You know you're getting old when.....

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I added an overhead light above my recliner for when I'm reading.

That sentence made me feel so old I can't stand it.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
In my experience with my father, you tend to lose the ability to read in low light earlier than needing reading glasses. He's used his phone flashlight longer than the combination of both

An eye doctor told me the same thing and it checks out. It gets harder to read in low-contrast environments and a flashlight, increasing phone brightness, etc helps.

So that just means I'm on my way to needing readers? no macular degeneration or some other bullshit of the sort?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, I added an overhead light above my recliner for when I'm reading.

That sentence made me feel so old I can't stand it.
You can stand it? You have one of those recliners that lifts you out if it too??

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You can stand it? You have one of those recliners that lifts you out if it too??

Dude, I'm not that old!

mad-monkey-mad.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Got a question. Not too long ago I discovered that when I'm having trouble reading fine print, shining a bright light on it is at least as good (maybe slightly better) than using a magnifying glass. Is that a normal condition? Doesn't seem normal and I've never heard anyone else talk about it.

I first noticed this when trying to read the expiration date on the tip of a toothpaste tube. Felt like trying to read something in a dream, WTF was wrong with me? Totally normal for old bastards apparently. I still bring a mini flashlight for the tiny router / switch print in those dark comms closets :p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

Does any place still have coat racks or hooks?
Last place I can think of was a dentist office. Remember Hardee's having a roll of hooks. My first grade classroom had a coat room.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Everyone over 40 is on their way to needing readers.
soon...
bc5abf9cf713c466398674a99558820c.jpg

i have one eye that is near sighted and 1 eye that is far sighted, my prescription hasn't changed but my eye doctor gave me two prescriptions 1 for driving (i actually don't need glasses cuz 1 eye is 20/20 but it does help w/ night driving) and 1 for reading.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
soon...

i have one eye that is near sighted and 1 eye that is far sighted, my prescription hasn't changed but my eye doctor gave me two prescriptions 1 for driving (i actually don't need glasses cuz 1 eye is 20/20 but it does help w/ night driving) and 1 for reading.

Could have gotten bifocals, or even bifocal contacts. My wife has bifocal contacts, and she often only wears the one she needs for reading.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Fuckkk..... Concerts, working around loud equipment, and loud headphones really do hurt your hearing. Man I am going to be 50 in June and I already have the transition glasses and now hearing aids?!??!?!?!

Capture.JPG

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fuckkk..... Concerts, working around loud equipment, and loud headphones really do hurt your hearing. Man I am going to be 50 in June and I already have the transition glasses and now hearing aids?!??!?!?!

View attachment 515089
i just walked past the eye/ear station in costco, it's a free exam...

not 1 patient w/ hair color tho

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 515089

Is this an online / home test? I'd be extremely doubtful of the results. I get my hearing tested for work yearly and they stick you in a soundproof cabin with a special calibrated headset. I don't see how you'd replicate any of that at home.
Some loss is normal but it depends on the frequency range where the loss is how much it will impact your life (understanding speech is the major issue)

Goatface

1708352079592.png

don't even drink and my first thought, this party is going to totally mess up everything the next day

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
soon...

Within the past few weeks I've had to pull my glasses up to read some things or hold my phone further away. FUCK

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I decided about 15 years ago that I wouldn’t consider myself old until I can’t do an unsupported hand stand. Realized while typing this up that I hadn’t tried one in a while…… still got it. Definitely less comfortable than it used to be though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user