Worst offenders of "zone rehashing"

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Playing Mass Effect 3 got me thinking about how the first game used the same environments for all the side missions. I've played other games that did the same thing such as Everquest 2 and Dragon Age 2. What other games are bad in that department?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
A lot of older games with "randomly generated" areas were pretty bad about this. Makes me specifically think about Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. The vast majority of the dungeons and towns were randomly generated, yet there were very few basic pieces that were randomly pieced together, so most ended up looking pretty similar.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everquest 2, same 1 zone with 3 different layouts, solo/group/em/hm versions for each one, all exactly the same just each with progressively more hp/damage output. 12 new zones right guys!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Daggerfall was bad for this.

Dragon Age 2 was terrible.

DAoC reused the same dungeon layout in each of the 3 realms, but had different kinds of mobs, different entrances and made it a different level dungeon for each realm, so you really couldn't tell.

Most MMOs reuse caves and minidungeons.

Szlia

Lost Dungeons of Norrath. 5 assets per theme and what? 8 set dungeons per theme using these very few assets? If stuff is going to be bland, at least make it random!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If one was to do a top ten of the worst offenders, Dragon Age 2 should be numbers one through five.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This was basically what came to my mind. 90% of Inn's, caves, and towers are (were?) identical when I stopped.
Caves yeah but buildings are by design since Warcraft was a RTS game.

What about EVE? Very few buildings with about four designs of each, limited planet types and the rest is a usually black skybox!

Szlia

What about EVE?
!

rrr_img_41735.jpg

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
WoW especially. Copy pasted Caves, Mines, Inns, and now rehashed instances and heroic versions of the same instances.

Halo. All interior was pretty much a copy paste. Over and over. And that library level. Ugh.

Alan Wake. Copy paste areas, but worse, copy paste gameplay. (Still a decent game in it's own right) Path, walk path, kill things, get to light, go to cabin, cut scene, repeat. Same cabins, same paths, etc.

Was that FF14 from the first edition? I have not ran into much in the 2nd edition.