XCOM Enemy Unknown

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If you haven't finished the game and plan to, I guess I should still spoiler this because the core game is so good..

Can we just have the real expansion that involves invading the alien home world and not all these little dinky retarded DLCs about russian/chinese wtfever agents that no one cares about?

My money is waiting, I haven't bought any of the other shit and don't plan to.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Never understood the complaints about the Slingshot DLC, it was tiny and cheap, and makes the early game smoother on the higher difficulties if you do the missions, that third mission gives you gobs of resources to build up with. This allows you to build up satellites and uplinks quicker, so you can set up a late game abduction grind by covering all but three nations in one continent with satellites.

The new expansion also looks meaty and looks like it will make the game much more dynamic. 40 some odd new maps, mech soldier upgrade paths, another upgrade path, new resource to collect, and new enemies. Seems like a decent expansion to me.

I love this game. Play it all the time. More than gotten my money out of it, even though it is a buggy mess at times.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I want interspace fights, a reason to build ships bigger than just the firestorm with plasma (fusion lance, hi)... multiple attacks at once.. something that really presses you at "end game" status. Once I had interceptors in the right places, even on classic... it was just "okay I got my firestorm on each continent, time to farm with no fear of loss". I want to get a firestorm on each continent with plasma and still be bracing for more. I want enemy snipers that make me have to play my uber arch angel sniper intelligently (oh I just hovered all the way up, alien sniper sees him np kills next turn).

If I can give one critical comment against the current XCOM, it's that it left me wanting a lot more of what it offered. This xpac looks meaty as hell for sure, but its not what they could sell for another full box price. One that I am certainly willing to pay. I would love to dust off "Stone Cold" Steve Austin again, what ya'll know about rifle support + heavies. Stunned many ethereals on him just because I could.

Would absolutely love to see an entire expansion that was devoted entirely to a massive alien home world invasion campaign. And I mean an entire story length expansion or more.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I think (hope) that based on the good reception and reviews that we'll eventually get a sequel that expands on the gameplay more. They need to do two things though, 1. Fuck consoles. and 2. Let Jake Solomon do what he wants. I watched the vids of the 2 previous incarnations of EU and there were some things that I thought were really cool that got cut/dumbed down.

Also, for anyone who still plays, has the Slingshot DLC and doesn't know - The DLC has a bug where every time you run the game it loads the content an extra time, which will keep increasing the load time for the Xcom base.

A guy wrote a vbs script that you can run periodically to clean this up. A link to the d/l and a copy of the script are posted here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.ph...3#entry8402585

Edit: Here's some video footage of the expansion, showing the mech trooper and some soldiers using a couple of the genetic enhancements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...T7x-pKyg#t=444

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Having an issue with the game maybe one of you has run into / knows how to fix. Just went to the base w/ the skeleton key, and every few moves the camera will basically displace itself and lock on a point somewhere off in the distance. Cannot move it, and if I zoom out to the point I can see move grids, the agents are still unable to move (but can throw grenades?). Shit is annoying and as an ironman, would rather not have to start all over if it happens again :\

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I've run into a similar problem occasionally on the Slingshot battleship. For me, it has to do with the fact that when you load the battle map the game loads the corpses and does their death animation again (this deja vu death can actually cause a soldier to panic, lolz) and that corpse is one that has fallen off the ship, floaters do this when they die sometimes. And also have some camera problems when the camera is following an alien pack that I haven't awakened yet. Tapping the Home key usually fixes it.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've run into a similar problem occasionally on the Slingshot battleship. For me, it has to do with the fact that when you load the battle map the game loads the corpses and does their death animation again (this deja vu death can actually cause a soldier to panic, lolz) and that corpse is one that has fallen off the ship, floaters do this when they die sometimes. And also have some camera problems when the camera is following an alien pack that I haven't awakened yet. Tapping the Home key usually fixes it.
Fraid not. Had only killed 1 alien, not near a ledge, and no soldiers dead. They can perform any action except move, camera's fixed, and no way through it (tried every key on the keyboard). POS ironman!

Raes

Vyemm Raider
If you want to send me a copy of your save file I can see if I can figure out what the problem is. PM'ing you my email address.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seen camera issues before but none that severe - always been able to play through them.

You verified that your mouse doesn't have a stuck scroll wheel or anything odd like that? Or your keyboard reporting Ctl is permanently pressed down or anything? Not had that specific problem with XCom: EU but have had some games go crazy with my last mouse when it was dying because of it misreporting a stuck button (and of course further back when I was trying wireless keyboards an would constantly have it miss reporting a key release).

Might not be relevant, but always a good thing to troubleshoot when you get wackiness JIC - sometimes they only manifest in some titles for those sorts of things.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I wish they would take the opportunity to add in more features from the original game like multiple bases or at least skyrangers/teams, larger urban levels and enemy invasions into the base. It appears that they won't though and the only thing that is really nice (for me anyway) is more maps, which they should have given us like a year ago if they wanted to keep player interest high.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Like a year ago, before the game was released? That would have been a neat trick. I much prefer that they've spent the time since launch working on this expansion than just designing a few dozen more maps.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Like a year ago, before the game was released? That would have been a neat trick. I much prefer that they've spent the time since launch working on this expansion than just designing a few dozen more maps.
You know what I mean and given how simple (yet fun) the gameplay is the lack of map variety really hurt the replay value after awhile. Especially the glorified corridor maps like the flooded street.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
XCOM and Shadowrun just need to get it over with and have a baby already.

It feels like this DLC is long overdue.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You know what I mean and given how simple (yet fun) the gameplay is the lack of map variety really hurt the replay value after awhile. Especially the glorified corridor maps like the flooded street.
I think the replay value is hindered more by the short and rather linear campaign coupled with the steep power curve. Once you hit midgame the battles become pretty faceroll. More maps will be great, but I wish they were a bit larger. I mostly play on Impossible difficulty now (after playing Impossible, Classic is way too easy) and they cram way too many mob packs on such small maps. Attempting to flank is a pain, and often one pack will awaken another, etc.

I'm hoping that all the additions and tweaks will make Classic more challenging, since Impossible can be a little ridiculous. A single missed shot can wipe your entire squad. Or, hell, even a successful shot. The other day I was doing the first Slingshot mission with a 5 man squad. Assault wounds the Muton, who then intimidates her. She panics and shoots one of my guys, he panics and kills another. Another soldier sees this and panics and shoots the VIP. Meanwhile, my squadsight sniper is chilling in the back, having a smoke and laughing his ass off. Fun times, lol.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
They need to give players better idea on how LoS works, I swear the aliens have zero problems shooting you through a wall on more than one occasion (and not the kind of shooting that kills the wall in the process).