World War Z

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So do I, like I said I'm just going to pretend the title isn't World War Z and enjoy a crazy Zombie flick.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It still looks bad even as generic_zombie_movie_01. The CGI just looks like something right out of a SciFi original. And what the fuck is with the human pillar of zombies? Or the wave of them crashing in to the bus? Looks more like a Tyranid swarm to me than it does zombies.

Yeah it doesn't look much like the book, but there are a few things:

- USS Saratoga (?)
- zombies in the ocean
- being forced to blow the bridge with hundreds of civilians on it to hold the zombies back (think that was in China?)

Would prefer a book adaption, but this doesn't look bad.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
It still looks bad even as generic_zombie_movie_01. The CGI just looks like something right out of a SciFi original. And what the fuck is with the human pillar of zombies? Or the wave of them crashing in to the bus? Looks more like a Tyranid swarm to me than it does zombies.
Heaven forbid they try something different in a Zombie film. Fast moving zombie herds that become unstoppable blobs due to sheer force and volume seemsa bit odd, but I could enjoy it. I get the feeling had they gone slow zombie traditional route you would be the first to complain about a lack of originality.

I think this looks great. The Scene with Pitt and family in the Car as shit breaks out looks amazing.

Like others have said, if this was called "Beginning of the End" or some other crap name it would be buzzing with fanboy love. But the name really suckers some people. I think its fair criticism, but to jsut flat out shit on what could be a good film based solely on the name is silly.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Fast moving blob zombies? Would could be more terrifying? If Zombies learned how to tie themselves together to form Zombie Gundam.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I think its fair criticism, but to jsut flat out shit on what could be a good film based solely on the name is silly.
Usually I might agree with you but in this case I think it's more than valid criticism. The film is titled "World War Z" and has tied up the rights for a film based on the book of that name pretty much forever. Instead of delivering a film that resembles the book, they've veered so far away from the source material that it is pretty much an "original" zombie film in it's own right.

To pretty much quote myself from an earlier post, what pisses us off about it all is that in doing that, they've ensured the World War Z we actually wanted to see on the big screen will either never happen or we'll have to wait for the rights to lapse in however many years. Yonkers alone was a battle I really wanted to see on the bigscreen and it simply can't be done with fast moving zombies.

Heaven forbid they try something different in a Zombie film. Fast moving zombie herds that become unstoppable blobs due to sheer force and volume seemsa bit odd, but I could enjoy it. I get the feeling had they gone slow zombie traditional route you would be the first to complain about a lack of originality.
1. They're just crawling over each other.
2. Fast zombiesisn'tdoing something different. Fast zombies are old hat by now. In fact, I think if you were to go through the entire zombie canon and stack all the fast zombie movies in one pile and all the slow zombie movies in another, you'd be shocked at just how few slow zombie movies there are. I think the trend has been that way for so long because there's an opinion in Hollywood generally that audiences (particularly horror audiences) are too dumb for a movie that actually evokes a sense of dread and so to fill the seats you have to resort to tricks (smash cuts and cheap violin trills designed to force the viewer to have a visceral experience that emulates fear). World War Z isn't a book about a plucky group of survivors making their way from fast-paced action scene to fast-paced action scene. World War Z is a book about the human experience of the end of the world. It's a book about the collapse of hope and human decency and its rebirth under very alien circumstances. Now that's not an easy thing to capture on film, but it's absolutely a movie I would rather see than this special effects eye-rape.
3. Huge hordes of fast moving zombies don't actually make much sense. If you can't get away from the zombie, you get eaten (and don't become a zombie). On the other hand if you have huge numbers of people who get bitten and then are able to get away, huge apocalyptic hordes make more sense.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yonkers alone was a battle I really wanted to see on the bigscreen and it simply can't be done with fast moving zombies.
They'll have some version of it I'm sure, but it just won't be the same. It's gonna be BANG POW! ZOMBIE TSUNAMI!!! Instead of the soul crushing flood that makes everyone realize just how fucked they are. Might still be interesting, but like you said it just can't be what it should with track and field zombies.

Iwazaru_sl

shitlord
I think this looks great. The Scene with Pitt and family in the Car as shit breaks out looks amazing.
For some reason this scene bugs me actually. Multiple shots placing them in the middle of the city, surrounded by cars, bumper to bumper traffic, and a garbage truck comes out of no where? I can see the bike zooming by between the cars ... but the truck would of had to of smashed through a dozen vehicles before getting to where Pitt was. You would of heard it coming if nothing else. It could be I've just seen the trailer to many times though. /shrug

fucker_sl

shitlord
For some reason this scene bugs me actually. Multiple shots placing them in the middle of the city, surrounded by cars, bumper to bumper traffic, and a garbage truck comes out of no where? I can see the bike zooming by between the cars ... but the truck would of had to of smashed through a dozen vehicles before getting to where Pitt was. You would of heard it coming if nothing else. It could be I've just seen the trailer to many times though. /shrug
no, you have not seen it too many times. You are very right actually. The scene is retarded but i'll avoid to rationalize it because it will only pull out of the closet all the action movie white knights with their "it's a mindless popcorn flick" mantra