Worst offenders of "zone rehashing"

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
DA2 was the only game I've played that made me stop playing because of all the content rehashing. I found it ruined any kind of investment I made in the game. WoW and Alan Wake also get my vote for pretty bad offenders.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
A smart/efficient world/level designer will use the same assets for multiple areas and use them in such a way that they are unrecognizable as being the same. Art isn't cheap, but it's obviously very easy to half ass and offend players with your halfassery.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
A lot of older games with "randomly generated" areas were pretty bad about this. Makes me specifically think about Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. The vast majority of the dungeons and towns were randomly generated, yet there were very few basic pieces that were randomly pieced together, so most ended up looking pretty similar.
I'd say Daggerfall was one of the "best" offenders though. Very few tilesets reused thousands of times but I never felt for a second I was in the same place twice.

I know Oblivion did it somewhat, in dungeons especially. And WoW's inns and caves came to my mind quickly too. But I never felt any game did it so blatantly or unpleasantly as Dragon Age 2.

It's not just about how much they reuse art, it's also how skilled they are at it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oblivion/Skyrim and WoW etc were much more acceptable because they had these massive worlds to fill. DA2 was much worse because it was a much more dense game.

To put it another way, Skyrim had 20 different tilesets used in 300 places and DA2 had 4 different tilesets used in 20 different places. The other thing they really got lazy on was re-using entire levels and locking a few doors.

Daggerfall is a bit of an extreme case for that because they set out to create a stupidly large world and unabashedly randomly used content to create it. But after 20 or so dungeons you're guaranteed to think, "Ok this room again" everytime you move to a new cell.

I think Mannimarco (King of Worms)'s dungeon, Scourg Barrow, used pretty much every dungeon block and was a real bitch to navigate through. I'd love to see it recreated in Skyrim. Or Castle Wayrest.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
I don't know if it belongs in this thread but between EQ vanilla and through kunark froglok model was 70% of the endgame enemies

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anarchy online, at releae everything was randomly generated. Everything was really the same.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Zone rehashing wasn't a problem imo. The outland zones reused a lot of assets but the dungeons were all pretty unique.

It did, however, reuse a ton of character models, but I'd say the scope of art assets was very huge for what they had to start with.

Silence_sl

shitlord
EQ2 is the worst for this, at least in the MMO space. 2-3 main dungeon templates in KOS xpac that were recycled in their entirety or in part. Their design mantra was a simple Ctrl+C Ctrl+V keyboard macro that was stuck in the on position.

They released an entire full-priced xpac that consisted of half a dozen small dungeon templates that the player could use to make their own dungeons. That idea fell flat on its nuts.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I don't know if it belongs in this thread but between EQ vanilla and through kunark froglok model was 70% of the endgame enemies
Wat?

Guk and Sebilis? Just because those are the only zones you decided to grind in doesn't mean that's all there was. 25% is a more realistic value.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Bullshit. 70% of endgame Enemies? How about Plane of Fear, Plane of Hate, Vox, Nagafen, Trak area in Sebilis, Chardok, Veril Sathir, Veeshan's Peak? Just because you had 2 zones that featured frogs heavily (Lower Guk and Sebilis) doesn't mean 70% of the first 2 expansion's endgame were Frog models.

If you're arguing leveling areas in both original and Kunark, I would argue Solusek B was just as used as Lower Guk, and lots of folks avoided Sebilis and went to Chardok and Howling Stones instead.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bullshit. 70% of endgame Enemies? How about Plane of Fear, Plane of Hate, Vox, Nagafen, Trak area in Sebilis, Chardok, Veril Sathir, Veeshan's Peak? Just because you had 2 zones that featured frogs heavily (Lower Guk and Sebilis) doesn't mean 70% of the first 2 expansion's endgame were Frog models.

If you're arguing leveling areas in both original and Kunark, I would argue Solusek B was just as used as Lower Guk, and lots of folks avoided Sebilis and went to Chardok and Howling Stones instead.
Not disagreeing with the overarching premise of the post but... weren't Chardok and HS ghost towns until their revamps?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Sol B for life. I fucking HATED Lower Guk.

HS was great but needed a pre-formed group usually.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Sol B for life. I fucking HATED Lower Guk.

HS was great but needed a pre-formed group usually.
Well ya. All the fucking plebs just gravitated to Lguk and Seb so there were always groups to be had (see: Swags endgame EQ experience)