World of Warcraft: Current Year

masteen

N00b
Long DPS queues could be handled similarly to how they handle scenarios, though I don't know how popular it would be. Make 2 versions of LFR, one where healing is required, one where self healing is assumed and unavoidable damage is minimal but avoidable damage is common. I know LFR is not the stomping grounds of players who necessarily appreciate that sort of thing, and at what point is it the same as mailing epix every week, but I think it has the potential to be viable.
Or they could make healing more fun. Healing is still the same boring ass game of whack a mole it's been since vanilla, except it's not even as visually stimulating because instead of moles popping out at you, it's little green bars that shrink and grow and sometimes change color when you need to cure them.

Needless

Toe Sucker
What do you expect healing to be? a game of bejeweled, where every set of gems you clear you heal somebody? A fleshlight based controller where in order to heal somebody you have to achieve a specific speed without busting or you go OOM?!

Play a monk if you want something different as a healer

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah but how old is your account? (IE how many pets do you have that you can no longer get?) Terrible sadness is not being able to get the SC pets - those are too damn cool.

Crazily

N00b
The part about tab targeting puzzled me. It's just a rumor so who knows. Then again maybe they have info that shows more people like tab targeting then a more action based game. I loved not having the trinity in GW2, even though you could recreate it. Not having the trinity turned a lot of people away. Maybe it's the same with action based mmo's.
I hated not having the holy trinity. Dungeons were just chaotic zerg fests of kiting/stunning/graveyard. Give me the standard tank/heal/dps model anyday.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Yeah but how old is your account? (IE how many pets do you have that you can no longer get?) Terrible sadness is not being able to get the SC pets - those are too damn cool.
Release account, but I only started collecting pets about 3 months ago. Technically, there are only a few unobtainable pets, with many others being obtainable by shelling out retarded amounts of cash for collectors editions (1k+ for vanilla) and/or codes for some of the others on ebay or tcgloot.

One thing to look out for if you want to avoid spending cash is people that are obviously selling TCG card pets on the AH a lot: you can usually get them to order a code in return for a relatively fair amount of gold. 4-6k for an Eye of the Legion for example.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Jay Wilson on Titan project? Outstanding.

I'll prolly play beta, and then quit.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I hated not having the holy trinity.
Why?

Were the dungeons chaotic zergs because you weren't performing a trinity role (namely healing) or were they chaotic because your team was taking massive damage needlessly?

That really ISN'T supposed to be how it happens. IF it does happen then I have a question. Do the same group of people you played without a healer or inside of a non-trinity based game performexceptionallywell in trinity based games? If your answer is a "Well we are 10 of 12 normal currently in ToT" or anything outside of "we are working on hardmodes after completing all 12 normal" then you have your answer as to why a non-trinity game will never be for you, at least as far as grouping with friends.

This isn't a personal jab, it really is a stated fact. Enjoyment comes from playing with people in an MMO, if the people you love playing with hate the manner in which they are being told to play then you really have your answer. It seems like the people you are with are so used to taking damage and getting saved that they don't know how to play any other way.

So It boils down, did you "hate" not having the trinity or did you "hate" that the people around you REQUIRE the trinity to play?

I am / was the latter.

EDIT:

I should add, I really don't care too much about GW2 but more the mentality that we can never leave the trinity based game design. It is tired and old and I would much rather have fun with a game than play "Whack-a-mole" as I heal or AFK DPS or AFK tank. I mean, to me, if I could play a God of War style fight with like 5 people all dodging mechanics and working parts of a boss down, I would be thrilled.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I loved the idea of the lack of trinity in GW2 until I actually got into the game and experienced the results. Trinity is required for a game if it intends to have any sort of serious PVE content. To not have trinity means that threat becomes a random variable which in turn results in chaotic and RNG based system. Nobody wants their PVE to be governed by the luck of the draw as it eliminates the important yet small amount of skill in PVE. Yes, skill might allow you to dodge out of an AOE attack, but if RNG then decides to do it twice in a row to the same person: little can be done to counter it. Unless you can understand the pattern of events in an encounter in a logical systematic way while actually experiencing that event it just becomes chaos that you have little effect on which diminishes the player's part and perceived importance in what they are spending their time on.

If you create a system around the lack of trinity that ends up having some sort of threat mechanic that can be manipulated, it will just boil down to having a tank or tanks which pretty much becomes a trinity-like system in itself.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There is nothing random about agrro in GW2. The problem is ignorance of a lot of the playerbase and exploitable and buggy boss mechanics that allow people to ignore actually doing the content.

Crazily

N00b
There is nothing random about agrro in GW2. The problem is ignorance of a lot of the playerbase and exploitable and buggy boss mechanics that allow people to ignore actually doing the content.
The dungeons/encounters are trash. It's why most people quit shortly after level capping. The PvP is not good enough to stick around for and the dungeons are a huge mess. Deny it all you want, the holy trinity is needed in order to make encounters that push DPS/Gear/mechanics.

