XCOM Enemy Unknown

Zulst_sl

shitlord
Didn't even know there was new DLC out for this. Definitely going to give it a try; preferably when I'm sober. After 3 or 4 drinks I start losing games pretty rapidly.

Fucking Sectopods.

Vinsent

Lord Nagafen Raider
Im excited to try it out. I wish the DLC had been fixing the second wave features instead though.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel like I'm missing something about this game. I've never played the series and really the last thing I played that was turn based was heroes of might and magic 3. I just beat the alien base on normal and I'm struggling to find a reason to continue. Is there some elaborate strategy that I'm missing that makes this more strategic? I generally just crawl around with a few guys on over protect and that seems to handle just about anything. I feel like even if I crank the difficulty up, I would be essentially using the same strategy. What am I missing?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Prova, do a classic ironman run. Don't quit at the first sign of trouble either.

You sound a little over qualified for normal. The game has some absolutely fantastic aw-shit moments to pull yourself out of.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah the game really is way too easy on normal, but the jump to classic is almost (but not quite) too much.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Definitely do a Classic Ironman run Prova. First game out of the box on launch day I started a Classic game because I played the crap out of the previous 3 turn based XCOMs so I thought I was past Normal, lost all but 1 guy on the first mission 2 turns in to some pretty iffy shots and restarted on Normal to try to ease back into things. Normal is fun for picking up the basics of the new mechanics but the tactical is just way to easy. Didn't lose 1 guy the entire game and got stonewalled by an end base glith that prevented any doors from opening after I'd killed all of the aliens in the third to last room. Restarted again on Classic Ironman and was right back to old school XCOM mindset. Lost some guys, lost some really important guys but struggled through it, figured out the satellite game and kept most of my countries happy long enough to build up a crazy good squad. Sat around for 6 months trying to find a battleship to shoot down at which time I'd lucked into 6 psychic troops who I sent on every mission and were all max rank by the Classic alien base mission which is just faceroll easy with 6 maxed psionics with max tech gear. Classic definitely feels like the balanced difficulty for the game. Want to check out the new DLC but unsure if it's enough content to warrant an entire playthrough to see (not that it takes a whole playthrough to see the new things just that I will play this game all of the way through again if I start back up). Waiting for Cydonia DLC.

Really happy that Firaxis pulled this one out, especially after how horrible the Jagged Alliance 2 remake was under the pretenses that turn based strategy can't sell.

nate_sl

shitlord
Playing on higher difficulties will force you to use your squad's abilities in an efficient manor. Eventually you begin to think in terms of the best order to execute your moves - I.E. First I'll rocket and take down the wall, opening up a shot for my sniper and an entrance for my assault to run through.

That being said, it can still become repetitive. What tends to happen though is you get lulled to sleep and suddenly shit hits the fan and three members of your first team are KIA'ed and its back to being a bit more challenging. Also, the first five to ten missions tend to be the hardest ones until your squad levels up a couple ranks.

Play Impossible/Ironman and it's a whole different ball game
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Fucking Cyberdiscs.

Don't know what I researched last to make them pop up suddenly. My snipers still only crit for ~10-12 I think... Cyberdisc has 20 hp and opens a can of whoop ass if it gets close.

Fuck.

Time to overwatch-camp it out until I get a few more soldiers trained into higher ranks. Only have 1 sniper max rank so far.

Saynac_sl

shitlord
Just beat the game on normal. Had a blast, but don't feel the need to start another round when I've a couple other games waiting in the wings. Definitely worth the $25.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
sounds like you need more HEAT rounds bro.
yeah I only have one of that spec and she was injured on the first mission I ran into them discs.
going to need to level up a more diverse selection of soldiers. playtime sucks atm though.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Got the chance to play some more and finallyfinallycaptured my first alien... a floater.
Game then told me to go get a UFO commander next.
Now I have a key and can assault the alien base. It's end of August so I've been slacking some.
On the upside, my guys have 12-15hp and laser weapons. Unlocked Plasma too.

Should I go for the base or wait a bit and build more plasma (sniper rifles especially)?