Your Own Photography

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd love to do winter, it poses some problems though the UP sees an obscene amount of snow during the winter. The house we normally setup at during our trips usually sees 2-3 feet of snow, not sure any of the cars I have at my disposal would be able to navigate the roads up in the porkies with those kinds of conditions
frown.png
I've got a ton more from these trips but I don't want to spam the thread with a bunch of it. Here's one more before/after of the Summit Peak which is I think the highest elevation in the state park (there's a man built tower there to get you above the tree line), Lake Superior is in the background. Also a night shot of the bay that the house overlooks:

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Very cool, I've been wanting to do stuff like that (HDR right?) I just picked up a Rebel T3 about 2 weeks ago since I wanted to get a DSLR figured it'd be a good starting point (the shots i've been posting were taken with a Canon SX 10 IS which is basically a point & shoot with a decent non-swapable lens :p). Gotta start looking up guides & read up on stuff.

And for a change of pace/non-nature stuff couple photos from Ultra Music Festival. Rabbit In The Moon possibly one of the craziest and best live acts I've seen @ UMF 2010 & one of Armin Van Buuren headlining the main stage in 2009:

Drek_sl

shitlord
Long exposure shot, I think that one is 3 seconds long.

Love that 2nd last concert shot. Surprised by the lack of noise with such low light!

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got bored and decided to do a 3 mile walk around a place called Nelson Lake near by on Sunday. Surprisingly nice day didn't even need a coat in the middle of October :p

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I did a maternity session with a couple of really good friends of mine. This was really my first experience in dealing with "models" and I have to say, trying to pose people is a whole added dynamic on photography that I found very challenging. I had a ton of fun on the shoot and learned a lot, but once I got the photos into the editor there are so many small details with the poses that I would do differently, but I just missed them due to my inexperience and the pace of the shoot. Still loved doing it. Shot the whole thing on a 1.4 Sigma 50mm and fell in love with the lense. Not mine, one of my parents but I'm not giving it back till they absolutely make me
wink.png

(They were kind enough to allow me to share a few shots)

rrr_img_47996.jpg

rrr_img_47995.jpg

rrr_img_47993.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, it doesn't exactly highlight the 'maternity' aspect of it, but combined with the rest of the shoot it tells the story and the shot itself came out really well. Plan with that shot is to try to take the shot in a similar fashion with the kid (hopefully) yearly.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have like 2 years worth of pictures that I haven't gone through and processed. I am going to start working on it but it's kind of daunting to start into like 2500 pictures now.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Weather's been crappy and cold plus with the season change all my hike spots are pretty much just large areas of exposed tree branches and overcast skies
frown.png
Waiting for the winter to hit if it ever snows there's some areas around here that would be kind of cool to check out and do some photos at.

One more from this summer:

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The crops on #1 and #2 give it a more 'intense' look but the skin looks better in #3. Also might be a lot of work but I'd see if I could edit out the reflections in the eyes.

Speaking of portrait shots, my Dad just pick up a pair of studio strobes/lights that I can barrow at any time. I'm hoping to do some boudoir stuff soon. I *doubt* my wife would be willing to let me share but we will see. My other potential model is far less shy, but currently very pregnant.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kind of partial to #3 as well.

Been looking at picking up a Lens, most likely going to go the refurbished route because from a cost perspective new just isn't possible. Got a $250 gift certificate for Amazon so i'm looking at either:

1)EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens + a 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (Combined when used/refurbished about $260 before tax)
2)EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (runs between $290-310 so i'll have to throw some extra funds ontop of the gift cert.).

From what i've seen in youtube demos and other reviews the photo quality difference between the 50mm f/1.8 & the 50mm f/1.4 is kind of minimal but in terms of part & build quality it seems like the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is more durable. On the upside my coworker has the 50mm f/1.4 and doesn't use it for much since he does mostly large format black & white photography these days, so he's letting me borrow it for a month to see how it is and determine if I want to order one.

edit: he also loaned me a EF 85mm f/1.8 USM as well.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Speaking of strobe lights and flashes, does anyone here have a yungnuo? Looking to get a speedlight for my lumix and they come highly recommended for power and price point. They have a ttl/manual version and one that is just manual.

Drek_sl

shitlord
I own the manual one and I love it. Great flash just make sure you get rechargeable batteries and a charger