XCOM: Enemy Within

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its an expansion for Xcom: Enemy Unknown, the strategy game, not the new 3rd person shooter.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Got to see some a gameplay demo of this at Pax, as they were showing off the gene modified soldiers and mech assault guy. Seems pretty cool. Mech assault troop had to be next to something for the kinetic attack but if it was, did ridiculous damage. He could aslo expend ammo to blow away cover. The gene soldiers vary in what they could do, but one example we saw was a guy who was super resistant to mind control and would kill someone who tried to mind control him. In general, doesn't look super revolutionary but they are sticking with what was awesome and expanding on it. Didn't see anything that seemed like it'd be underwater and not sure how well the mech assault stuff would translate to underwater.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Underwater was speculation on a sequel, way before this was announced as an xpac.
Nice to read on the improved abilities for your crew anyway.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Can pre-order on Steam for 10% off (originally 29.99). Release date is November 12th.

Sulrn

Deuces
Purchased JA:BIA around a week or twi prior to EU release.. comparatively they are the same class of game. Even as an older outdated and buggy game, BIA has far more depth and control than EU. Then looking at mod support, you have leaps and bounds difference in value.

EU unknown is a great game, but no it was not worth full box price. It was sorely ight on features and and missions. Felt like it was 90% finished, then the DLC confirmed that suspicion in my mind.

Tenks

WTF you're trying to say the base game of EU wasn't worth the cost? You're nuts.

Dyvim

Yeah the original game is like the only game last year i bought at launch and i dont feel ripped off or think i should have waited for a goty edition or such like i do with about every other game im interested.
Plus i picked that up for iirc 30 bucks total (using a -25% coupon on it)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Felt like it was 90% finished, then the DLC confirmed that suspicion in my mind.
The DLC is a three mission optional chain early game that gives you fuckloads of money and materials to conduct research with. Its almost a cheat to use it.

I'm trying to comprehend what you're saying here. How did this cheap little 3 mission DLC confirm to you that the game was only 90% finished?

People have been bitching about the tiny little DLC pack for ages. Meanwhile Borderlands 2 literally makes you buy extra character classes, and access to levels above 50, and entire sections of the game as DLC.

No bitching.

Holy shit. There's 139 dollars worth of DLC available for Borderlands 2 currently. Seems like borderlands 2 was a 30% complete game at launch if the criteria for 90% completion is having a 7 dollar DLC pack.

Tenks

I think BL2 gets a pass because the base game was still worth full price

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
And Xcom wasn't?

I've played that game like 15 times straight through since I bought it for full price and haven't regretted it one time.

Then I bought it again on my Ipad and play it before class constantly.

Now that I think about it. I haven't touched Borderlands 2 in months.

I guess different strokes for different folks but I found Xcom to be one of the most engaging and replayable games I've bought in a long time.

Tenks

When did I say XCOM wasn't? The games that get ripped for their DLC cashgrabs are ones that purposefully with held content to try and sell as DLC in the future. Generally making the base game suffer as a result. Neither XCOM or BL2 suffer from that even if BL2 is seen as a huge DLC packed game.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Your previous statement appeared to be implying that the base Xcom base game wasn't worth full price bro. My mistake for reading more into it than was there

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Purchased JA:BIA around a week or twi prior to EU release.. comparatively they are the same class of game. Even as an older outdated and buggy game, BIA has far more depth and control than EU. Then looking at mod support, you have leaps and bounds difference in value.

EU unknown is a great game,but no it was not worth full box price.It was sorely ight on features and and missions. Felt like it was 90% finished, then the DLC confirmed that suspicion in my mind.
Not to just blindly join the echo chamber here but, your opinion sir... its wrong.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
EU was worth the full price, but this DLC is not. $30 for a few maps, weapons/armor, soldier abilities, and a resource? Yeah, more MP shit that I'm willing to bet a lot of people don't give a fuck about.

It looks like a great DLC.. for $15-20.

