Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1000001973.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

My first thought was "that was only 30 years ago, seems like it was a lot longer". Then I realized I was confusing wolfenstein with doom. Confirmed old.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My first thought was "that was only 30 years ago, seems like it was a lot longer". Then I realized I was confusing wolfenstein with doom. Confirmed old.
That made me curious, so I checked wiki. Apparently Doom and Wolfenstein 3D were only released a year and a half apart. mindblown.gif
1702316674287.png

1702316707059.png

• 2Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
That made me curious, so I checked wiki. Apparently Doom and Wolfenstein 3D were only released a year and a half apart. mindblown.gif
View attachment 503877
View attachment 503878

yeah I didn't realize they were released so close either. But there were other wolfenstein games before wolf3d basically invented the FPS format. So it's not surprising that it feels older.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah I didn't realize they were released so close either. But there were other wolfenstein games before wolf3d basically invented the FPS format. So it's not surprising that it feels older.
That was Wolfenstein 3D:
1702323109867.png

• 2Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
bro I literally said that. The cool kids all called it wolf3d because that's what the file was named.
oh sorry, I misread your last post as saying an earlier wolfenstein games was the first fps. Apparently I am getting old, words are hard

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I always took needing to turn on subtitles as a sign of getting old. But recently I've been rewatching old TV shows like Fall Guy and it dawned on me that I don't need subtitles for those. In fact I turn them off because they tend to block out Heather Thomas's ass. Everything they say is perfectly clear an intelligible. So what's really happening when we have to turn on subtitles is that the kids making shows today don't have a fucking clue what they're doing.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I always took needing to turn on subtitles as a sign of getting old. But recently I've been rewatching old TV shows like Fall Guy and it dawned on me that I don't need subtitles for those. In fact I turn them off because they tend to block out Heather Thomas's ass. Everything they say is perfectly clear an intelligible. So what's really happening when we have to turn on subtitles is that the kids making shows today don't have a fucking clue what they're doing.
Old tv had a standard. Old people watched tv and they weren't going to watch if they couldn't hear it. So everything is loud and clear on old tv.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Old tv had a standard. Old people watched tv and they weren't going to watch if they couldn't hear it. So everything is loud and clear on old tv.
Had a friend a long time ago that was going to college to be an audio engineer or something like that. He would get excited for new cds because they were recorded well, not because he liked the music. It's kind of a terrible thing to point out to someone because after paying attention to it for a while, everything else starts to sound muddy. It's kind of like teaching someone what bad kerning is (if you're unfamiliar, don't google unless you like being mildly annoyed more often than you already are). There are some creators who really care about getting everything right, but most of them are in the "just ship it" category. Even though all of the equipment (in terms of relative technical capability at least) has probably fallen in price by orders of magnitude since then, these days, it's probably hard to get people who actually care about anything. They're probably using fucking iphones these days.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Had a friend a long time ago that was going to college to be an audio engineer or something like that. He would get excited for new cds because they were recorded well, not because he liked the music. It's kind of a terrible thing to point out to someone because after paying attention to it for a while, everything else starts to sound muddy. It's kind of like teaching someone what bad kerning is (if you're unfamiliar, don't google unless you like being mildly annoyed more often than you already are). There are some creators who really care about getting everything right, but most of them are in the "just ship it" category. Even though all of the equipment (in terms of relative technical capability at least) has probably fallen in price by orders of magnitude since then, these days, it's probably hard to get people who actually care about anything. They're probably using fucking iphones these days.

I produce music, and I can tell you by listening to cds or whatever what kind of mics they used. There's a different hiss quality between JBL and Shure, for example. Production is so important and so under valued.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the olden days, TV was shaped by radio guys and the radio guys set the original standard for audio quality. people took pride in their work because the show had to be heard clearly. advertisements were also higher volume so if you took a piss during the commercial, you still heard the ad.

• 2Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I produce music, and I can tell you by listening to cds or whatever what kind of mics they used. There's a different hiss quality between JBL and Shure, for example. Production is so important and so under valued.
Which “Producer Reacts!” YouTube channel is yours? :D

• 1Worf