Simply kiting mobs around or graveyard zerging is not exactly rocket science.

Dom_sl

shitlord
The only discernible thing about GW2's threat system that I noticed was a preference for the mobs to go after targets that were close, which meant fuck all when running with more than one melee based spec. But, in case I'm am one of said ignorant playerbase: please feel free to point out the other threat mechanics.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The threat system varies by type of mob and encounter. Some agrro on whoever has the most toughness, some by proximity, some really hate when you try to rez someone. There are bosses that hate condition damage and poison fields and some even go after those wearing the most magic find. There are also mobs that need to be kited because threat is based on damage. The mechanics and depth are there, they just don't hold your hand and tell you everything with a tooltip. If you want to say that something more complex then the usual agrro system doesn't belong in a casual game I could agree with that. Saying it isn't there because you and some people just kited everything and didn't bother to learn anything is just wrong.

As far as people zerging from waypoints is concerned, your group sucked. Not a single damn encounter pre dungeon nerfs needed to be zerged. This is mostly Anets fault for allowing that shit in the first place and having exploitable encounters. Gw2 pugs are the worst I think I have ever experienced in any mmo because of this. I refuse to pug dungeons.

The main flaw with GW2 was that it was a game made to be played by casuals with some game systems in place that needed a lot of trial and error to figure out.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Back on topic. I don't really think Blizzard can do much to maintain an insane amount of subs. The damn game is 10 years old. I don't play it anymore because I simply got tired of it and wanted something different.

Dom_sl

shitlord
The threat system varies by type of mob and encounter. Some agrro on whoever has the most toughness, some by proximity, some really hate when you try to rez someone. There are bosses that hate condition damage and poison fields and some even go after those wearing the most magic find. There are also mobs that need to be kited because threat is based on damage. The mechanics and depth are there, they just don't hold your hand and tell you everything with a tooltip. If you want to say that something more complex then the usual agrro system doesn't belong in a casual game I could agree with that. Saying it isn't there because you and some people just kited everything and didn't bother to learn anything is just wrong.
I stand corrected. That said, while I don't personally have any issue with complicated systems being in a casual oriented game: I do take issue with shitty game design that hides the majority of information in an information based game from its players in the efforts of avoiding a trinity based system, yet still managing to provide what certainly appears to be a method of actually assigning someone to be the tank via toughness stacking, proximity, and just generally manipulating the various threat mechanisms.

And while I'm sure a good number of people around here are more than interested in spending a lot of time on each and every boss - in dungeons that are already too long for their own good - in order to figure out if X amount of magic find will result in Test Subject Alpha take 7 running over to Randy the Ranger: They are the minority, and that has fuck all to do with the casual vs hardcore bullshit argument that hasn't been relevant for many years.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I stand corrected. That said, while I don't personally have any issue with complicated systems being in a casual oriented game: I do take issue with shitty game design that hides the majority of information in an information based game from its players in the efforts of avoiding a trinity based system, yet still managing to provide what certainly appears to be a method of actually assigning someone to be the tank via toughness stacking, proximity, and just generally manipulating the various threat mechanisms.

And while I'm sure a good number of people around here are more than interested in spending a lot of time on each and every boss - in dungeons that are already too long for their own good - in order to figure out if X amount of magic find will result in Test Subject Alpha take 7 running over to Randy the Ranger: They are the minority, and that has fuck all to do with the casual vs hardcore bullshit argument that hasn't been relevant for many years.
Can't really disagree with your points. More information is never a bad thing imo.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Pfft, I'm up to 474, fucking scrub. L2CatchEmAll
478, suck it. As soon as they fix this whole bullshit with the fabled quests I might actually get some of the pandas too! And this whole thing with it not really being "summer" pet-wise but being "summer" season in wow is driving me nuts.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm sure there are A LOT of people just needing that one last summer pet for the achieve. IMO it's always worth having the epic pet quest up, if you are still running around doing faction quests, killing the overland raid guys, etc. I compete it every few days, enough so that I've gotten all the pandas. But yeah, that and the other upcoming pet changes will be pretty nice. The real pisser is going to be the pets that will come from pet pvp achieves.

Also, I maintain that for an account only 7 months old, I ain't doing too shabby =)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure there are A LOT of people just needing that one last summer pet for the achieve. IMO it's always worth having the epic pet quest up, if you are still running around doing faction quests, killing the overland raid guys, etc. I compete it every few days, enough so that I've gotten all the pandas. But yeah, that and the other upcoming pet changes will be pretty nice. The real pisser is going to be the pets that will come from pet pvp achieves.

Also, I maintain that for an account only 7 months old, I ain't doing too shabby =)
I'm curious what made you pick up the game 7 months ago when it's nearly 9 years old. I mean, what kept you from trying it before 7 months ago (or conversely, what piqued your interest to try it)?