World of Warcraft: Current Year

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
And sorry, but upgrading gear via valor points is fucking stupid. All they've done is throw you a few scraps, when previously a new teir came out with a new crop of valor to farm for, and then you were DONE. You are spending half of the valor on one upgrade for 4 ilvl points that you would have on a real item in the old system. And you're doing this just to get into the next LFR.

This system is fucking whack; whoever decided this was the new vision for blizzard should be castrated.
I kind of liked when getting excess valor meant you could just sell bracers, boots or whatever was the norm at the time, on the auctionhouse for some profit to supplement your raiding. Back when you actually diddn't need to do 1000 valor points worth of dailies, heroics or shitty lfr to stay competent. The idea that as long as you keep playing every week you improve your gear is so atrociously annoying. It's like they have a threadmill with fairly large steps, and now they just added in a buckload of tiny steps to go with it. Motherfucker, no more quitting during a patch. Keep that sub! $$$

Dom_sl

shitlord
Out of curiosity...what is the change of direction between the old vs. new?
They tunnelized it. One straight tunnel with a bit of trash inbetween each boss. No side bosses, no room clears before gandling etc...

They also combined SM Lib/GY/Armory into one dungeon.

Two of the more interesting dungeons in the game and they turn them into McWow happy meals. It's rather depressing zoning into them for the first time if you have any nostalgia for the originals. I wouldn't have minded the change so much if they had kept the original normal versions for lowbies, and just put in the revamp for the heroics, but they completely got rid of the originals alltogether.

Bortas_sl

shitlord
hahaha

rrr_img_7658.jpg
Hahahaha

Meko

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They tunnelized it. One straight tunnel with a bit of trash inbetween each boss. No side bosses, no room clears before gandling etc...

Two of the more interesting dungeons in the game and they turn them into McWow happy meals. It's rather depressing zoning into them for the first time if you have any nostalgia for the originals. I wouldn't have minded the change so much if they had kept the original normal versions for lowbies, and just put in the revamp for the heroics, but they completely got rid of the originals alltogether.
I didn't realize they did away with the normal one too. That does suck.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

I understand the nostalgia, but all I remember about those was TRASH. No real loss there. More corridors with more trash does not make shit more interesting. Also, I will add, that no one othetr than some lv 85-90 running his buddy through them was using that shit anyway. and that goes for any of the other Lv15-85 dungeons.

Meko

While that may be true, removing some of the uniqueness a dungeon has is never a good thing in my opinion. They did the same thing for Sunken Temple too. It's now just a means to dungeon quests and XP, nothing more. It reduces group play and such imo.

Juvarisx

Florida
Wait wait wait..... people are complaining about SM instances becoming streamlined?

DO you people forget what the old ones were?

Cath
rrr_img_8898.jpg

Armory
rrr_img_8899.jpg

Library

rrr_img_8900.jpg

I mean Jesus Christ its fine to be nostalgic, but those were the original tunnel instances.

Meko

Did they change up or reduce the bosses in the new instance? Did they maintain the hidden room?

Juvarisx

Florida
Did they change up or reduce the bosses in the new instance? Did they maintain the hidden room?
Scarlet Halls which is Lib/Arm has 3 bosses like the old 2 combined did
Scarlet Monastery which is GY/Cath has 3 bosses which is 1 more then the old one did.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Wait wait wait..... people are complaining about SM instances becoming streamlined?

DO you people forget what the old ones were?

I mean Jesus Christ its fine to be nostalgic, but those were the original tunnel instances.
I was complaining about Scholo being tunnelized, not SM. My complaint about SM has to do with so much of it being cut and sped up. It takes as long to run Scarlet Halls as it did to run Lib, but it includes Lib/Armory.

Yes, each SM section was a tunnel, and I had issues with that back then as well, but it made up for that with SM being cut into 4 sections to choose from back when you had to actually travel there, pick the side, progress onto the next etc... Now it has 0 character and smacks of a B-plot remake.

