World of Warcraft: Current Year

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
What exactly was this Blizzcon? Not only did they not announce anything new or even mildly interesting for WoW. But they didn't announce anything interesting at all... for any of their games. Unless maybe people think porting diablo 3 to mobile is interesting? Or slapping some new graphics onto a 16 year old game and charging for it? They can't even do their fucking convention right anymore? What the hell is going on at Blizzard?

All I remember about Warcraft III was how much I hated it because Warcraft II was one of my favorite games of all time and they fucking ruined it with that hero shit. But I guess it spawned an entire new genre of mega popular games because of how good the map editor was.

War 3 was pretty good, even with the heroes and the creep xp system. But yeah, it was my first blizzcon and it was pretty underwhelming. Diablo Immortal was effectively joke tier hah.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What exactly was this Blizzcon? Not only did they not announce anything new or even mildly interesting for WoW. But they didn't announce anything interesting at all... for any of their games. Unless maybe people think porting diablo 3 to mobile is interesting? Or slapping some new graphics onto a 16 year old game and charging for it? They can't even do their fucking convention right anymore? What the hell is going on at Blizzard?

All I remember about Warcraft III was how much I hated it because Warcraft II was one of my favorite games of all time and they fucking ruined it with that hero shit. But I guess it spawned an entire new genre of mega popular games because of how good the map editor was.
Not to discount what you're saying, but a lot of the Blizzcon experience has to do with just being there, the subpanels with developers that you won't see replayed on YouTube, and the tournaments. The tournaments are a huge part, and probably the most fun aspect I had when I went. Other than drinking and the Hearthstone bar. And the cosplay. And the food trucks. And the $2 custom beer during the aftershow. And the merch. The announcements are supposed to be the hype engine, but this isn't the first Blizzcon where that shit has fallen on its ass. The year I went they announced the Necromancer for D3, a character for Overwatch, and a Legion patch. And they had fucking Weird Al as the main act, that wasn't actually a full act, just him in a Hawaiian shirt doing a few of his songs... That said, I'm definitely glad I didn't attend this year, Jesus Christ. Literally fucking nothing exciting about this year's, and a lot of disappointment.

Fucker

Log Wizard
They actually are adding this. Apparently they want to make it substantially more difficult. We will see if that is what actually ends up happening.

What you are going to get is mobs with more HP and more time gating per run. OH! And more Don't Stand in the Pizza mechanics that hit for harder than LFR mechanics. Same shit sandwich; different serving size.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What you are going to get is mobs with more HP and more time gating per run. OH! And more Don't Stand in the Pizza mechanics that hit for harder than LFR mechanics. Same shit sandwich; different serving size.
Not so much not standing in fire, but requiring groups to work in a cohesive manner. Meaning, I need a healer and a tank to counter a pushing group or attempt to take over a point, a bit of back pedaling to defend a point. Something more like Hyjal in BC. On top of having a dedicated team for resource gathering. As is, it happens too organically and passively, and honestly too quickly.

A heroic level probably wouldn't be difficult enough. But it certainly has the potential to be tuned in a way that requires voice communication and coordination for success.

I'm not expecting a 2-3 hour encounter, but that actually sounds fucking awesome. Assuming the rewards were in line.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone else notice their moves not registering? Idk if it's something with global CD but it's so often now il hit a button and it never goes off. I've even gotten to the point ill hit it 2-4 times look and the buff still isnt activated. Driving me insane
I have this on my mage. And it's very obvious at time, because I'm under Combustion (everything crits), got my first crit in, and... I don't get the second crit. At all. Waiting for my insta pyro... nope. After 2-3 tries, it finally lands, but of course my cooldowns for instas are all consumed for no effect.

Then it stops and it's back to normal for a while. Haven't seen (or noticed maybe) on any other char.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Bugs aside, I really think they fucked up just a few things:

- character progression was more fulfilling with the artifact.
- islands needed to be more rewarding for usable gear and more challenging/unpredictable
- needed a heroic warfront using new AI out the damn gate
- gcd changes minimized

I really think the issues are all more gcd and progression related. I get they didn’t want to do 30+ talent trees again, but nobody enjoyed netherlight crucible. And we got that on steroids.

Get class mechanics right and people will still play through a little sub-par content.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Not to discount what you're saying, but a lot of the Blizzcon experience has to do with just being there, the subpanels with developers that you won't see replayed on YouTube, and the tournaments. The tournaments are a huge part, and probably the most fun aspect I had when I went. Other than drinking and the Hearthstone bar. And the cosplay. And the food trucks. And the $2 custom beer during the aftershow. And the merch. The announcements are supposed to be the hype engine, but this isn't the first Blizzcon where that shit has fallen on its ass. The year I went they announced the Necromancer for D3, a character for Overwatch, and a Legion patch. And they had fucking Weird Al as the main act, that wasn't actually a full act, just him in a Hawaiian shirt doing a few of his songs... That said, I'm definitely glad I didn't attend this year, Jesus Christ. Literally fucking nothing exciting about this year's, and a lot of disappointment.

