World of Warcraft: Current Year

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the help with the artifact, I've got that all figured out now. Gonna do some LFRs and pray for drops. I'd like to do Argus LFR today before it resets, but that seems unlikely. A friend told me it takes ilvl 890 to get in, and I'm only 866.

He also is very insistent that I get World Quest Tracker, but I've really been hoping to be able to play without any addons. I know if I want to do anything other than be an LFR hero I'll need damage meters and DBM. Do I really need this World Quest Tracker?

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the help with the artifact, I've got that all figured out now. Gonna do some LFRs and pray for drops. I'd like to do Argus LFR today before it resets, but that seems unlikely. A friend told me it takes ilvl 890 to get in, and I'm only 866.

He also is very insistent that I get World Quest Tracker, but I've really been hoping to be able to play without any addons. I know if I want to do anything other than be an LFR hero I'll need damage meters and DBM. Do I really need this World Quest Tracker?

Damage meters are supplemental, DBM is absolutely required. World quest tracker isn't a necessity but it optimizes your efforts 100 fold when clearing WQ's. I use and prefer Angry world quests. It's a bit cleaner. World quest group finder is particularly amazing if you want to easily group for the harder stuff, especially at 866.

Sidenote, what's the opposition to addons?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Eh, when I first resubbed I tried setting up action bars and some inventory addon, Onebag I think. I wound up with errors out the wazoo, and tried to get BugSack for that. That didn't work, so I decided I'd download one of those Suites of addons and try that. Got elvui and proceeded through the set-up and all of that. Again I wound up with bugs that kept popping up when I would open my quest log or world map. I was frustrated as hell, and just wanted to play the game I'd just resubbed to. So, I turned everything off, went back in and set up my hotbars with keybinds the way I wanted them, and haven't looked back.

I typically set my action bars up and use my primary skills on buttons 1-6, Shift+1-6, and Ctrl+1-6, with a couple of other things on my mouse buttons 4 and 5. This has worked for me since WoW came out, and with every other MMO I've played since then. In my mind a game ought to be playable the way the designers gave it to us, without using outside additions. The noise that DBM makes when it's telling you about something on the floor or something that's about to happen drives me nuts. I can see the fire on the floor, I can hear when boss says "x y or z" and know that something is coming, I can read the text of the enemy Spell Casting Bar and know whats happening, without an addon drawing my attention to it. I can look at my world map and hover over the WQs and see if they give me something that's an upgrade without having an addon tell me so.

All that said, I did die today to Piranah's Crashing Wave on the third boss of ToS, because I didn't know it was happening o_O

Finally, the one friend I've currently got playing this game is THAT guy that wants to tell you how to do everything and how to play. He'll invite me to a group, not say anything, and just throw us into queues for things that he thinks I need to do. He'll mention this fucking World Quest addon every 10 minutes until I get the thing. I want to throttle him, but he's the only buddy I've got playing so whatever. I know he knows that I've raided in every expansion since release except for this one. Meanwhile he's skipped an entire expansion a time or two, and never does anything other than get to max level, start the grind, and then quit. So yea, every time he mentions the specific addons I "need" it makes me want to not get them just to spite him. Stupid, I know.

/rant

I'll grab a couple of addons and give em a whirl. One of the things I really liked about FFXIV was that you never had to consider addons at all. Can't get any of my buddies to play that game with me either. Bastards can't do anything challenging without losing the will to continue playing.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hmmm that's strange. I'm guessing it was just one of the addons you had installed that was causing all the issues.

ElvUI by itself shouldn't be throwing errors. Many of us here use it without issue. This game is basically unplayable without addons. There are so many QoL improvements through addons it's dizzying. There are some addons I just couldn't imagine playing without. Angry World Quests is one of those addons. OrderHallCommander is another. Once you use them you'll see why.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Hmmm that's strange. I'm guessing it was just one of the addons you had installed that was causing all the issues.

ElvUI by itself shouldn't be throwing errors. Many of us here use it without issue. This game is basically unplayable without addons. There are so many QoL improvements through addons it's dizzying. There are some addons I just couldn't imagine playing without. Angry World Quests is one of those addons. OrderHallCommander is another. Once you use them you'll see why.

The biggest thing for me about the non-raid type addons is that they save time. On the days I might do worldquests I want to get them done as quickly as possible. Lets say Angry World Quest or World Quest Tracer saves 2 minutes on average per quest over 30 quests I just saved myself 1 hour of tedious bullshit.

OrderHallCommander is the same type of thing you save 1-2 minute per mission. That shit adds up over time since so much of this game tries to siphon your time like a goddamn leech.

When it comes to basic play-ability I still feel like the base UI needs some drastic levels of modernization to put players on a better starting ground. The fact that everyone moves their health and target health to the middle of the screen yet Bliz hasn't even done that with the base is dumb.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You can customize most of these addons, which of course requires time, but tweaking DBM to your liking (removing glaring notifications, which as you've just admitted you missed) is an option.

ElvUI does have conflicts with other addons. Particularly anything that affects bars, such as other scrolling combat or bar addons, meaning you have to disable that part of ElvUI in the addon if you're also using something else that affects the same thing.

I'd like to live without ElvUI, and preferred Tukui, but Tukui was too light and buggy. It was easier to disable nodes in ElvUI and deal. Either way, I can't handle to default UI. It takes up too much space visually. Of course that's preference.

That aside, the only addons I couldn't live without are angry world quests, or a bag addon (which is incorporated into elvui). And for raiding, RC loot Council as a guild requirement. And DBM because the game doesn't give you shit for notifications naturally, especially at the higher tiers, and mythic has been requiring fight specific weak aura mods...

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
What was (if it's still around) the main depository of mods everyone downloaded most of them from? This talk reminds me that while I was leveling I said fuck it,,,, now that I've unlocked world quests I can see where a mod would be much nicer to unfuck this gaggle.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
WTF is with the bugged grapple points? last night in suramar and now tonight in stormheim ill target a grapple and will shoot me off to some other random nearby one?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WTF is with the bugged grapple points? last night in suramar and now tonight in stormheim ill target a grapple and will shoot me off to some other random nearby one?
That has always happened. Gotta turn so it's the only one you can see.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm so proud of you guys. I get chills every time I see the "Guild has engaged suchandsuch" in my chat window.

• 1Worf

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Well, out of 12 legendaries possible from random drops, I have all but 4 of them. Of course, 3 of those 4 are the only 3 that are actually good for my class/spec (Havoc DH). I'll get another random token today or tomorrow and I fully expect to get the last useless one.

Such a lovely system, I will fondly remember it.

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, out of 12 legendaries possible from random drops, I have all but 4 of them. Of course, 3 of those 4 are the only 3 that are actually good for my class/spec (Havoc DH). I'll get another random token today or tomorrow and I fully expect to get the last useless one.

Such a lovely system, I will fondly remember it.
What did you do every day to maximize gains? Looking to do the same on my dk

Brikker

Trump's Staff
What did you do every day to maximize gains? Looking to do the same on my dk

Argus Invasions seem to be the best. Two of my random drops from that so far. I'm at 999 essence; that will be my third random token. Got one from a world boss...think I got my first two way back from LFD heroic. But yea, doing invasions seems to be the best way to build that BLP.