. It's just the reality. Be happy with what you got.

One thing to really look out for is the amount of people with something to prove that are going to be playing on these. It sounds sorta silly but if I extrapolate by population from EQ to WoW the raw number of people in that category let me tell you it's going to be entertaining as all get out watching them hack at each other with rusty knives. Miss the game winning catch in high school? You can't go back. Never rose above irrelevance fourteen years ago during vanilla? You can go back! And hoo doggy do gamers with a chip on their shoulder make these things interesting. To those of you planning to make your way on a PvP server I salute you.

The whole thing should be quite the spectacle.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Yup. I'm actually pretty hyped right now. They shouldn't have announced it so far off though, in 6 months I may lose all interest.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup. I'm actually pretty hyped right now. They shouldn't have announced it so far off though, in 6 months I may lose all interest.
It's actually lining up nicely for me, as I'm looking at half a year of paternity leave right about when the server launches.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As a teacher, fuck yes summer. Now watch their definition of summer be "first day of PLAN in august."

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
My biggest concern is that you have to find a guild on the same level of poopsockery as yourself, because at the end of the day vanilla raiding is about logistics. I don't know if I can bring myself to play this - if I start casually it will probably suck me right back in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user