My favorite thing about Blizzcon was the atmosphere. Being in the same building as thousands of other people who love what you love is... as the kids say... lit.

The freebie bag that year was pretty good, too. I still have some of that merch hanging around.

Also, my brother works at Blizzard and getting a chance to tour the Blizzard campus when it's empty is interesting.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Heroic warfront would just be a 20+ minute Eonar fight after you go through it the first time.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Do heroic warfronts have heroic wood when you lumberjack? Is it a higher quality, like oak or walnut? Or is that mythic?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Bugs aside, I really think they fucked up just a few things:

- character progression was more fulfilling with the artifact.
- islands needed to be more rewarding for usable gear and more challenging/unpredictable
- needed a heroic warfront using new AI out the damn gate
- gcd changes minimized

I really think the issues are all more gcd and progression related. I get they didn’t want to do 30+ talent trees again, but nobody enjoyed netherlight crucible. And we got that on steroids.

Get class mechanics right and people will still play through a little sub-par content.

I'm honestly wondering if it wouldn't be better for them to just go back to three 31-point talent trees per class with 51 talent points, accept there's going to be some unforeseen balance problems stemming from the vast number of cominations, and just papering over it by giving every spec a unique buff so the ideal raid always has 20 different specs in it.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Yay 80 exalted factions. Now if I finish BfA factions and some oldworld stuff (max back to cata) I'm at 90 and then I'll have to dig into PvP factions if I want to reach 100. Nothx.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Islands are ok, I think. The only bad part is that the grind to get everything from it is horribly long. I do 10-12 a week, and got like 3 pets (and a dup) and 5-6 xmog items that aren't even in the same set.

(almost everyone by now knows that you skip everything and rush every rare you can find for max loot)

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Also didn’t Blizzard tell the dude who made Dota to go fuck himself which is why he sold it to Steam? I know I have said it before but there is zero reason Blizzard shouldn’t hire these guys who are passionate enough to make addons and other shit. The arguement I always here is why should they when they simply do it for free. Then when I think about it he salary to hire these people it would be a drop in the bucket for the value they get in return.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It’s amusing watching you guys try and justify how complete shit Islands are, by the way even with the rare killing we are just guessing with a thumb up our asses, plus it’s completely counter intuitive to the objective of the islands, and there is still no way to target a single fucking item/mount/tmog from that festering shithole of content. They are adding a vendor to use your dubloons on brand new shit while ignoring that current problem.

Then there are Warfronts which should be PvP given its horde/alliance and this whole fucking xpac is suppose to be about PvP. Or maybe the faggots at Blizzard can get over themselves and just pitch an old god xpac as we all know this is. Warfronts are made to afk though, making them harder is just going to make more people afk through them. It’s garbage content for welfare gear that most people just want over as soon as possible.

I guess I am kind of amazed you guys are trying to find the silver lining in this shit sandwich still. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it isn’t there.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also didn’t Blizzard tell the dude who made Dota to go fuck himself which is why he sold it to Steam? I know I have said it before but there is zero reason Blizzard shouldn’t hire these guys who are passionate enough to make addons and other shit. The arguement I always here is why should they when they simply do it for free. Then when I think about it he salary to hire these people it would be a drop in the bucket for the value they get in return.

Icefrog and yea. And then they sued Valve over things like "Wisp" and "Skeleton King". Then they made a MOBA that by all conjecture and broad evidence doesn't come close to DOTA market share let alone League market share. Dumb fucks. Its not like they didn't have a ton of evidence of game companies hiring modders before. I mean before Valve got Icefrog they got the guy who modded counter strike and now that is hands down the largest FPS in the industry. Like nothing even comes close. I really just don't get it. I'm assuming the problem was Icefrog wanted complete and full creative control over the project maybe and Blizzard said no.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Icefrog and yea. And then they sued Valve over things like "Wisp" and "Skeleton King". Then they made a MOBA that by all conjecture and broad evidence doesn't come close to DOTA market share let alone League market share. Dumb fucks. Its not like they didn't have a ton of evidence of game companies hiring modders before. I mean before Valve got Icefrog they got the guy who modded counter strike and now that is hands down the largest FPS in the industry. Like nothing even comes close. I really just don't get it. I'm assuming the problem was Icefrog wanted complete and full creative control over the project maybe and Blizzard said no.
The potentially reasonable assumption is that, once league became popular as fuck, they wanted to make a MOBA, but not dota, which they thought wouldn't be popular because it's way harder and less casual friendly. Blizzard has been a casual oriented company for a long time, and them having a game like dota would probably clash with what they though would be printing money. They thought that instead of taking an old clunky system, they'd refine and streamline the existing systems of LoL and make a superior version, like they did when they made WoW and D3 and such.