Luckily EU was on sale almost all the time, hopefully this is too.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
EU had a lot of flaws tho...For one they dumbed it down a lot (you can see all the cool things they had in game that they took out to be more console friendly and shit in some of the conferences creator spoke at). The snipers were broken as hell making the game very trivial with 2 of them in the back with squad sight. Smoke was terrrrrrrible. The whole cover system was wonky at best and not being able to manualy target things that arent bad guys really sucked :\ Everything was destroyed by stray shots too easily (they fixed this in a patch later on so things would survive longer). The mech unit was HORRIBLE. You basicaly had to give up a good spot for one...It should have been a free spot to bring it along on every mission or something... Base building was only a shadow of what it was in other xcom games, most choices were inconsequential past the first month (aside from stocking up on the right airplanes). Having only one base was a bad design choice and took away the fun of strategic base placement from other xcoms. Soldiers basicaly all having identical stats unless you moded it... Lasers becoming obsolete extremely quick...

Like I could go on like this for a few more paragraphs but it was still a very good game I dont regret buying. People need to stop blindly defending it. It was amazing mainly cause it was the only solid triple A turn based game in like forever based on a great franchise where they didnt completely fuck up. And it was pretty damn enjoyable in a shit year for pc games.

When I finished the game my initial reaction wasnt "WOW BEST GAME EVER", it was "WOW THIS COULDVE BEEN SO GODDAMN GOOD IF THEY DIDNT DUMB IT DOWN SO MUCH AND HAD WAITED A FEW MONTHS TO POLISH IT".

Also the DLC was horrible and a waste of money.

nate_sl

shitlord
Got enough enjoyment out of the first to warrant day 1 purchase. One of my favorite games of all time. Shut up and take my money.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Got enough enjoyment out of the first to warrant day 1 purchase. One of my favorite games of all time. Shut up and take my money.
Agreed. I pre-ordered as soon as I saw it. I need more Xcom in my life.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
EU had a lot of flaws tho...For one they dumbed it down a lot (you can see all the cool things they had in game that they took out to be more console friendly and shit in some of the conferences creator spoke at). The snipers were broken as hell making the game very trivial with 2 of them in the back with squad sight. Smoke was terrrrrrrible. The whole cover system was wonky at best and not being able to manualy target things that arent bad guys really sucked :\ Everything was destroyed by stray shots too easily (they fixed this in a patch later on so things would survive longer). The mech unit was HORRIBLE. You basicaly had to give up a good spot for one...It should have been a free spot to bring it along on every mission or something... Base building was only a shadow of what it was in other xcom games, most choices were inconsequential past the first month (aside from stocking up on the right airplanes). Having only one base was a bad design choice and took away the fun of strategic base placement from other xcoms. Soldiers basicaly all having identical stats unless you moded it... Lasers becoming obsolete extremely quick...

Like I could go on like this for a few more paragraphs but it was still a very good game I dont regret buying. People need to stop blindly defending it. It was amazing mainly cause it was the only solid triple A turn based game in like forever based on a great franchise where they didnt completely fuck up. And it was pretty damn enjoyable in a shit year for pc games.

When I finished the game my initial reaction wasnt "WOW BEST GAME EVER", it was "WOW THIS COULDVE BEEN SO GODDAMN GOOD IF THEY DIDNT DUMB IT DOWN SO MUCH AND HAD WAITED A FEW MONTHS TO POLISH IT".

Also the DLC was horrible and a waste of money.
Spot on analysis of everything I thought about the game.... I'm VERY glad I got it for free from PS+ subscription, I would have regretted paying full price for it, (although probably worth 20 bucks or so to me just for the 1 playthrough).

I actually kind of preferred how smoke was handled in this game versus the old school though, just needed to be a bit bigger of a buff and usable more than once per mission. Also, I definitely preferred how Starcraft 2 handled unit upgrades in HoTS a million times better than the unit upgrades in XCom, most of the time I didn't know if something was amazing, or ass, unless I'd tried it... and it was even worse that they hid future upgrades, so you couldn't tell which abilities would have synergistic effects.