XCOM 2

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wish there were more story missions more than I wish for a Long War mod at this point.

Then again, maybe a Long War mod could make some more interesting specific missions that happen in the mid game.

Sulrn

Deuces
If it follows the same EU/EW formula I expect an expansion to sneak in some nice story missions to change up the pacing.

As long as there is no fucking chrysalis whale-bursting - fuck that map. Nuke that shit from orbit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, an expansion will definitely help. I honestly didn't think EU was all that good until EW came out.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd like it if the Faceless came out after Vipers. "They no longer need to hide their forms" "Turns out we're wrong, look at these aboms!" "Thinmen are back; apparently we were wrong about the snakemen and that they are in fact a separate species and thinmen are indeed still cool and creepy and here to stay."

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vipers stopped needing to masquerade as Thin Men after the war was won, but the Ayys needed a more sophisticated infiltrator to deal with the resistance. Or maybe sophisticated isn't the right word, but they needed something that could actually pass for human up close, which Thin Men could not. Faceless are a more recent and specialized development.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vipers stopped needing to masquerade as Thin Men after the war was won, but the Ayys needed a more sophisticated infiltrator to deal with the resistance. Or maybe sophisticated isn't the right word, but they needed something that could actually pass for human up close, which Thin Men could not. Faceless are a more recent and specialized development.
That actually makes sense. Thanks.

Thin Men are still cool though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Laser Pack and Perk Pack. Laser pack creates a new weapon tier between magnetic and plasma, but it's basically worthless. They're gorgeous though so I used another mod to replace plasma with them. The Perk pack splits the 4 base classes off into 7 classes, and gives each one a third perk tree.

Sulrn

Deuces
I never got into the sadism of Long War, but wasn't it set in a similar manner and each tier filled a niche role? Or did they not tweak that nuance into the game like SMG'S for your non-combatants?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They didn't fill a niche role, the campaign was rebalanced so that you would naturally progress through each weapon tier, although it was pretty common to skip gauss. Or for the supremely ballsy, skip beam and pulse lasers.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Gauss were amazing, I always skipped pulse. Or at least, most of the pulse shit. Plasma always came so quickly after pulse it was typically a waste to invest in it. I think the only thing I used Pulse tech for was air-game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe you played before they added the super steep crafting requirements to tier 5 weapons. In addition to each weapon costing an assload of resources, each one also had to be built off of a captured alien weapon. Not that big a deal for carbines, rifles, and shotties, but every single marksman/sniper rifle, saw/lmg, mec, or shiv weapon required an alien heavy, which meant you had to successfully capture an elite for each one.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yup, I played the latest "final" release. I just didn't find those requirements particularly limiting. I usually had an arc thrower on any non-terror mission.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I never went anywhere without an arc thrower either. Doesn't change the fact that capturing elites is a nightmare. But props if you were able to skip pulse. I always rushed beams, then mostly skipped gauss for pulse. Although they did buff gauss a bit, I still don't think there was ever a better starting strat than the beam rush. Significant jump in potency in both the ground and the air, and you can upgrade all your beam interceptors to pulse in a single foundry project once you've unlocked the weapon tier.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah pulse air is definitely clutch, but Long War was always sufficiently... Long... Such that I picked up gauss, and pulse always seemed a side grade at best from gauss for troop stuff. Especially taking ammo into consideration.

Sulrn

Deuces
With my laptop dead an me out of town for two weeks I guess I'll have to wait and look at the specifics of the mod to see if it's worthwhile. As is, Xcom 2 tech pacing is a bit off. You can upgrade weapons or armor near immediately them is a long stretch until t3. Lasers would fix part of that, but I think the whole thing is busted with the "underdog" mentality if you don't get stuck using T1 for any reasonable time (although with my [lack of]skill level and game balance I suppose I am happy how easy it is to hit t2).

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Steam news says the long war guys are working on a co-op mod for Xcom2? That's fucking awesome.

I'm doing another Ironman playthrough right now and lost my favorite character, Lil' Thunder, to some fucking bastard.
I wrote her an epitaph on the memorial wall, which I've never done before. The feels, man. The feels...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh Dragonpunk isn't Long War. Props to them for their ambition but I'll be very impressed if they deliver even half of what they're aiming for.