Turns out, it wasn't a great idea because dota had still a huge following at the time and was still fresh in the memory of many players who couldn't stomach the old WC3 client but didn't find LoL nearly as fun, so it was perfect to kickstart the game, especially if you offered strong competitive options for a game that already had at the time a thriving competitive scene. You didn't need to inject a ton of money into the scene to make it live, the scene was already there, they just needed a modern looking game to grow. That's why running TI early on was such a smart idea and probably one of the best advertisement campaign they could have made, for a mere 1m(plus other expenses).

And then they even failed at making a better game than LoL. Game isn't terrible I think, but it's just nowhere near as good as LoL or Dota imo, plus they were clearly targetting the LoL audience but with the massive delay between the release and LoL's and HotS' monetization systems, which encourage playing only that game to improve your account so you don't spend too much money, it made little sense for people who had been playing LoL for 3years or whatever and had unlocked every champion, had multiple runepages with all the runes and all that to move to a new game requiring the same amount of effort. While moving from LoL back to DotA was easy as fuck for people who wanted to, since you know, everything was unlocked for free anyway.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Islands are ok, I think. The only bad part is that the grind to get everything from it is horribly long. I do 10-12 a week, and got like 3 pets (and a dup) and 5-6 xmog items that aren't even in the same set.

(almost everyone by now knows that you skip everything and rush every rare you can find for max loot)

Weirdly enough its more useful in a lot of ways to do islands with lower level character than higher ones. Doing normal islands on my lil horde priest alt I have 4 pieces of 310 "transmog" gear and gotten like 8 pets. I don't know why my lil priest is doing that much better getting stuff to drop than my maxed levels but so far it has worked that way. Also the gear you get being 310 boe stuff means you can pimp out alts pretty easily now with gear that pushes their ilevel up pretty good once they hit 120 to speed up the gearing to 320 for full access to raids/warzones.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
And the blues that drop are 325.

I don't know why those items don't scale though, it would make islands a real leveling alternative other than just for grinding for faster exp (until you get to around 116 where it starts to become slower than just questing).

Islands are not a failure and I don't understand why anyone would call them such. They just need to be refined and they will be a very fun alternative to questing to level a character. For certain classes they are already much more fun than questing.

Warfronts are the same. The idea is fine, the execution is hysterical. Once a month and the turn ins don't actually move the progress at all, they just give you AP. Both are workable but it doesn't even matter because they will be abandoned or nerfed (islands already were).

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That’s really dumb. They hired Kaplan and co because of how they did playing EQ. Gamers hiring gamers. And you got the wonder of vanilla wow (and I’ll lump TBC in there too).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
And the blues that drop are 325.

I don't know why those items don't scale though, it would make islands a real leveling alternative other than just for grinding for faster exp (until you get to around 116 where it starts to become slower than just questing).

Islands are not a failure and I don't understand why anyone would call them such. They just need to be refined and they will be a very fun alternative to questing to level a character. For certain classes they are already much more fun than questing.

Warfronts are the same. The idea is fine, the execution is hysterical. Once a month and the turn ins don't actually move the progress at all, they just give you AP. Both are workable but it doesn't even matter because they will be abandoned or nerfed (islands already were).

The upping of the loot dropped helped them a lot. Generally when doing my weekly I get at least a couple interesting things for not that much effort. Adding in the dubbloon vendor is a major about time thing but at least they listened and it looks like more stuff is getting added than the first stuff that came out and stuff they can add more too as time goes on. I think if they keep adding new invasions/events/stuff and maybe tweak stuff so like on heroic islands the last stage of the event spawns earlier they could be in pretty good shape.

Warfronts they also seem to be something they are working on. They mentioned a few things at blizzcon that could help a lot. First it sounds like they want to make it so the more contributions you make the better the rewards you get are which is a pretty solid way to incentivize that and the higher difficulty option could help them a lot. The default difficulty feels like a tutorial which makes them a lot more boring than they should be.

Edit I forgot to mention one big problem with warzons is they seem like they had the full expansion design made of how it ends up looking without realizing the initial launch is like a once a month kinda disjointed experience on warzones. I think once we get a second warzone or even a third then basically one is nearly always going to be available so would feel a lot more consistent.