Blizzard seems to think that dungeons that take longer than 20-30 minutes is something that people don't want anymore, yet I never hear a complaint when I get into a LFD for BRD. In fact, most groups want to do a full clear rather than just the queued section.

But, I'm ok with them remaking the dungeons into heroics, I just wish they'd keep the original versions in the low-level LFD queue.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
First of all, NO ONE did Sunken Temple. The time spent for loot obtained was horrible there. That was a horrible dungeon. Removing the entire upper circle and just focusing on the main floor was an improvement IMO. It was basically WoW's version of Splitpaw from EQ1: A shitty out of the way dungeon with almost no loot and no one ever went to, but a couple items a few classes liked. The recent revamp made it less PITA.

As for SM, they basically combined the graveyard + cathedral into one, and the library + armory into one. Both have 3 bosses each. The hidden room in Cathedral is there, but the undead bishop is just a corpse on the ground (he just dropped worthless green vendor trash pre-revamp anyways).

They actually did add some interesting mechanics, though. I like using the dog food to skip trash before Houndmaster.

Crazily

N00b
Sunken temple was awesome IMO. It took a little bit of thinking to figure it out.....and there was some good loot in there. I forget the name but there was some kick ass sword....

Meko

I love the dungeons that are elaborate and feel like a mini zone. I think it adds a little flavor but then again, at this point, it's just about exp exp exp loot, drop group repeat.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Sunken temple was awesome IMO. It took a little bit of thinking to figure it out.....and there was some good loot in there. I forget the name but there was some kick ass sword....
http://www.wowhead.com/item=10847Dragon's Call. Spawned a little whelp buddy. :3

And yeah, I miss doing a full up clear of BRD. Take a Friday night, a couple good buddies and some snacks and go at it for hours while shooting the shit with friends. Nothing really has that same feel anymore. Same with Scholo.

Meko

I'm pretty sure I had that sword for my rogue back in the day. Those dungeons have certainly lost their charm it seems. I love the little stuff like that. For instance in the 'Grim Guzzler', I love how the 'guzzling patrons' are non-elite but the drunken ones are 'elites'. Little things like that are awesome imo.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Even if you did not like Scholo because of the trash vs. boss vs. reward ratio you gotta mourn the loss of variety. It was 98% tunneled dungeons before and even if I, too, would very rarely queue for ST or Scholo I did enjoy them immensely when I actually did them with friends. Maybe 2 or 3 times in the past years as opposed to the hundreds of runs I must have done in places like the Nexus or Utgarde for example. But still. I would have liked doing Scholo again on my monk, one final time.

That's a point that article linked before, even if it was talking about FB social game and not MMOs, does touch on. If you look at the numbers you can tell that, clearly, 99.999% of the players run the streamlined dungeons 99.9999% of the time. Having 3 dungeons sitting there barely ever used has to look like a flaw. But because I enjoy my 50 week ends a year does not mean you should take away Christmas. Doesn't mean Christmas should happen every week either. Having a special dungeon you look up once in a while is OK.

Sad.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I fear it wont be too long before they redo Blackrock and chop it up rather than the current version of streamlined (only have to do a couple bosses but you can go anywhere you like if you have the inkling)

Did UBRS with my Monk before Xmas in a group where we decided to do the whole thing top to bottom. Took ages and yet it was extremely fun.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Sad to hear, although not surprising. Part of what made dungeons like Scholo and BRD great in Vanilla was how they were not tunnels. Sure there was a lot of trash, but it was an epic experience then. Another reason to never come back. As soon as they went the direction that everyone could expect to see everything in a dungeon through a tunnel and succeed with ease, the game lost something.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You guys clearly had much different vanilla experiences. Trying to get people to run most of those long dungeons was like trying to pull teeth. Having to do dozens of Onyxia key quest runs soured the zone, as well as 40 man clears to zone into MC. Also, if you weren't a rogue or warrior, no one wanted to invest time for an Emp run.