XCOM 2

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yeah. "Hey look we got a thing that sends a team steam request from mission launch".

I says to myself "uh ok there's a start".

Yeah I'd be wildly impressed if they actually got this rolling. I'm hoping each player gets their own squad to control. I don't want anyone touchin' my damn dudes but meticulous me.

That said if it did work, could be some good times.

Sulrn

Deuces
Game is balanced for 4-6 Soldiers. If the mod adds more Soldiers the game needs to be rebalanced. If the mod doesn't add more Soldiers what's the point of making me wait on someone else who may or may not be using the same strategy I am.

Which brings up the issue of communication between players.

Honestly not seeing a good resolution to a turn based game getting multilayer coop that isn't designed for it from the ground up.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Game is balanced for 4-6 Soldiers. If the mod adds more Soldiers the game needs to be rebalanced. If the mod doesn't add more Soldiers what's the point of making me wait on someone else who may or may not be using the same strategy I am.

Which brings up the issue of communication between players.

Honestly not seeing a good resolution to a turn based game getting multilayer coop that isn't designed for it from the ground up.

Divinity: Original Sin is the closest and most recent analogue I can think of. That was a blast playing with a friend. If they can pull it off, it will be fun, but it'll be a complex undertaking, hopefully mitigated by XCOM2's supposed extreme mod-friendliness.

Also, 10+ years of high quality VOIP programs called, they said communication is a non-issue.

Sulrn

Deuces
Divinity: Original Sin is the closest and most recent analogue I can think of. That was a blast playing with a friend. If they can pull it off, it will be fun, but it'll be a complex undertaking, hopefully mitigated by XCOM2's supposed extreme mod-friendliness.

Also, 10+ years of high quality VOIP programs called, they said communication is a non-issue.

Again, I don't see this working out well for a game that wasn't designed for it from the ground up (a la D:OS). Wrath and I played D:OS coop and had fun besides him always finding a way to kill me in boss fights. However, coop was a core design feature from the start. There's a lot more to D:OS to engage two people than combat - Xcom doesn't have anything outside combat without completely rehauling the game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Again, I don't see this working out well for a game that wasn't designed for it from the ground up (a la D:OS). Wrath and I played D:OS coop and had fun besides him always finding a way to kill me in boss fights. However, coop was a core design feature from the start. There's a lot more to D:OS to engage two people than combat - Xcom doesn't have anything outside combat without completely rehauling the game.

Yeah, probably a good thing it's a group of modders not trying to sell it then, huh? I guess I just don't get the extreme pessimism toward a potentially quite fun mod experience. Sure, the strategic layer doesn't lend itself that well to cooperative play, but guess what? You spend 80%+ of XCOM in the tactical layer. I don't see a big deal personally, and I know one or two friends who would love playing ANY form of coop XCOM with me (and vice versa).

• 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I love coop rpgs, but tbh I don't feel interested in a coop Xcom experience. Kudos to them for trying to build it though, I'm sure there is an audience. Now where is a real long war mod?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I love coop rpgs, but tbh I don't feel interested in a coop Xcom experience. Kudos to them for trying to build it though, I'm sure there is an audience. Now where is a real long war mod?

No kidding. Guerrila War or something is coming together ok, but yeah I need my Long War dammit. Perhaps after the expansion dlc lands the team will announce work on it? One can hope.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They have their own project in development. I'm surprised they put out as much XCom 2 DLC as they did.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
They have their own project in development. I'm surprised they put out as much XCom 2 DLC as they did.

Yeah I was aware of their project they're working on. My only concern there is engine, assets, and polish. Which unfortunately can turn a technical/mechanical triumph into an average and sometimes downright bad experience.

Also, I totally just used all three forms of there/their/they're in rapid succession, correctly! Eat that, Internet!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So I've been waiting ages for this to hit the PS4 and when it finally did the other day I picked it up.

Holy fuck they made it way harder than the original. I finished the original on Ironman, meanwhile I've wiped on the first mission twice already. Mind control dudes on the first mission, wtf?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aside from killing the sectoid, flashbangs disrupt mind control and zombies. Also, sectoids take extra damage (+3) from melee attacks. I'd start out on commander to learn the game rather than jumping straight into legend.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Aside from killing the sectoid, flashbangs disrupt mind control and zombies. Also, sectoids take extra damage (+3) from melee attacks. I'd start out on commander to learn the game rather than jumping straight into legend.

Thanks for the tips. Redid the 1st mission minus copious amounts of alcohol and treating it seriously rather than as a typical intro mission and did much better. Game is jizworthy so far, and pretty much has everything the original was missing. Cancelling my date for tomorrow night as this game will require my unfettered love for at least the next few weeks. Now if only they'd make a worthy Jagged Alliance sequel..

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just wanted to pop in and say that this is probably now my favorite game of the last few years along with Wasteland II. I haven't even peeked at the last 60 pages or so of this thread as I wanted to play it unspoiled-- and inevitably I'm sure people have all sorts of criticism, but man am I having a blast. First time in about a year that I didn't leave the house all weekend and stayed up until 3am with the "just one more mission syndrome".

Having your Ranger sprint through a house, fly through a window in slow motion, and execute two sectoids with Reaper is about as virtually badass as a 43 year old WHITE MALE can feel.

Fadaar

That guy
It's too bad Firaxis isn't under the umbrella of EA (I can't believe I just said that) because a Star Wars game like this built from the ground up would be incredible.

Fadaar

That guy
I know I don't mean it like that, I just want them to be able to make a Star Wars game and sadly EA has ownership of those

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So where's my Long War, or is Guerilla War playable, etc? Anyone been up on this? My head has been consumed by Factorio (bob's) lately.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been crushing this in my free time -sometimes to my wife's dismay - is in my top ten ever.
200 mods and kicking
The best mod support I've ever seen (Steam Dominions 4, where's your Workshop??)

Ending
Teasing Terror from the Deep reboot? Please yes.