XCOM Enemy Unknown

Makkon_sl

shitlord
Got the chance to play some more and finallyfinallycaptured my first alien... a floater.
Game then told me to go get a UFO commander next.
Now I have a key and can assault the alien base. It's end of August so I've been slacking some.
On the upside, my guys have 12-15hp and laser weapons. Unlocked Plasma too.

Should I go for the base or wait a bit and build more plasma (sniper rifles especially)?
The base difficulty is dependent on how for along you are in the game, so you can really go after it whenever you want. The main reason to do it early is because it reduces panic across the globe which can be pretty handy at the start.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I missed that chance. It's September in my game now and I've lost 4 countries (all in the first 6 months though).

Whatever. Looks like I'm clean sailing now, panic in all countries on lowest level.

Fucking Sectopods.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If your soldiers could reach General after colonel and pick one skill that was not taken, which would you take for each class?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If your soldiers could reach General after colonel and pick one skill that was not taken, which would you take for each class?
Assault - probably double up on Sergeant
Heavy - Double up on Sergeant
Support - Double up on Sergeant
Sniper - Double up on Serg...j/k. Double up on Colonel

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just the bugs you love to see on hardcore runs

rrr_img_4640.jpg

rrr_img_4640.jpg

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
^^lol

I've played through this 3 times now and although it is an awesome game, I'm still waiting for them to enable the "marathon mode" that was disabled at release. I still find the game is just too short and rushed.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For repeated playthroughs, the game really needs a mute Dr Chen and the fake German option.

Kuldiin_sl

shitlord
X-com just won RPG of the year...

http://www.gamesradar.com/rpg-year-2012/

Great game though, almost 250hrs on it myself on the PC. Currently trying to get through Impossible Ironman, but always one little mistake completely fucks up a playthrough (like having wrong weapon equipped when flanking a mob, and not doing enough damage to kill it)

faithdies_sl

shitlord
So, you have a guy making videos about how hard X-Com is on impossible and then in the video he's running around uncovered and having guys run around solo. I'm confused.

loved xcom on ps1. i played the demo for this one and it really seemed linear on the combat missions. ill prob give it a try sometime next year tho.

i remember sometimes half my squad would be wiped before getting off the ship which usually took a few turns itself. i used to love blowing the fuck out of every field/building and causing fire everywhere. game was awesome, in the demo i wasnt able to blow up much so i was a little sad
frown.png

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So, you have a guy making videos about how hard X-Com is on impossible and then in the video he's running around uncovered and having guys run around solo. I'm confused.
Beaglerush is a great editing job/showcase of xcom on ironman impossible. His commentarries cross 2 diff saved games so far - the first obviously being his first attempt, its not a series of just victory or something. Its well edited. I've watched them all and just completed my ironman classic run (only mode I've played). Great resource.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
X-com just won RPG of the year...

http://www.gamesradar.com/rpg-year-2012/

Great game though, almost 250hrs on it myself on the PC. Currently trying to get through Impossible Ironman, but always one little mistake completely fucks up a playthrough (like having wrong weapon equipped when flanking a mob, and not doing enough damage to kill it)
The goal if Ironman impossible is not to have a squad of 6 colonels with no deaths at the end of the game, the goal is to somehow finish the game. You wouldn't believe how many dudes I lost on my playthrough, but as long as you succeed in enough missions, it will work out.

Kuldiin_sl

shitlord
The goal if Ironman impossible is not to have a squad of 6 colonels with no deaths at the end of the game, the goal is to somehow finish the game. You wouldn't believe how many dudes I lost on my playthrough, but as long as you succeed in enough missions, it will work out.
On that mission I ended up losing the whole squad, which then left me with not enough money to complete the Satellite Uplink in the first month, and then resulted in three or four members leaving the council. If I had done ok on that mission my 1st month would have gone excellently, and normally that mission I get through it super smoothly.

Too much OCD on my behalf, needing a 5 sat first month
smile.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
New to playing this game, I'm totally stuck on a mission to retrieve a downed UFO, there are 3 of the mind-control guys all in 1 room, and they inevitably mind control at least 2 of my guys right off the bat. Also doesn't help that they are up higher than me with cover, takes for goddamn ever to take them out, even with 2 snipers. Basically takes every med kid I have just to survive that fight, and I got nothing left to deal with the multiple packs of poisoning slim dudes later in the level.

Am I missing something with the mind-controlling? Just fucks my world up when it takes 3-4 people to land a hit on the mob to kill it, I'm going 3-4 rounds of combat with 2 mind controlled squad mates tearing my shit up.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I found assault troops to be the best with dealing with those guys. Run and Gun combined with Rapid Fire and just charge into their face and annihilate them. Need to kill them before they can mind control but like you're saying can be difficult at times. I only played through 1 normal difficulty non-ironman run though so mileage may vary. I ran 2 assaults with Run and Gun/Rapid fire and then the rest defensive build.

Desidero

N00b
If you know where they are, you can usually soften them up with a grenade/rocket. The other option is to use the explosives to create a new entrance where your guys aren't at a height disadvantage.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Am I missing something with the mind-controlling? Just fucks my world up when it takes 3-4 people to land a hit on the mob to kill it, I'm going 3-4 rounds of combat with 2 mind controlled squad mates tearing my shit up.
Hey, mind control is the best reason to bring a SHIV ;p

Also, line up snipers and then blow the wall open with rockets instead of taking the door is often effective. Having your stun-gunner standing near the likely MC targets can also save you some mighty expensive friendly fire*.

* Does not apply if you use Colonel McCoy the medic as your stun-gunner instead of ensign ethnic.

Hey, mind control is the best reason to bring a SHIV ;p

Also, line up snipers and then blow the wall open with rockets instead of taking the door is often effective. Having your stun-gunner standing near the likely MC targets can also save you some mighty expensive friendly fire*.

* Does not apply if you use Colonel McCoy the medic as your stun-gunner instead of ensign ethnic.
Is there a reason other than that to use a SHIV? I just built a Hover SHIV and feel like the thing was a waste of money. I used it to replace an Assault or Heavy (msn dependent) and I feel like it's handicapping me. Is there an upgrade in the Foundry that makes them more worthwhile to use?

This is my first XCOM game and I've generally been running 2 Assault, 2 Sniper, 1 Support and 1 Heavy on most missions. Is there a better squad comp that I should look at trying out?

Kuldiin_sl

shitlord
These are the sort of bugs we love on Impossible Ironman..

This was a fresh teleport in of three groups (the whole 8 from the first mission), not previous encounters.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Is there a reason other than that to use a SHIV? I just built a Hover SHIV and feel like the thing was a waste of money. I used it to replace an Assault or Heavy (msn dependent) and I feel like it's handicapping me. Is there an upgrade in the Foundry that makes them more worthwhile to use?
Depends if you are playing ironman or not - if you just reload to keep all your guys around, the shiv is worthless except as ethereal bait, but on ironman, there's often times when you'll have all your useful guys dead or in the hospital, and have to send in the rookies - upgraded SHIV is a hell of a lot more useful than a rookie.