Your best raid or mass pvp experience across the genre?

businesscats_sl

shitlord
PVP: Lineage 2. Beta through C3 or until whenever brez/bsoe was introduced. Killing people and knowing you just cost them an entire day's xp made it so rewarding.

PVE: NA/EU first Antharas kill in Lineage 2 was pretty cool, but my guild's first Sarth+3 kill during a 5.6 earthquake and still not dying to those fire wave things wins.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Wiping to Twin Emps over and over and over and over and over ad nauseam.

One of our attempts a priest from our rival guild was using an exploit by sending tells to our healers to get them to DC (i forget how it worked). I called him out on the forums for being a faggot and his own guild booted him and he was blacklisted on the entire server.

PvP/ As mentioned before I was in our BG group for our server first Grand Marshal. Once he realized that he was going to get the title the next tuesday he started crying/weeping on teamspeak. The idea of competing against your own faction is still, in my mind, the biggest fuck-up in mmo history.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
PVE- Ulduar. Still my favorite raid design ever. The council in BT was memorable. BWL had a great pace to it.

PVP - AB on my paladin in Vanilla. While our AT ran to their gate, I would just try and hold off mine solo. Spamming flash for 5+ minutes, and bubbling when need be.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
PvE: Early EQ raids, trak/chardok, epics
PvP: Vanilla WoW - pairing my Priest with my friends shaman, two-shotting practically everything with a then, un-nerfed Ironfoe+Windfury. GG. It really got boring after a few AV's where he raped just about everything that came his way.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I never was into PvP when I played EQ (did some in EQ2 but didn't play MMOs after that and never played WoW except in Beta), so my first real open world mass PvP experience was GW2. It got repetitive eventually but for the first few weeks it was really awesome. All the fights and comebacks and long struggles were a lot of fun and some of my best MMO experiences. I didn't think any MMO could get me hooked again but it did that for a little while. Defending Stonemist against two other servers when everyone was really working together (and not PvEing or having two dozen people in the jumping puzzle) was a really epic experience.

If only it had more persistence and/or different maps/environments. Still worth it while it lasted.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't remember exactly when it was, but it must have been pretty early into Everquest. I had an account with a char on Rallos Zek, and we did a Plane of Fear raid. Another guild decided to crash the party. It was absolute chaos between "breaking" into the zone and PVPing in the zone. People would be fighting and one of those little imp fuckers would teleport people away. Was a fucking blast though. If you thought a CR in PoF was hard, try it with another guild killing you.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
PVE: Vanilla Naxx - Fury warrior w/ dual servo arms was good times. 4-Horse was fun and unlike anything in the game before it.

PVP: Stranglethorn ganking on a rogue. Sad that my best MMO memories are from (vanilla) WOW.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
Most satisfying PVE was probably downing Rathe Council. We were one of the first couple guilds to do so. It wasnt so much of the accomplishment itself as it was SoE cockblocking everyone out of unfinished PoTime by keeping it unkillable. I want to say we had to wait months before it was patched, but once it was defeated I remember actually jumping out of my chair with fists on the desk and saying "Fuck yes!" lol
Rathe Council....no no no no no no no
[7:12 PM] Assist on Rathe Council Member
[2:03 AM] WOOOOOOOOOT SERVER FIRST!

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Rathe Council....no no no no no no no
[7:12 PM] Assist on Rathe Council Member
[2:03 AM] WOOOOOOOOOT SERVER FIRST!
Damn you were fast, mad respect. I think I spent whole day/night cycles repeating the same spell while the tank teams got their shit in order.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
PVE: Vanilla Naxx - Fury warrior w/ dual servo arms was good times. 4-Horse was fun and unlike anything in the game before it.

PVP: Stranglethorn ganking on a rogue. Sad that my best MMO memories are from (vanilla) WOW.
Not sad at all. Wow was truly great at its height.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
PVP

1A- First few weeks on Tallon-Zek helping lead the Dark team march under Freeport to ninja swim onto boat. About forty of us made it to Kaladim to wreck havoc. I feel like only six us made into Greater Faydark before getting raped by guards and 1,000 elves.

1B- Shadowbane beta when Covenant of Swords built that fortress of a city in the southern center of the map with 90% of the server vs that fortress for 24 hours straight. Just brutal fighting....

Irongut_sl

shitlord
PVE: Waking this guy up on the Innoruuk Server. If we didn't wake him the other top guild on the server Legions of Darkness would have done it the next day most likely. The spawn racing between our guilds was something else.

rrr_img_44462.jpg

PVP: Warrior so totally useless in pvp sigh.

RIP Innoruuk server.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Genuine question , and slight hijack so apologies in advance.

With so many on boards/threads like these , and even a few folks I've met and spoke with in person saying Vanilla AV marathons were one of their fondest memories of WoW , and they hate current AV , what was/is Blizzards reason for changing it so much ?

I love PVP, from Lineage 2 , oh shit I may drop my weapon if I die , to DAOC frontiers and so on , but I also thoroughly enjoyed Vanilla AV also. One particular Sat a friend and I made in an early AV pop (this was before any X-server queues ) , and it ended that night around 2am and I loved the back and forth fight with both sides digging in to defend our general multiple times.

It just strikes me that it's a sign of just how out of touch a dev can be , to see so many PVE / PVP / casual and hardcore alike folks seem to agree on X , but for some reason X can't be found anymore.

Just curious as I don't remember the given reason for changing AV from a long battle where much fighting was done , to a timed speed run.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just curious as I don't remember the given reason for changing AV from a long battle where much fighting was done , to a timed speed run.
Games would last days and queues would get really bad on servers with lopsided faction distribution. A lot of people simply couldn't get in and complained that you could stalemate (especially at the bridge alliance side) for very lengthy periods of time. Couple that with the fact that you got very bad honor rewards unless you were in the game when it actually ended and that led to tons and tons of afk botting.

The design was fun, the implementation wasn't. That has more to do with the nature of the people playing the game than anything else though.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The nature of the people playing and Blizzard accomodating them is probably the reason for 99% of changes in the near-decade of WoW. And even if most here no longer appreciate it, I bet there are people every experiencing stuff in WoW that they would consider worthy of this thread.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Server first Onyxia kill during vanilla, pre-nerf that allowed fearward to stop her ae fear. Total clusterfuck of a fight with people running around everywhere and the dragon spinning around and breathing on people wearing shitty green and blue with like 1 or 2 purple pieces at most. Great group of people, it was a great time.

Another hilarious one was trying MC for the first time, pre-conquest guide. It was more of a scouting expedition to see what was there, but I remember the first giant pull being one of the scariest things. We maybe only had like a dozen max-levels, the rest were still 58-59. It was a nice break from 40-man farming scholomance for blue loot. It obviously was a disaster, but a lot of fun.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
PvP - Eve. Many experiences, but 18 dudes in subcaps killing 88 and the organization behind taking out the other main player in wspace at the time are two that come to mind.

PvE - early WoW, like Deadmines. First encounters with properly scripted instances - pretty cool. Raids and stuff and Onyxia especially was fun too early on but deadmines really drove home the possibilities.

Nulolan

N00b
PvE, I have to say the most fun I've had is controlling the mobs/situation, whether that be keeping 8 frogs locked down in seb on my chanter or pulling ToV drakes single with my monk... or pulling any named to any zone line single with the bard during pop+. Really gave the feeling of making or breaking the group/raid and tbh was pretty exhilarating.

It's a damn shame that element is all but gone in MMO's these days.